binge ate

Options
For the first time in 8 months, I binge ate at the weekend!!

I was feeling so down and miserable about things, I ate myself stupid!!

Ended up making myself ill for the rest of the weekend!

Feel so bad for it and this is the first time i have admitted to anyone that I do it.

I stopped doing it before and I will not slip up again!!

Replies

• pintobean82
    Options
    You seem to have a good outlook on it. I think you'll be just fine. You admitted it and now you are going to correct it. Don't beat yourself up.
  • trudance4
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I bet before you started this journey you binged a lot more than once every 8 months. You're doing good. We all screw up and it's ok. Just start again now and keep on going.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not spam and I don't make money off my blog, but I hope this helps: http://journey2competition.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/mistakes/
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    We all slip up from time to time. It may or may not be the last time. But don't stress about it. One time in 8 months is not going to kill all the progress you have made. Just keep on keepin on! :wink:
  • blbechel07
    blbechel07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I binged this weekend too. But I didn't let it totally derail me and neither did you. Binges happen. And with each one we learn something more about ourselves and our triggers. Getting through them is what counts.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree, work out what triggered it - were you tired, slightly down, lonely, looking for a reward - or had you just not done your grocery shop........if you can establish what triggers your 'weak moments' you'll be more tuned in to look out for them and develop a coping strategy. Mine is looking for reward - especially on a Friday evening after a really tough working week - the 'I'm worth it/I deserve it' attitude creeps in. So now I reward myself with other little things like nail polish, a piece of cheap jewellery, a trip to the cinema..... and my hips thank me for it.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Feel so bad for it and this is the first time i have admitted to anyone that I do it.

Oh sweetheart! You're so brave! I realise you feel bad, but look what you did! You broke through one of the barriers by telling us here! If you're saying this is the first time you've admitted to anyone that you do it, wow! That's a huge step you've taken there - you're taking some of the control back! Good luck - I'm convinced you will do it and you will get to the point where food is no longer in charge! :flowerforyou:
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You've done so well, just saying it out loud is a huge thing! I vowed to be honest in the food diary, no matter what I ate. My support here is amazing, and I hope you'll find the same thing. Being honest with a community is empowering and it helps when it's a struggle to say no.

Good luck, you've made an amazing start!
  • Ugh I struggle with binge eating too. It's horrible. Definitely try to figure out what triggers you to binge and move on from there. Make sure you're eating a healthy amount of calories, otherwise biologically you're very likely to binge. You CAN overcome binge eating! If anyone here struggles with binge eating or any type of eating disorder, feel free to add me. I've struggled with eating disorders in the past (and even in the present) so I can help motivate you. Stay strong!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    According to a BBC doco I just watched, the binge compulsion is linked to starvation. How low have you been keeping your calories?

As to emotional eating, don't give into the temptation to self-hate. it's an easy emotional state to put yourself in. It makes you 'feel better'. for me whenever I had any social problem it was 'well i just won't eat then, and they'll see I'm all thin and treat me nicely'

It took the anxiety/pain away really effectively - but it doesn't solve the problem ever, and the problem just keeps growing.

you have to battle yourself to accept your feelings and cry them out when necessary. Crying chemically changes your brain and helps you adjust. Going to bed and crying is probably a really safe coping mechanism. And probably the best and most functional as well.

:) And don't worry. I haven't eaten any junk for 2 1/2 weeks so I'm sure at some point I'm going to go crazy and eat half the supermarket soon. I used to eat so much chocolate it was stunning.
  • abtsdiet
    abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good for you...being honest.

I found a way to stave off a binge.

I eat something healthy, tasty, and satisfying. It fills me up and I get the pleasure from eating but I don't feel guilty because it is healthy.

The desire to binge does not go away but it looses it's grip.

Keep up the good work.
  • trudance4
    Options
    I bet before you started this journey you binged a lot more than once every 8 months. You're doing good. We all screw up and it's ok. Just start again now and keep on going.

Yea a couple of times a week before! this has really helped!

Thanks
    Trudy
  • trudance4
    Options
    We all slip up from time to time. It may or may not be the last time. But don't stress about it. One time in 8 months is not going to kill all the progress you have made. Just keep on keepin on! :wink:

No that is true, thank you :)
  • trudance4
    Options
    I agree, work out what triggered it - were you tired, slightly down, lonely, looking for a reward - or had you just not done your grocery shop........if you can establish what triggers your 'weak moments' you'll be more tuned in to look out for them and develop a coping strategy. Mine is looking for reward - especially on a Friday evening after a really tough working week - the 'I'm worth it/I deserve it' attitude creeps in. So now I reward myself with other little things like nail polish, a piece of cheap jewellery, a trip to the cinema..... and my hips thank me for it.

Yea i know exactly what triggered it and it is usually stress, being down and tiredness!
  • trudance4
    Options

Oh sweetheart! You're so brave! I realise you feel bad, but look what you did! You broke through one of the barriers by telling us here! If you're saying this is the first time you've admitted to anyone that you do it, wow! That's a huge step you've taken there - you're taking some of the control back! Good luck - I'm convinced you will do it and you will get to the point where food is no longer in charge! :flowerforyou:

Thank you, yea it is the first time I have admitted to, but I thought if I was going to deal with it, it was about time I admit that I do it! My family and friends dont know I do it!

Thank you so much :)
  • trudance4
    Options
    You've done so well, just saying it out loud is a huge thing! I vowed to be honest in the food diary, no matter what I ate. My support here is amazing, and I hope you'll find the same thing. Being honest with a community is empowering and it helps when it's a struggle to say no.

Good luck, you've made an amazing start!

Yea feels a bit strange admitting it, but its about time ive done it! It was terrible having to write all that food I ate down but was good to see it in black and white! kind of scared me a bit!
  • trudance4
    Options
    According to a BBC doco I just watched, the binge compulsion is linked to starvation. How low have you been keeping your calories?

As to emotional eating, don't give into the temptation to self-hate. it's an easy emotional state to put yourself in. It makes you 'feel better'. for me whenever I had any social problem it was 'well i just won't eat then, and they'll see I'm all thin and treat me nicely'

It took the anxiety/pain away really effectively - but it doesn't solve the problem ever, and the problem just keeps growing.

you have to battle yourself to accept your feelings and cry them out when necessary. Crying chemically changes your brain and helps you adjust. Going to bed and crying is probably a really safe coping mechanism. And probably the best and most functional as well.

:) And don't worry. I haven't eaten any junk for 2 1/2 weeks so I'm sure at some point I'm going to go crazy and eat half the supermarket soon. I used to eat so much chocolate it was stunning.

It does make you feel a bit better and then you feel bad for it again! My calorie intake is never below 1200 ever, i could never not eat properly, im not that way inclined, i actually like and enjoy food but its sometime keeping it under control for me! Its when im stressed, down or tired thats when it gets me!
  • trudance4
    Options
    Not spam and I don't make money off my blog, but I hope this helps: http://journey2competition.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/mistakes/

Thank you :) I will have a look at your blog!