Step Ups

Options
I'm wondering about the effectiveness of step-ups, It says that they burn around 15 cals per minute but although I do them at a rate of one a second, I don't get exerted, even when doing them for an hour. I step up onto a platform which is mid-calf - is this too low?

Thanks

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Effectiveness for what? Burning cals? Losing weight? Building muscle? Increasing strength?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sounds like step aerobics ..... good cardio workout.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My program does them, they seem pretty pointless but done right and in a good rountine they can really tighten the legs and glutes, try one leg get ups. They are done from a sitting position and you just get up from one leg.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Sounds like step aerobics ..... good cardio workout.

^^ I am guessing this is what you mean because there is no way I could do true step-ups for an hour. I'm tired by time my second set comes around.

If you're talking about true step ups -- the ones where you step up onto a bench with one foot, bring up your other foot (all pressure on the foot that is on the bench) and then stepping back down -- it's a really good leg exercise, especially if you do step ups into a lunge.