Lost my taste for sweets?

Options
I am a sweets fanatic. I love all things chocolate. I would push through eating healthy just so i could occasionally allow myself to have something sweet (i know....weird) But lately i can't even put sweets in my mouth. It tastes gross. The only way i can describe it is....it tastes like chemicals? Almost like when you put too much equal in your coffee and it tastes all artificial and gross.(anyone know that feeling?) I mean, of course this is a good thing because now i'm enjoying my healthier foods, but what happened?! It's like this random switch that occurred within my taste buds?!?!

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    im the same way with diet soda and certain processed foods tastes like chemicals. yuck lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am a sweets fanatic. I love all things chocolate. I would push through eating healthy just so i could occasionally allow myself to have something sweet (i know....weird) But lately i can't even put sweets in my mouth. It tastes gross. The only way i can describe it is....it tastes like chemicals? Almost like when you put too much equal in your coffee and it tastes all artificial and gross.(anyone know that feeling?) I mean, of course this is a good thing because now i'm enjoying my healthier foods, but what happened?! It's like this random switch that occurred within my taste buds?!?!

That is unfortunate, I'll go with psychosomatic though
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That is unfortunate, I'll go with psychosomatic though

Yep, definitely psychosomatic.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Certain bacteria in the mouth can cause this. This could be caused by a change in diet or a temporary thing that will correct itself. Medications can sometimes alter taste as well, so if you've started any new meds that could be the cause.

If it persists and your are concerned you might want to see a dentist or your doctor. If you are not concerned, then just be glad you're not craving sugar and go on with your life.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? I noticed that the week after my girly thing I want to chow down on chocolate, then after I don't want anything to do with it for 3 or so weeks and it doesn't taste good anymore. I noticed the same thing with being pregnant too. With the first kid, I loved chocolate, second hated it, and third loved it. Then after I popped him out and started dieting not so much. Weird. I am usually a chocolate freak too :) Now it does not taste good and sometimes it makes me feel sick at certain times during the month.