help please. new drink idea needed for migraine issues.

Options
I am well on my way to changing what i eat and drink and i need to find a replacement for caffeine. I used to drink about 12 large cups of very strong tea a day and now ive cut back to one cup a day and replaced the rest with either fruit juice or fruit and herbal tea's but my migraines are starting to kick in because of that change. ive been doing this about 6 weeks now and thought it would have settled down but it hasnt. has any body got any ideas because i feel much better for not drinking tea besides the headaches. i dont want to drink things like red bull because it does send me a bit loopy and hyper.
any ideas would be much appreciated thank you. :)

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Way to go on your success!!! Congrats!!

I honestly don't have much recommendation for beverages, but one thing I'd recommend is taking excedrine ( even generic will do) . Literally THE SECOND you feel one coming on, take excedrine ASAP. It does have caffine in it, so it might help ease you into no caffine at all. In college I was a migraine-a-holic and excedrine was with me ALL the way. If you catch it soon enough, it can eliminate them altogether.

They do have LOTS of options for the water mix ins these days...I've seen everything from vitamin added packets to Energy drink packets that you add to water. That's about the only thing I know if.

Good luck and good job on a big change!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you cut down suddenly and didn't taper off from 12 to 1, you're most likely experiencing withdrawal headaches.

You may want to consider cutting back gradually/adding some tea back in a gradually reducing.

Otherwise, you just need to ride the headaches out.

6 weeks seems like a long time to be dealing with this, however...could it be connected to some other trigger?
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I too have migraines and have to watch the caffine. Just how fast did you cut back? I think it's wonderful you gave so much up, but if you do it too fast you can have withdrawl symptons and headaches just from cutting it off too fast. I had to do a step down type thing.....cut out about twelve ounces every two weeks to let my body adjust.

I let myself have about 24 ounces of caffine tops......ususally in the morning. I like decaf teas and crystal light as my main drinks.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I had horrible migraines for about 9 days while I was trying to kick the caffeine habit. Not sure if you drink coffee, but there is a coffee call Teeccino that is "herbal" and caffeine free. I would use half normal coffee and half teeccino to bring the caffeine fix down.... I copied the link below - hope it helps some.. Just hang in there, I haven't had a drop of caffeine in over a month and I feel much better. :flowerforyou:

http://teeccino.com/building_optimal_health/132/Quit-Caffeine-Painlessly.html
  • talzybob
    Options
    Hi guys thank you for the advice. i cut back by two cups a day every two weeks because i know when ive quit things before out right id get irritable and edgy along with the shakes.
    could it be the fact that there s something in the fruit tea's or the frit juice which could be a trigger? i know most of my triggers but some i havent been able to find.
    the link that was posted tank you so much i am going to look at that now and i will keep you all updated on what was causing it. thanks again guys. maybe stressing out about the headaches didnt help me much either :laugh:
  • mkinealy
    Options
    I had the same problem when I quit caffeine. I was easily 12-18+ cups per day. I found that drinking water, lots and lots of water, really helped keep the headaches away. Good luck!