Chest/throat phlegm while doing HIIT

Options
When doing heavy cardio, like Insanity, I get a lot of phlegm in my throat and chest, causing me to have to go hack it out every few minutes. I've always had this issue but has gotten better the more cardio vascular fit I've become. Have any of you ever experienced this? I used to be a heavy smoker, but have been smoke free for 4 years now.

Replies

• annag025
    Options
    I know this is an older post but did you ever happen to find out what was causing this? I have the same issue pretty much. I was also a heavy smoker and quit smoking 5 weeks before I started my 1st round of insanity. I am now on my 3rd week of round 2 and it has gotten worse....almost unbearable. I am able to push myself a lot harder this round but am not sure if this is because Im pushing myself too hard, because of my smoking past, or possibly something else?
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    amost sounds like exercise induced asthma.
  • annag025
    Options
    Could it be breathing technique? I have gotten a lot better about it but was constantly having to remind myself to breathe sometimes. Now I notice that after about 10 minutes in my throat feels dry, I get that phlem feeling, and sometimes cough. Ive been trying to focus more on enhaling thru my nose instead of mouth but its not always to do