How do you stay motivated?

Options
13»

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I've always lacked motivation - it's just always been something I've had a very hard time with.

How do you all stay motivated to lose weight? I really really really want to be healthier, and feel happier with my body and how I look, but that isn't even motivation enough.

Motivation tips? What do you guys do?

I suspect pep talks and 'go for it' speeches don't work on you.

You don't have to have any motivation though. Just log your calories in the same frame of mind as you brush your teeth. You don't question brushing your teeth do you? You don't need motivation to do it. It's a habit.

You need to turn the things that don't thrill you into habit. Boring, humdrum, automatic habit. Actions that you don't question. Choices that you don't try to negotiate.

When you have no motivation you start to talk yourself out of bothering with any of it. But if you make a hard and fast rule that you will log your calories, and identify what you are eating, all of the rest will follow.

Because you are logging you will see what you are eating.
    Because you see what you are eating, you will have natural little choices of 'gee, I'll skip that 2nd icecream sundae' that will almost unconsciously start to happen.
    Because of this you will lose weight.
    Because of losing weight you will finally get some motivation.

There's nothing like succeeding for feeding you motivation. :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've always lacked motivation - it's just always been something I've had a very hard time with.

How do you all stay motivated to lose weight? I really really really want to be healthier, and feel happier with my body and how I look, but that isn't even motivation enough.

Motivation tips? What do you guys do?
    Motivation is the thing that drives you to stick with it. It is deep. It is not to be mistaken for enthusiastic zeal which is not sustainable. Sometimes people get worked up in a white hot state of enthusiasm and then stop when it inevitably fades. The question is: What will cause you to press on on a cold day in January when you are feeling down and no one is around? There will always be days when you just don't feel like doing this.

Motivation is important, but no one can provide it for you. It's inside you or it's not. For me, it was the simmering anger at myself for getting out of shape in the first place. Every time I'm tempted, I reflect on how angry I was when I was fat.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I stick to a regular routine for a few months and then I slowly changle little things up. Variety is really what keeps me going. I could never just do the same exercises over and over all year and expect motivation or results.
  • Karrieif
    Karrieif Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump...great topic..I am finding this very motivational ;)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It may seem mean spirited but sometimes I'll see someone who is overweight with their belly hanging over their belt and think "that's what I was starting to look like" and it's then easier to pass up the next doughnut, handful of chips, or fast food burger/fries and to get out of bed early and hit the gym the next morning.

And when I see someone lean and healthy, I think, "That's what I can look like if I keep this up"

And sadly our country has more people in the first category than in the second one.
  • YummyH2O
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for a long time now and it's hard for me to find my motivation and drive because of my depression. I always thought being skinny would help me become happier, but that wasn't the case.

I'm finally getting my life back on track and connecting with friends again. I have a job, I look forward to it every week, I'm going back to school, and it all helps me improve my quality of life. I've realized for me, that having a better quality of life makes me happy and being happy makes me WANT to lose weight and stay healthy. The weight loss decisions and going to the gym just comes naturally for me now. I'm still fat and have a long way to go, but I'll eventually get there because I'm happy, It's been such a long time since I've felt this way and I feel like no one could take that away from me.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by first doing what I say I will do:wink: Each time I do... I gain more confidence and before long it's a routine for me:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Also, whatever you do... remember....The sooner you start...:laugh: ...The sooner you'll finish:bigsmile:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    At first I stayed motivated by looking at myself naked in the mirror

I'm proud of what I,ve accomplished. I still look at myself naked in the mirror, It's still my motivation.. to keep looking the way I do now :wink:
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What drives me is my health. When my doctor said it's time to lose weight, I obeyed. :smile:
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Meh motivation. Honestly I've never felt super motivated. When I look at the quotes and posters people post, I never feel like "YAY I gotta go workout today!" I feel excited about starting something new and noticing small changes yes. Losing weight and getting fit is a long journey, and you just do what you have to do. Even when it's going slow. It's about asking yourself "what's the alternative?" I eat at a small deficit, I dont deny myself anything, I splurge now and then and don't beat myself up for it. It's not like you have to suffer to lose weight, just take it slow and keep going.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for a long time now and it's hard for me to find my motivation and drive because of my depression. I always thought being skinny would help me become happier, but that wasn't the case.

