Newbie here! Anyone out there who doesn't use scales?

Options
Hi all

I'm a noob... here to lose about a stone and to get a handle on my nutrition as I've been eating far too much junk the last couple of years.

I was just wondering if anyone else doesn't really weigh themselves, or at least not very often? I had a very unhealthy obsession with weighing myself & the numbers on the scale a few years ago, which was a driving force behind strict calorie restriction & generally a very unhealthy relationship with food. I never want to go back to that so don't own a set any more. That said I've never really tried to lose weight without weighing myself before so not really sure how to go about it!!

So far I'm just going by the view in the mirror and measuring my waist once a week. I'll weigh myself when I visit my family in October & again in December but was wondering if anyone else has dieted without scales and how they've found it?! :)

Anyway, scales or no scales feel free to say hi!! :) x

Replies

• beckermanc
    Options
    I don't use scales and I am a male!!!
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not much and thats the way to be.
  • Jenn_Lyn1102
    Jenn_Lyn1102 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No scales here! Never even owned one! # means nothing to me, all about how I feel in my clothes and what I see in the mirror! :wink:
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I am only weighing in when I go to the doc's month for my prenatal visit, other than that I don't use a scale.
  • Bull2707
    Options
    Only when the Marine Corps makes me get on one. I hate the numbers. I go by measyrements, how I feel and look
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    all about how the clothes fit! .....thats all that matters! if the jeans fit ;)
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a month, a few days after TOM has visited. This has worked out awesome for me!!!
  • Nachitifriti
    Nachitifriti Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself when i feel like ive reached a new goal but other than that its looking in the mirror!! I log daily and open diary if u want some encouragement! :) x
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Numbers mean a lot to me, because I'm an accountant. Because of that, I bought a scale when I started my weight loss journey. That being said, we've moved since then and it's still packed away. Right now, I eat until I feel full and I exercise. I'm going by how I look and feel in my own skin, and I think it's working out for me.

I tend to use it to keep myself on track towards my goals. It's definitely not necessary; just make sure you have something (like your mirror and your measuring tape, in your case) to keep you accountable.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Look - you are just getting back into this. You need to do two things You need to find out how many junk foods you can limit - or find alternatives to them. Firstly diet drinks contain sweeteners which interfere with your metabolism. If you crash on water it tastes boring to start with - but is just the ticket after a couple of weeks. Macdonalds can be 1000 calories of rubbish at a time - but fish and chips are much better for you and less calories.

You need to start focusing upon making real foods whilst you are on the go

Then I must tell you this - it is calories in calories out nothing else will work - big portions will do you in.

And hey you have to have a set of scales - but they must be accurate - very accurate - Only weigh in the mornings and only weigh once a week. You also need to walk for at least 30 minutes a day.

So go find yourself your maintenance level of calories and make sure you are under it each day. It is all about calories I am afraid. That is how all of the stars and glamour girle became stars and glamour girls - and kept on.

Jelly and blancmange is good and also tinned chopped toms on toast - there are lost of low calorie alternatives.

So good luck with it - hope it does not hurt you again and if you feel panicky - step back from it for a while - but not for long.

Regards

Elsdon
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself because I tend to fixate on the numbers when I do, instead of focusing on what's REALLY important to me: Feeling confident and strong and nourishing myself and the people around me. The number on the scale doesn't tell me anything about those things. I have recently, however, started taking measurements every other week or so. I'm doing this so I have another way to objectively measure my progress as I try to build muscle and get into tip-top shape. If I find myself getting too hung up on those numbers, as well, I'll stop. Life is good :-)
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Only when the Marine Corps makes me get on one. I hate the numbers. I go by measyrements, how I feel and look

Do you pass weight, or do you have to be taped? When my husband had to be taped, I always considered that a compliment to him because he was even more muscular than the military required him to be. :happy:
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    scales I have found to be deceiving .......the number makes you happy and that's not good.
  • themumbler86
    Options
    Ahh so glad there's plenty of other people out there doing the same!! :) cheers for all the relies everyone!!

I feel like this makes it less of a diet and more of a lifestyle decision. I want to eat healthily and exercise more and the number on the scale tells only part of the story. So long as I'm strict with my diary then the energy input vs output should mean weight loss anyway so why obsess?

primal_cupcake - I feel like we're probably coming from the same background there, and I feel the same about the tape measure - if it becomes an issue it's going straight in the bin!

elsdonward - I ate badly when I used to work in an office but junk is not really an issue to me now thankfully :) I eat very healthily in the week (mostly fresh fruit and vegetables), though on weekends I have a slightly more relaxed attitude as I work in a very busy nightclub so burn a lot more energy. I'm not sure I agree with you about scales as I don't have a huge amount to lose. Will see how it goes though!!
  • themumbler86
    Options
    all about how the clothes fit! .....thats all that matters! if the jeans fit ;)

I like your theory!! ...I have a pair of jeans that are too small at the minute, but have never fitted comfortably. Good goal :)