Oh come on!!

Options
Here I thought I've been doing so great. According to my scale at home I've lost 9 pounds. But I'm at the doctor's today and their scale said I've only lost 3! And I know I shoudn't focus on the "number" as much as the amount lost but come on! All I want is an accurate weight. Now I am left wondering if I need to throw out my scale's weight and start over by using the doctor's scale weight or just keep it as it is. I know that weighing myself at different times of the day will produce different results but it's usually only a pound or two different. Not 6!!

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here I thought I've been doing so great. According to my scale at home I've lost 9 pounds. But I'm at the doctor's today and their scale said I've only lost 3! And I know I shoudn't focus on the "number" as much as the amount lost but come on! All I want is an accurate weight. Now I am left wondering if I need to throw out my scale's weight and start over by using the doctor's scale weight or just keep it as it is. I know that weighing myself at different times of the day will produce different results but it's usually only a pound or two different. Not 6!!
    Just use the same scale for each weigh in. It's just an arbitrary marker of progress. Who know which is accurate.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh at the doctor's before you started, or are you just saying the doctor's scales say you've only lost 3 lbs from the starting weight your home scales gave? Because if it's the latter, then the doctor's scales would probably have started you off 6lbs heavier than your home scales.

All scales will differ slightly, it doesn't matter which ones you use as long as you stay consistent with one. Just use your home scales for each weigh in and don't worry about what other scales say.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The problem is you want an accurate weight - there ain't no such thing.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just use the same scale for each weigh in. It's just an arbitrary marker of progress. Who know which is accurate.

^^^This. Every scale will be different. As long as you lost 9 pounds on your scale then you've lost 9 pounds. Don't worry about what the number says on the scale. As far as I know we aren't required to go around with it emblazoned on our chests so it really doesn't matter which scale says the lowest number.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I know that weighing myself at different times of the day will produce different results but it's usually only a pound or two different. Not 6!!

Answering your own posts.. guess it can be 6.. or even more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You have to use the same scale...all scales are calibrated differently. if you're going to use multiple scales you have to have multiple starting points to compares apples to apples data...otherwise you're just comparing nonsense.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a scale, but I use a tape measure to keep track as well. Because I honestly couldn't care less if I was a pound or 5 up if I am an inch smaller. If you work out, t might be a tool you would prefer if scale numbers get you confused.
  • nosaby
    nosaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with my home scale. Thanks all.
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna take a guess but were you naked on the doctors scale? And are you usually naked when you weigh yourself at home?

Strip down to your skivies next time in the doctor's office :)
  • nosaby
    nosaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No and yes. And oh no because their scale is out in the open! lol
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes scales can be different but it's also very likely due to different circumstances

At the doctor's office: you had clothes on, and maybe even shoes

At home; you're probably naked when you weigh, or wear very little

At the doctor's office; you probably had food and water in your system

At home: if you're weighing first thing in the morning as most do, you're empty of most of that (especially if you weigh after using the toilet).
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find this scary though. I need to be under 30 BMI when the Doctor weighs me at my booking in in order to be classed as a low risk/ normal pregnancy. So I am waiting to try to conceive until I am there but how much buffer do I need to leave to be safe? 10lbs maybe? I am about 33 now.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I find this scary though. I need to be under 30 BMI when the Doctor weighs me at my booking in in order to be classed as a low risk/ normal pregnancy. So I am waiting to try to conceive until I am there but how much buffer do I need to leave to be safe? 10lbs maybe? I am about 33 now.

The only way to know for sure is to test it out. Weigh at your doc's office then go home (no eating or drinking in between) and weigh yourself there - same clothes, shoes, etc. Then you'll know what the difference is. You may still want a couple of pounds buffer on top of that just to be sure. If you don't have any appointments coming up, call to see if you can come in to use their scale without scheduling an office visit.
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're completely right and sensible - I'm terrified to do it though. I'm an idiot about this, I really am.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    When I go to my doctor for the weight ins, it's usually at about 7 pm. I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner, drank a lot and etc. So obviously it shows bigger weight.

At home I weight in at 6.30 am before breakfast so it shows about 1 kg less.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    You're completely right and sensible - I'm terrified to do it though. I'm an idiot about this, I really am.
    Wear light clothing to the doctors office is possible (jeans and sweaters weigh more than a summer dress!). And give yourself a little wiggle room.