I have seen this a lot here from those who have come and gone. All I can say is that being 'skinny' will not change you on the inside. It's just like being rich, it's not a magical pill for all your problems. You need to look for deeper reasons, health is a good one, keeping up with your kids (if you have any) etc.. People rarely stay motivated if they don't have a really deeply personal reason for wanting to change.

I consider myself lucky to be able to do everything I do simply because I 'WANT' to - I don't require external motivation, but sadly from what I have seen I am definitely in the minority.

For those who need to stay motivated, find YOUR reason. Something deeply personal to you, something that you can look at / read/ remember that you know will move you. Be it a picture of you at your fattest or the desire to be there for your mate/kids. Everyone's reasons are different. I can't tell you what will motivate someone else because I haven't had their life or experiences. Dig deep and find the REAL reason and you will have your motivation.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I've said this before on another thread... It's not "motivation," it's inertia. I just start. That's the hardest part, starting. After a surprisingly short time, it's easier to keep going than it is to stop. But stopping means you have to start again, and that's the hard part, so just don't stop.

I think people overthink it sometimes, self included. You don't have to be in the perfect mental space with the perfect reasons and the perfect gear and the perfect plan and the perfect set of apps and gadgets. You don't have to wait for the perfect moment or have the revelation that pushes you over the edge (I actually had that revelation, several years before I did something about it, and that's not uncommon). Just start.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Every morning I get up and say to myself
    "I'm going to do the very best I can today".
    Somedays I do great and somedays not do much.
    If I concentrate on having one good day, I don't dwell on the past or worry about tomorrow.
  • Christo516
    Options
    Watch some motivational videos on youtube. Elliot Hulse is a very eccentric guy, but he has some good videos, check him out.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You do it until it becomes a habit. I weigh all my food now and log every day. It was a drag at first and now it is a habit, just like brushing teeth. It feels wrong if I don't do it.

As far as exercise goes, I make that first step, by walking into the gym. Do I feel like it? After about 8 months of it, most of the time I don't feel like it-- but once I am there, I lift weights, walk on the treadmill, ride the stationary bike, or stair climber until I break a sweat. I never regret working out, but I usually don't initially feel like going there.

Sometimes you need motivation and you can get it here by reading about other people's struggles and how they were able to overcome them. I don't have much weight to lose (anymore) but there are some people who have a lot to lose and it's fun to cheer them on. Some people have no idea what a nutritious meal looks like because they didn't learn it from their parents. It's exciting when they learn that they actually like spinach, or brussel sprouts or whatever.

You will figure it out. Keep plugging!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I keep photos on the mirror of what I want to achieve - it helps every morning!
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Self-hatred and anger. A homicidal focus on killing the fat man inside me, burning his corpse, and pissing on his grave.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    I joined MFP in 2012 but I really only lasted a month or so. Needless to say, I went nowhere. I made a concerted effort again (along with the purchase of a treadmill) in August of this year. Since then I've dropped 15 pounds. I hate running, but I hate feeling unhealthy even more. I have multiple "motivators" but the one that has been pushing me this week was from my 13 year old son who heard me talk about not running one day. "Dad, you can't stop now, you've come so far!" He also just started working out on his own and put three miles on the treadmill himself. Not that he needs it (he's a big kid - size 11 shoe and ripped...and he just turned 13 a week ago). I started getting back into shape partly because of what I do. I needed to model the behavior and discipline for my athletes. In the process I realized I've been modeling the behavior for my son and that's probably all the motivation I'll need moving forward.
This discussion has been closed.