RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compress
    Elevate
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gilleeman for the great news.(hee hee). I knew those strong anti-inflamitorys were too good to be true. lol. Well the good news is, i have been icing it and i sit at a desk all day. I have been doing more weights at the gym and backed off the cardio for now, not completely. i will do spin but no up and down movement. I cant figure out why this is happening. I have actually been running for 5 years now. This is a 1st. i have increased but really dont think it was too fast too soon?/ I will have to check my sneakers. What do you recommend and how should they fit. I heard you need a 1/2size bigger which i already have. I use new balance, they seemed to be working, but maybe not??? LOL i actually thought rice was a bag of rice....LOL.. Thought this was a new technique..... Oh well...yes, will be rice ing it.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hi rosey I am a sports therapist and I'm afraid that just pain killers and rest which the doc prescribed will not guarantee you'll be ok in two week. RICE btw means Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.

Achilles tendonitis can lead to tears if not treated properly. You need to rest from running completely until you've seen a physio or sports therapist. Choose a weight bearing exercise to maintain your fitness i.e. swimming, rowing machine, cycle (if it doesn't hurt). Ice for 10 mins every 2 hours for first day then 2-3 times over next 48 hours. Gentle calf stretches (drop stretches are good for achilles like nick suggested(?), roughly 3 times a day and then regulary every day to keep the problem from returning. Get to a sports therapist who can perform massage techniques to prevent adhesions forming within the tendon. These adhesions stop the tendon sliding smoothly back into the sheath.

Find the root to the problem, get your shoes checked (over pronation causes achilles problems), look at your training (are you upping it too fast, are you not taking long enough rest periods, are you stretching properly after workouts), achilles tendonitis could be an over-use injury caused by too much, too soon. Sorry to be the bearer or bad news.

DITTO!! DITTO DITTO!! 100% CORRECT. When I read the post about dr gave me meds and I will be okay in 2 weeks. I was thinking "typical Dr. response" And I cringed!! Thank you gilleeman for posting and calming me down!!! Dr's love to mask and not address the cause!!! :-) You are not the bearer of bad news. You are saving her from developing a chronic issue!!!!!
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Rosey, I can't advise on any particular shoe because we are all so different. Just make sure its a proper running shop you go to for your shoes and not somewhere like Walmart. My trainers are a whole size bigger, and they have built in wedges because I over pronate, plus I have additional wedges to build up the big toe area (as they aren't very flexible). I had no idea about the toes until they pointed this out to me. All in all they cost over £100. You should also replace your shoes after 500 miles, so if you do a lot of running that could be every 6 months or so.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Renee, DITTO!
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree... Thank you again!!!. :happy:
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    great advice here. I have been doing a lot of running lately and have been experiencing sore achilles. I have never done any warm ups or stretches. So I take it that a good calf stretch on the stairs before running is a good idea as well as after?