Eating later in the evenings

Options
Does the time of day have anything to do with how your body burns calories? If I am within my calorie intake for the day, but I eat a large portion of them a couple hours before I sleep, will this mess up my weight loss?:huh:

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference. A calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight.
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,397 Member
    Options
    Dinner is when I tend to eat my biggest meal, which usually happens at 8 or later because I go to the gym first. I like it, because it prevents me from getting hungry and wanting a late night snack.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care when you feed it.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Dinner is when I tend to eat my biggest meal, which usually happens at 8 or later because I go to the gym first. I like it, because it prevents me from getting hungry and wanting a late night snack.
    I'm the same. I go to the gym straight from work and come home at about 8pm and I am absolutely starving. I usually eat about 1000 calories between 8 and 10 pm, t hen go to bed. If that's slowing my weight loss, so be it. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My body requires roughly 2,700 - 2,800 calories to maintain weight...that means that just being alive, and doing my day to day hum drum, and throwing in a bit of exercise, my body burns 2,700 - 2,800 calories in roughly a 24 hour period...so you tell me...what difference would it make if I ate at night or in the morning or noon or whatever if my body is going to burn those same 2,700 - 2,800 calories in a 24 hour period?
  • poopsiekitten
    Options
    I don't now if it matters for losing weight, but I know for sure it matters for your stomach and for your body having a restful sleep not eating heavy foods like whole eggs, red meat, fat cheese right before you go to sleep. Think of what is difficult to digest and avoid those foods at night.
  • golfdad01
    Options
    Thanks, it's what I thought but I have always heard the stories about eating late at night. I like to do my exercise after work and I just can't on a full stomach. If I eat first I am to full and lazy to exercise later at night. thanks again.:bigsmile:
  • RoosMommy02
    RoosMommy02 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it is best to finish eating at least 3 hours prior to going to bed. I for one can NOT sleep good if I eat a heavy meal and then go straight to bed so I try my hardest to finish eating by 7pm at the latest and I'm usually in bed no later than 10pm.