What the best motivation to keep you accountable?

Options
2»

Replies

• mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fear of disease is great motivator :)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Best motivation for me is seeing pictures of me before I lost weight. Geez, how did I ever let myself get so overweight??
    This right here! I have more pictures of my progress than I do of my wedding day!
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I realized that this is not a vanity thing but a health thing it got easier. Now I am only a month in eating healthy but I have stuck to a eating plan this long ever. I also found an exercise I love and have been at that for almost 4 months. Who would have guessed I love to work out and get hot and sweaty.

Good luck.
  • sjacobs425
    sjacobs425 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    how do you measure that ..? just curious if you have someone measure it for you
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have to fit into this dress by August 31/2014. I have 40lbs to go :noway:

su-d570-twirl-front_zps4858c069.jpg
  • arouse0930
    Options
    My motivation is that this is a journey and not a diet. I have no end date. I just want to be the healthiest I can be. And, even though I have a goal weight ticker I realize that I may or may not get to that specific number, I will continue.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    The scales and my waist line.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1. progress photos
    2. measurements
    3. mini- non scale related goals (for example: at 10 lb. lost I let myself pierce my nose! at 15 lb. I bought an expensive pair of shoes I'd been eyeing)
    4. dietbet.com (this site allows you to buy-in to challenges and then the winners who lose their goal weight in 30 days split the pot!)
    5. heartrate monitor - this allows me to accurately log my calories lost, and I exercise harder and longer when Im wearing it because I can start the workout saying, "I'm going to burn 250 calories so I can have one of my homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies after dinner (200 cals) - and It encouraged me to keep exercising until I was done, rather than giving up when I was tired
    6. MFP friends and a supportive fiance - surround yourself with people who will encourage you and do things to help you in your progress, not hinder it. There will be haters out there - don't listen to them and don't eat all the junk they make you feel guilty for not eating!
    7. I picked up about 3 new hobbies (gardening, archery, and a fish aquarium with live plants). These kept me from "bored-eating" and from lounging around the kitchen and needlessly opening the fridge!

ALL of the above :) Good luck!
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    this is a great idea for myself! i like the reward system!
    There are a few things I do to keep myself focused:

1. Make an HONEST list of all the reasons why I'm on this path. Then I make post-its with the reasons and wallpaper my life with them - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, fridge, pantry, work - anywhere I go, I see the reasons.
    2. I put up inspiration pictures to keep me motivated around the house.
    3. I set goals and mini-goals that aren't scale related (i.e. run races, etc).
    4. I find an activity I *truly* enjoy and keep at it. For me, this is running and I'm part of a marathon training group.
    5. I periodically reward myself for meeting mini goals.
    6. I make a point of telling myself, while exercising or making good decisions, that I'm taking care of myself, doing well, being healthy.
    7. I forgive myself when I don't make "perfect" decisions every now and again - it's all a part of the process.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    i have developed new healthy hobbies so i can relate to that!! such as biking, hiking and anything outside!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. progress photos
    2. measurements
    3. mini- non scale related goals (for example: at 10 lb. lost I let myself pierce my nose! at 15 lb. I bought an expensive pair of shoes I'd been eyeing)
    4. dietbet.com (this site allows you to buy-in to challenges and then the winners who lose their goal weight in 30 days split the pot!)
    5. heartrate monitor - this allows me to accurately log my calories lost, and I exercise harder and longer when Im wearing it because I can start the workout saying, "I'm going to burn 250 calories so I can have one of my homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies after dinner (200 cals) - and It encouraged me to keep exercising until I was done, rather than giving up when I was tired
    6. MFP friends and a supportive fiance - surround yourself with people who will encourage you and do things to help you in your progress, not hinder it. There will be haters out there - don't listen to them and don't eat all the junk they make you feel guilty for not eating!
    7. I picked up about 3 new hobbies (gardening, archery, and a fish aquarium with live plants). These kept me from "bored-eating" and from lounging around the kitchen and needlessly opening the fridge!

ALL of the above :) Good luck!
  • Direnscure
    Options
    Knowing how I looked and felt before I started losing weight and eating better. I never want to end up like that again. That, and I'd love for my kid/kids in the future to refer to their dad as "Superman" :tongue:
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Knowing how I looked and felt before I started losing weight and eating better. I never want to end up like that again. That, and I'd love for my kid/kids in the future to refer to their dad as "Superman" :tongue:

^^^This for me to, except I get "the batman" from my oldest. :P

Then the whole wanting-to-reenlist-in-the-military thing really just puts the icing on the cake for losing the weight and keeping it off.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures of myself before the weight loss. Yes, that does it for me! And those pictures were taken when I felt I looked "pretty decent."
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I lost weight a couple of years ago and gained it all back. I still had the clothes I bought when I lost that weight so getting back into those clothes was a big motivation for me.

In addition I have been using MFP for a year now and the daily logging keeps me on track like nothing else I have ever done before.

I do have a picture of myself from a couple of years ago when I was at my heaviest and I look at that all the time as something I do not ever want to be at again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Im attempting to lose about 65lb in really whatever time it takes..im done with the unrealistic goals of 30lb/month. but heres my question; what do you think would be the best motivation to keep you accountable?
    *constaint weigh in's?
    *taking pictures?
    *judgeing by clothing?
    heres my catch 22, i feel like some would be a deterant, such as depending on what your doing you might not lose weight but rather gain muscle of depending on how you lose weight maybe clothes will fit differenly depending on where your lossing. taking picture could make you more judgemental on yourself if there is not differenc.

any options would be fantastic i just dont want to set myself up disappointment.....
    A motivated person will strive to the finish regardless of obstacles. One can be "inspired" by accountability and successes, but staying motivated is a personal conquest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
This discussion has been closed.