Broke my plateau!

Options
2»

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I noticed you and a couple others mention adding coffee in your breakfast. Is that supposed to be beneficial? get your metabolism going or something? I generally stay away from coffee, just because I figure stay away from all stimulants, alchahol caffeine etc... but I do enjoy a cup of coffee so if it will actually benefit weight loss than i'm in!

It does rev up the metabolism temporarily. THat is why many "diet" pills like Hydroxycut have huge amounts of caffeine in them and you take it 2-3 times a day. My husband took a version of this for a while and he said it made him feel hot all day and slightly nauseous all day so it suppressed his appetite as well. I don't like pills so I stick with just a cup of coffee in the morning to rev me up in the morning.
  • amkingrn
    amkingrn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've hit a plateau and am getting pretty discouraged :sad: As a pp said, this is usually when I just give up and gain all the lost weight back. I just have a few questions that some of the pp touched on...

As far as milk/dairy products: Did you get the full out 24 oz or 3 servings a day as some advertise or just a little here and there?

Why did you choose to eat oatmeal in the morning? Was it to help increase your calories?

So you were at about 1200 cal/day intake and increased to about 1500 cal/day intake? I am at about 1200 sometimes 1300 cal/day right now and keep reading that is too low. Just can't believe it actually works to eat MORE! How great is that? :drinker: I just can't seem to make myself eat more...I feel like it will make me gain weight and I just can't do it!!! From what I'm reading I also need to add a little more protein...I just don't know any good low calorie/low fat/high protein snacks...I'm still new to all this and not sure about the contents of certain foods and why/how the will benfit my weight loss goals... :ohwell:
  • ginastnly
    Options
    Great job for hanging in there. Maybe if you replaced your oatmeal with a protein...like a protien shake or eggs that will really give your system a boost. I do a protein shake every morning and blend in a banana and it is very filling and actually tastes ok. I do the 100% Whey double chocolate and use 2% milk. The calories without the banana is 100 so adding the fruit the calories are still under 200 which is great for breakfast.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Why does the body go into plateaus?:frown:
  • amkingrn
    Options
    Great job for hanging in there. Maybe if you replaced your oatmeal with a protein...like a protien shake or eggs that will really give your system a boost. I do a protein shake every morning and blend in a banana and it is very filling and actually tastes ok. I do the 100% Whey double chocolate and use 2% milk. The calories without the banana is 100 so adding the fruit the calories are still under 200 which is great for breakfast.

Where did you get your protein shake powder?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I had milk or yogurt kind of as a snack. I would have a banana and a cup of whole milk for breakfast sometimes if I didnt have time to wait for oatmeal. And I would have a yogurt before I had lunch and before dinner sometimes when I knew I was low on my calories. I chose oatmeal ( instant oats, not the sugary fruit stuff) because it was low calorie, low in sugar, had protein, and is high fiber. You need more fiber so your body can get rid of the fat too. After my hard work outs or lifting weights I have a protein shake. You can get Whey protein at any GNC or at Walmart in the vitamin isle. It comes in a huge container. I have 1 scoop in water right after I get home from a work out. If you need more calories you can mix it in milk also.

It does seem odd to increase calories to loose weight. But you need to keep the same activity level when you do increase, don't slack off or you will just stay the same weight still. It's more just experimenting. My recommended calories just to live is 1800, and i was like that is WAY too high so I started out with 1500 just to try it and it worked! It's pretty easy to start eating more calories. Add in a glass of milk, peanut butter toast, yogurt, nuts, granola bars. Say you add a cup of 2% milk to every meal 3x a day, that is 300 calories right there and you are done! :)
  • ttbayarea
    ttbayarea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Please share your secret. What did you do different?
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have been plateaued (sp?) more or less for about 4 weeks too..driving me nuts. I decided to take today off from exercise, eat a little over my calories and then hop right back on the offence tomorrow. Your posting reminds me never to give up .. thanks for sharing your story and for everyone else who experiences the same thing.. it's encouraging to know we are all in this together. :happy:
  • lifeisgoodBev
    Options
    Way to go!.... Perseverence....It is great your husband is so supportive!! :) Nice that we all can share & be a support in MFP community. Keep up the great work!
  • lifeisgoodBev
    Options
    Way to go!.... Perseverence....It is great your husband is so supportive!! :) Nice that we all can share & be a support in MFP community. Keep up the great work!
    oops New netbook & trying to learn to use it without a mouse & I duplicated the post, tapped too many times. Sorry about that. I`ll go back to my mouse for postings. . lol
  • amkingrn
    Options
    I had milk or yogurt kind of as a snack. I would have a banana and a cup of whole milk for breakfast sometimes if I didnt have time to wait for oatmeal. And I would have a yogurt before I had lunch and before dinner sometimes when I knew I was low on my calories. I chose oatmeal ( instant oats, not the sugary fruit stuff) because it was low calorie, low in sugar, had protein, and is high fiber. You need more fiber so your body can get rid of the fat too. After my hard work outs or lifting weights I have a protein shake. You can get Whey protein at any GNC or at Walmart in the vitamin isle. It comes in a huge container. I have 1 scoop in water right after I get home from a work out. If you need more calories you can mix it in milk also.

It does seem odd to increase calories to loose weight. But you need to keep the same activity level when you do increase, don't slack off or you will just stay the same weight still. It's more just experimenting. My recommended calories just to live is 1800, and i was like that is WAY too high so I started out with 1500 just to try it and it worked! It's pretty easy to start eating more calories. Add in a glass of milk, peanut butter toast, yogurt, nuts, granola bars. Say you add a cup of 2% milk to every meal 3x a day, that is 300 calories right there and you are done! :)

Thanks for all the info...I am definatley gonna try it. I have cut out pretty much all my dairy to cut calories and fat. I LOVE my dairy products so it will be easy to use that to add my calories and some protein. I will just have to switch to some low fat versions of some..like cottage cheese and shredded cheese, which i used to eat on EVERYTHING! lol I already drink only skim milk so that is not a problem. I have also changed my breakfast up some and am trying egg beaters with some lean meat and low fat cheese and then some really high fiber bread...I am super full and hoping that helps with my protein intake as well....

Thanks, again, for the info. You are an inspiration to really stick with it and break throught that nasty plateau... :flowerforyou:
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great job in staying with it when months passed by without losing a pound...

I have been on my diet for about a 1 year and a half, and reached a plateau that lasted about 2 months.

I just stuck with my diet plan and the weight started coming off again.

I just reached another plateau just last month, I weight myself at the beginning of each month and each time I would lose between 4 to 6 pounds. Last month I lost "ZERO" pounds, but I just continue with my diet plan and see if next month I lost any weight.

So far I have lost over 70 lbs, with about 40 more pounds to go.....

Once again GREAT JOB and continue to hang in there.......
  • sgssmile
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself, you have done GREAT and sticking to it for over a year is a veru big accomplishment and a lifestyle change!:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!