Can we talk about sports bras???

Options
I want to know everything you know about sports bras. Are they necessary? What bra was best for you and why? How many is a good number to have? What is the most you would spend for a sports bra?

I am a 36D, with mom-boobs (you know what I'm talking about, Moms!!) I usually wear full coverage bras with underwire and three hooks in the closure. I have one sports bra, but it doesn't seem mmuch more supportive than my regular bras.

Replies

• epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Necessary: It depends. I would say for a 36D, then yes, a good sports bra is necessary. I just found one that does a great job of controlling the bounce:

http://www.freshpair.com/Moving-Comfort-Maia-Adjustable-Strap-High-Impact-Sports-Bra-505508.html

It's snug, but I can definitely tell that it's giving me a lot of support. If your sports bra isn't working right, then it's probably too big. You might purchase a new one in a smaller band size or double up with a regular bra.

I suppose if it doesn't cause you pain to bounce around, then I guess you don't really need a sports bra, but when you're older, you're probably going to regret the resulting sag.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I wasn't blessed with as much, 34B, but I usually buy the ones that have an actual cup with support. I hate the thin cotton ones, I don't feel like I'm supported. I have one i got on sale at Victoria's Secret and about 6 from Walmart. I am cheep and don't like to spend more than 30 for a nice one. My cheepies I wear when I workout.. my nice one I wear while working all day (I'm military and its more comfortable in uniform) I do plan to get more nicer ones, just gotta wait for the $$, other things are more important at the moment.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    tater...I was "blessed" with these tatas with my pregnancy. Before that, I was a humble (and usually bra-free) 34A!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those were the days =(****
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    They are very necessary! For comfort and I think it helps with sag prevention. If you have a few dollars to spend, I found Natori to put out an exceptional sports bra (underwire, yet very comfy). I have a 36DDD and can elliptical or run with NO movement of my breasts. I got mine at Nordstrom's and it has been very worth the investment.
  • epa422
    Options
    tater...I was "blessed" with these tatas with my pregnancy. Before that, I was a humble (and usually bra-free) 34A!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those were the days =(****

If that's the case, you might be wearing the wrong size. You might want to looking into a 34 DD. As the band size goes down, the volume the cup holds also goes down. (I've been bra shopping, can you tell? lol) So, for instance, I've been wearing a 36 D, but the strap in back keeps riding up higher and higher. Apparently that means the band is too big. So I bought a 32 DD sports bra. The strap is staying in place, but the cups aren't big enough. So you may have to go up in cup size as you go down in band size.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am well endowed, but not quite a D...34C. They do bounce painfully in the wrong bra. I really love Old Navy's line of fitness gear, including the bras. They are pretty simple, but are made of a super sweat wicking material that is thick and supportive. Further, it has a nice thick band around the bottom that also helps. I get it in a medium, which is nice and tight, and it stops the bounce, wicks sweat, is affordable ($16 regular and often on sale), and they come in cute colors and patterns so I don't mind it showing under straps of tank tops.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    That's exactly how I was, 34A before kids...and now 34D. No one believes me though because they don't look like D cups. But that's what the tape measure says and the bras fit...so yeah. LOL. I wear one while working out...I don't have good ones, and need to go get new. The ones I have are getting worn out (they are pretty old).
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Mine are fruit of the loom...3 for $15 at wal-mart...if you're still feeling jiggly wear 2, i only wear one and i'm a 36D...but i'm not a runner either lol...
  • scweegie
    Options
    I think it all depends on the type of workout you are planning to do. If you are just lifting weights, probably not a necessity. However going on a run I think you should wear one. I have 36DD and I prefer a champion high support, or any of the Nike ones that also double as a tank top. I did buy a CW-X one, it is super expensive, made expecially for bigger chested people and made for running, it has a clasp in the back and on the straps, but I lost the weight and it doens't fit tight anymore. (the good and the bad of getting healthy) Sometimes I might even double them up if I have a high impact workout. Nothing better than keeping the girls snug to complete a workout.

GOOD LUCK!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm a D cup to and I HAVE to have one, If I don't, ouch.

