5'4 height
    185 lbs
    i have started c25k

maybe these facts can help u guide me
    it would be great if someone tells me what to do exactly in a gym
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Most gyms let you have a personal trainer for the first few times to show you what to do. Ask them about that. It's a good start :)

What are your goals as far as lifting goes? Do you want large muscles (for you) or are you adding it to get some more lean mass in general? Any specific parts you want to emphasize in weight-lifting (like your butt, for instance)?
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5. It's a great beginner's strength training program using free weights. It's basically powerlifting 101. You'll be doing squats, bench presses, overhead presses, deadlifts, and rows. It's set up for a workout 3 days a week.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i want to mix it with cardio to help me lose weight
    i dont want to be very muscular
    but yes prevent my muscles and build some
    actully i have a free gym in my college but no trainer there.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There is a great book called New Rules of Lifiting for Women that is helpful getting started. You should make sure you have proper form and you can watch videos on You Tube to give you an idea of what good form is.

Many gyms have classes and there may be one in yoru gym that has a strength training class. Its usually a mix of cardio and low weight/lots of reps but the class leader is supposed to help you with form. Its as good a place as any to start if you are having a hard time understanding proper form.

Personally, I have a trainer that I see 3-4 days a week and it has made a huge difference. No injuries in 8 months and I have been pushed beyond my limits on many occassions. But I also have a great guy who is not as expensive as eating out as much as I used to so it works within my budget.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight with strength training and no cardio, but diet is most important. If you want to add cardio, you can do cardio after your strength session. I will sometimes do light cardio on my rest days.
    A lot of trainers don't know much about free-weights so I wouldn't worry about not having a trainer. If you do choose to use free weights, you will need to learn proper form though to prevent injury. There are some good books (Starting Strength by Rippetoe) and websites and YouTube videos (Elliot Hulse and others) that will help you develop proper form while the weights are still light so you won't hurt yourself when they get heavy.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/build-strength/strength-training-for-beginners/

^^^Very basic^^^

Do this three times a week. Continue to research and get better and add more exercises.