Embarassing Moments at the gym.

Options
I wanna feel better about falling on the treadmill today infront of people, if youve done something embarassing let me hear it.

I was going for 2000 calories burned in the gym taking a break from the stair climber and my calf seized up at around 1771. When it cramped instinct was to grab it, throwing me 100% off balance on a moving treadmill (6.0 speed) and ended falling on my *kitten* but I didnt shoot out the back I fell onto the side.

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    OMG! 2,000 calories burned!!! How long does that take? Are you using a heart rate monitor? Or...are you going with the machine estimates?

I think that I'd have to be working out on those machines for like 4 hours to burn that much...and then I'd drop dead!!!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!
    LOL!
    Sorry - I'm perfect - I have nothing to make you feel better.
    Kidding - This is one of the reasons why I avoid those silly machines - I'd kill myself.
    That - and I am really glad that there are no video cameras in my basement where I work out cuz I'm sure when I do Tae Bo or any other DVD I would make Funnies Home Videos!
    We all have our moments - just brush it off.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    LMAO (sorry, it IS funny, especially in light of your signature line!)....but what a burn!!! I would fall off on purpose if I could score a burn like that :)

As for embarassment.....the fat/protien ratio recommended to me by a trainer has resulted in some rather astounding flatulence (in odor, frequency, and noise), I usually try for something WAY in the back of the group fitness rooms but once I was stuck right up front, right smack in front of the danged fan. :embarassed:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    LastFighter, Id not worry about falling. Ive seen my share of people who have fallen, even helped one poor lady, who was about 80 or so, really older woman, but I was really worried about her and made sure she didnt hurt herself

I think most people worry that people who fall need help,or want to assist. I guess, since everyone's in it together, we can all sympathize

I guess the most embarrassing thing for me was my frame of mind , when I first started the gym. I was 341, and really embarrassed to attempt to work out, so I started on the tread mill. Not knowing how to work out with some of the equipment was kinda embarrassing, but everyone helped me in the beginning, so hopefully, no more embarrassing moments for me, other than dropping my MP3 Player in the tread mill and having to ask for help to get it out from the belt......Good luck, Lloyd
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Our gym on base is two stories. I was on the second floor working on the stair climbing. I over did it and got dizzy coming down the stairs, fell on the last one, and landed literally at the feet of my husband's commander. I was so embarrassed........LoL.

Don't worry about it. We all have a moment or two that we felt well stupid.....LoL.
  • ginastnly
    Options
    I only had one embarassing moment at the gym, but I started laughing so hard I forgot about everyone around me. I was actually working out with a personal trainer. She had me resistance training on one of those machines that look like a bowflex. So she had me sitting on one of those medicine balls and I had to hold the weights and basically do crunches. Well toward the end of the rep she decided to have me old the crunch. Yeah that went well....I couldn't hold the weight anymore my arms went flying back and the weights pulled me backward and I landed flat on my back. It startled me at first because I was like "What the heck just happened". The trainer came running over, but my then I was laughing my *kitten* off!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen, but when i do intervals I sound like a herd of elephants. I swear the girl next to me ducked and looked around when I hit the sprint stage.
  • hlc1977
    hlc1977 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How about embarassing moments in general? I was playing slo-pitch about 5 summers ago and was up to bat. When I hit and took off for first, I managed to undo the top four or so snaps of my tear away pants. By the time I reached first base, my pants had puddled nicely around my ankles. As I stood there, pulling my shirt down, a teammate yelled from the dugout, "Pull up your pants!" To which I had to reply, "I can't bend over. I'm wearing a thong!" Another teammate had to come pull up my pants for me. Good times...good times.

I think its important to be able to laugh at yourself. Besides, the important thing isn't that you fell..its that you were working out! Keep up the good job!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have totally fallen off the treadmill..more than once..I hurt myself by sliding off weight machine and didn't notice the BIG OL BAR between my legs...grateful to be a woman that time...I can't do the stair machine as I always kick the thing at the top and have to catch my balance to not fall off...despite being an athlete I am quite a klutz
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not at the gym. But I biked right into a 4 foot tall 4 foot wide Orange road block thing in front of about 100 tourists at the Santa Monica Pier. Totally embarrassing. WTH.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Not my embarassing moment but someone elses...

I was doing my thing on the treadmill, and this guy on the treadmill in front of me released the most heinous gas I have ever dealt with. Even my child/husband's gas doesn't smell like this rot. O. M. G. I couldnt go anywhere, I was "stuck" on the treadmill... it was aweful.

At least yours didn't linger...

:sick:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that's happened to me personally (I tend to block those things out!), but I've heard more than one falling off the treadmill story.

You are not alone!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OMG! 2,000 calories burned!!! How long does that take? Are you using a heart rate monitor? Or...are you going with the machine estimates?

I think that I'd have to be working out on those machines for like 4 hours to burn that much...and then I'd drop dead!!!

He's a man, so it's easier to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time.

I did it once (to compensate for dinner out on V-Day) and it took three hours or hard-core cardio. I didn't do it all at once, though.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym and I see this lil stocky cocky kid wandering around with his lil chest all puffed out. I'm doing cable crossovers for my back and mid my rest between reps he walks over and starts to move the height adjust now mind you this kid was watching me use this machine. So me being the **** I am I walk up and am like dude I'm not done. He gives me this look, I precede to set the machine back and go along with my workout. He makes some comment and walks off. I start doing my crossovers and on my last rep the two clips on the handlea touch together and clip together. I had to hold one cable with my hand and try to undo the clips with my other without letting the cable go flying once I unhook them and allow the plates to smash together.

I did it. Lucky for me the twerp wasn't paying attention.....:)
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen, but when i do intervals I sound like a herd of elephants. I swear the girl next to me ducked and looked around when I hit the sprint stage.

I was like that when I started. Technically I wasnt at the weight where I was allowed to use the treadmill.