I bought an adidas bra from ****'s sporting goods and it works great. Granted it's a large and not quite big enough but it gets the job done and it's one I can use for a while because hopefully the ta ta's will shrink a bit as I lose more weight.

I do wish I had more than one as it's a pain to wash it every night for a new workout the next day.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

If that's the case, you might be wearing the wrong size. You might want to looking into a 34 DD. As the band size goes down, the volume the cup holds also goes down. (I've been bra shopping, can you tell? lol) So, for instance, I've been wearing a 36 D, but the strap in back keeps riding up higher and higher. Apparently that means the band is too big. So I bought a 32 DD sports bra. The strap is staying in place, but the cups aren't big enough. So you may have to go up in cup size as you go down in band size.

EXACTLY! I worked in a lingerie store at the end of high school before university and that is correct and so many people don't believe me when you decrees the band size the cup size decreases as well (despite it still being the same letter) glad to know at least one other person out there knows this!

I have $5 sports bras and love them! They are the cotton fruit of the loom ones found at Walmart. I am 34C and they do a great job. My sister is a 38B and has invested in a Lulu bra and adores it so to each their own for the “average” bra sizes. Definitely recommend a better investment for D sizes, I was a 36DD in high school and would never have looked twice at the little cotton bras then.
  • epa422
    Options
    EXACTLY! I worked in a lingerie store at the end of high school before university and that is correct and so many people don't believe me when you decrees the band size the cup size decreases as well (despite it still being the same letter) glad to know at least one other person out there knows this!

My husband looked at me like I was smoking crack last night when I told him I'd probably have to go to a 32 DDD. It took me showing him that information on a website before he believed me. Apparently just seeing that the bra didn't fit wasn't enough for him. :laugh:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm a 34D. Only after having my baby. I would get one that feels a bit on the tight side. I'm currently in a medium sports bra. I do have a problem with nipples. I don't know what is going on, but working out makes them so I could cut glass with them. I've even tried wearing 2 or 3 sports bras, but it does no good.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    I have yet to buy one myself, but enell makes great sports bras apparently for well endowed women. i've read quite a bit about how great they are, but they are a bit pricy, so i have yet to bite the bullet. i should, because i'm a 38D and i could use it for sure! Right now, I wear a C9 sports bra from target with a C9 sports tank top over it for double support!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I could probably be ok with a regular bra but I don't want to sweat so much in my nice ones. Also since running I really appreciate not bouncing.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    That is so funny- I was a 40DDD at my heaviest, and now I'm a 34DD but they are WAY SMALLER! I definitely don't feel like I should be wearing a DD. I never knew either about the cup size decreasing with the number until I was fit by someone at Sonoma Intimates. Anyway- If I am going to be jumping or running, I usually wear a tight fitting sports bra (I have a champion one from Kohls that works really good) and then also wear a workout tank top with a built in shelf bra. That seems to do the trick for me. Thanks for the post about Old Navy- I'll have to go and check out their workout gear.
  • kaffro
    kaffro Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Funny you bring this up, I needed new ones. I have some Nike running bras that I love and bought at Goodwill, brand new with the tags still attached for $2.00 a piece. Problem is, I am wearing them out, they feel loose on me. So, today, while I was at Walmart, I checked out their selection of sports bras. I picked up two Danskin sports bras for $10.00 a piece. I tried them on and jumped up and down haha. I am a 38D and these fit perfect for me. They have padded cups, which I wasn't real sure I would like when I first picked them off the rack, but after putting them on, I really like them. And, I won't have uniboob :laugh:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies. I think I will hit up Walmart and see if I can try on a Champion, Fruit of the Loom, and a Danskin.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    I wear a 40DD and I like my Danskin sports bra from Wal-Mart. It has a racer back and zips up the front. No uni-boob and very nice control. I do Zumba which involves a lot of jumping, gyrating and popping and everybody stays where they belong. LOL I call it my industrial strength undergarment.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I highly recommend the Enell bra although getting them on is something of a workout in and of itself. I'd also recommend the Champion Action Shape bra.