KFC’s Double Down Is Coming to Canada :(

Options
This was an article online in the Toronto Star - this is sad and distrubing. The article says it's for a "limited time only" but if it's successful, you know it'll be on the menu permanently! Ugh!

This sentence is REALLY disturbing: "Food-industry consultant Darren Tristano said the sandwich targets working-class consumers with less income who want to get more bang for their buck."

For a limited time, Canada can taste the fast-food fried phenomenon selling fast south of the border.

KFC’s Double Down, a bacon and cheese sandwich that uses chicken breasts instead of buns, is making its foray into the Canadian market Oct. 18.

It will be available nationally until Nov. 14.

The “most outrageous sandwich experience in the country” is KFC’s most successful sandwich in the company’s history – selling more than 10 million in less than a month in the U.S., according to the KFC announcement issued Thursday.

Each fried sandwich lards on 540 calories (or 460 for the grilled version), 30 g of fat, and 1,740 mg of sodium. Health Canada places an adult’s recommended daily salt intake at around 1,500 mg.

KFC Canada originally refused to sell the sandwich until it was first tested in the U.S. market. It started selling there last year.

For months before the sandwich’s debut, speculation went wild online about whether it would come to Canada or if it was a hoax.

Food-industry consultant Darren Tristano said the sandwich targets working-class consumers with less income who want to get more bang for their buck.

“It’s about quantity. Whether we like it or not, this product will appeal to a significant portion of the consumer base,” he told salon.com in April.

“It appears to be achieving the goal, which is to get people interested. Freak shows are disgusting, but everyone seems to want to go to them anyway. I’m probably going to try one.”

A new Ipsos Reid poll, conducted on behalf of KFC Canada, found that Canadians think people will want to eat the sandwich, but not as many want to attempt the feat themselves.

Of the approximately 1,100 adults polled, 90 per cent said they think other Canadians will give it a try. Only 45 per cent said they would take down the Double Down.

Replies

• toya860
    toya860 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't even look at that sandwich without gagging!!!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I agree..it is gag worthy. I felt that way about it even before I started getting serious with my diet/fitness.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    it makes me sick to look at it...all that grease...bleh.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    :sick: it's like the baconater! a heart attack waiting to happen
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Stuff like this should really just be illegal IMO. I mean....it does nothing to contribute to the wellbeing of our society. The govt is always going on about the costs of obesity and they allow this?? WOW!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's actually a pretty tame sandwich compared to what you can already get. Sure it has a lot of excess sodium, but it's a very "light" 540 calories.

You could eat a lot worse at a fast food joint, is all I'm trying to say. I think if I got one, I'd ask them to hold that special sauce, too.
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How ironic that "double down" is a gambling term....... seems like this sandwich is a huge gamble with your health and fitness
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Think about it. The grilled version is 480 cals, and has 60g of protein. Buy one, and split it with your significant other (or saved it for next days lunch). You're getting 240 cals, 30g of protein, & a respectable 4g of sat fat. Get a side salad with it and you have a respectable meal IMO.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Probably not going to have one, but it still makes my tongue hard.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    True...I believe a Triple Whopper has over 1,000 calories!!!!!!
    That's actually a pretty tame sandwich compared to what you can already get. Sure it has a lot of excess sodium, but it's a very "light" 540 calories.
  • SP0472
    Options
    I would respectfully disagree with anyone who says this is okay in moderation. 100% pure lard can be eaten in moderation too but I wouldn't include it as part of a healthy diet. Having said that, I will also say that I do believe that everyone has the right to eat whatever they want in whatever quantity they want.

I guess nobody else is as outraged as I am that they are specifically targeting low income families with this sandwich.

Edited to add : I also don't understand how they can call this thing a "sandwich".
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Edited to add : I also don't understand how they can call this thing a "sandwich".

Yeah...if it's not in between two slices of bread, it's not a sandwich! The double down makes me gag, yucky! It is relatively ok calorie wise, if you ignore the rest of the info...whatburger's fries are 680 for a large, at least this way you're getting protein.

But I'd never eat it. Ew.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    I would respectfully disagree with anyone who says this is okay in moderation. 100% pure lard can be eaten in moderation too but I wouldn't include it as part of a healthy diet. Having said that, I will also say that I do believe that everyone has the right to eat whatever they want in whatever quantity they want.

I guess nobody else is as outraged as I am that they are specifically targeting low income families with this sandwich.

So tell me, what's wrong with grilled chicken which is the main ingredient in the grilled version?

Why are you not outraged at the Big Mac or Whopper? They more calories, more sat fat, and less protein.
  • FrenchMob
    Options

BTW, you can be outraged all you want, it's not going to change anything. Until the goverment taxes the crap out of these unhealthy foods (like beer & cigs in Canada), and uses that tax to subsidize the healthy alternatives, it's never going to end.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The commerical's for it make my stomach queesy. Think of all that fat.....BLAH!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have to say that would appeal to my son. Hes a chicken monster and is desperately trying to PUT on weight. He's one of the lucky ones at the moment, 6ft1 and less than 10 stone despite eating food for a small village.Not sure if it will make it to England But I think my son would be first in the queue.

I also don't think its the worst thing on a fast food menu...not by a long shot and as has already been pointed out the grilled version is actually not bad at all with a decent level of protein, far better than your average hungry an hour later burgers.

I'm not a fast food fan at all, subway if I do eat fast food but I have no problem with someone having one occasionally if they can afford to health wise, obviously not for those on a diet or with health problems but the same can be said for almost all fast foods and take aways.

I do think its bad that they are targeting low income consumers but then I think most fast food joints do that anyway, they just don't advertise the fact.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    ...it makes you sick to think about, obviously you aren't their target consumer. There's SO much out there that's just really gross when you think about what's in it. I do remember a day when I would definitely have eaten it and thought it was the best thing ever! I am very glad those days are history!
  • SP0472
    Options

So tell me, what's wrong with grilled chicken which is the main ingredient in the grilled version?

Why are you not outraged at the Big Mac or Whopper? They more calories, more sat fat, and less protein.

The grilled version isn't being offered here. KFC doesn't offer the grilled chicken in Canada .... yet. I'm sure they will eventually.

I AM outraged by actually ALL fast food chains that market directly to low income families. This just happened to be the article that was in the paper today. They didn't have one about McDonalds or Burger King, but if they did - I'd post it too.

Like I said...people can eat whatever they want. I wouldn't tell anyone what to eat or how much to eat - if you enjoy the grilled chicken version, or even the fried version of the sandwich, eat away...that's not the point I was trying to make. That's not my place to tell people what to eat. I just think it's sad that THIS is what's being offered here. I was VERY happy when they announced they had no plans to offer this sandwich in Canada. But now they are offering it and it's likely here to stay.

And I don't believe that I/WE can't do anything about it. That's a very defeatist attitude. If people wouldn't frequent these places they wouldn't exist. That is ONE way we can do something about it. I wouldn't rely on the govt to wipe it's own a** - I'm sure as heck not going to rely on them to change the food industry.
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

• camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That sandwich scares me! LOL And i am not surprised that they would market this to low income folks. Its notsecret that fast food is heavy in low income areas and healty foods are more expensive so you will never see something like Whole Foods or Fresh Market in the "hood". Healthy is expensive for the most part, and unhealty is cheap.