Weekend (non)warrior

binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Weekends I slip. They are not as regimented as my weekdays. Every other weekend I have my kids and I love to spoil them. Often that means BK or Wendys. I don't eat as often so when I get there I tend to over eat and not make the best food decisions.
I am asking a favor. I need to be held accountable. Rather than have people say, "That's ok." I need people to say, "Seriously, you need to do better"
I ate a chocolate chip cookie for lunch. because my profile with all its warts is open for all to see, I actually cringed a little entering it.

THAT'S what I need.

I ask that people send me a friend request. I ask that people criticize. I need to be held accountable. And if you post in this thread, you will get the same.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Just an idea - instead of taking your kids out to Wendys or BK, try find some healthy meals that you can make together as a family. I don't know how old they are, but I ALWAYS enjoyed helping my parents out in the kitchen, and it will provide them with useful skills for when they get older. It will also show them that you're serious about wanting to be truly healthy, not just skinny!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Oh, and I've peeked at your food diary a few times, and probably the biggest thing I see is that you REALLY need to eat some vegetables. I don't know if I've seen any in there! There are so many great vegetables out there...and most can be prepared so many different ways that if you don't like something one way, you may like it another way.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I agree 100% - Your kids want to be around you, and generally if you are excited they will be too! Try homemade pizzas! its fun and you can even buy fake pizza boxes (if they are little) and everyone can customize their own pie. I use tomatoes instead of tomato sauce and Borden's Six Italian Cheeses mix shredded cheese (its like 80 cal per 1/4 cup).

And you definitely need more variety in your diet. You dont have any fruits in there either- You need more sources of energy than just protein!
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    You may think you are spoiling your kids by taking them to fast food places, but do you really want to have them grow up eating all that crap? We ate a lot of Wendy's and McDonalds when I was a kid and I honestly think I became addicted to it! Now that I haven't had it in awhile I've stopped craving it. We need to teach kids to eat healthy too, otherwise they will probably turn into adults that have to count calories and worry about their weight. If you want to eat out at quick places definitely take them to subway or Chipotle has kid sized meals now and they use dairy and meat that doesn't have a ton of antibiotics and hormones and stuff in it. If you have to eat fast food a lot of places have the option of getting fruit or salads instead of fries as a side.
  • I will hold your feet to the fire but you have to do the same for me. I think you have to find a way to work these types of food in because we are talking about life changes and not just a temporary diet - right!

Try and anticipate the poor eating by leaving like 100 or 150 calories un-eaten each day of the week before you know BK is coming. You should feel less guilty this way and your can still stay on track. Look at the calories burned over a week rather than a day. If you are still burning 3500 more than you take in in a week, then you will still lose a pound a week.

I saw someone else mention vegetables. I have not yet looked but you do need vegetales. I used to only eat them raw. I thought I didn't like cooked vegetables - I never ate them. Recently I have been trying different ones and I found out I actually like them. Our taste buds change over years. Give em a try again - ya never know.
  • binary_jester
    Love it. You are right. I need veggies. I have though about substituting an apple and carrots for my bagel.

As for my kids, I only get them every other weekend for now. We do cook together. Dad's world famous spaghetti is a must. But they do consider going out at least one a treat.
  • meggonkgonk
    I definitely get wanting to treat them, but by going to Wendy's or BK you are just instilling in them that it's a treat- which just glorifies that kind of food and makes it so easy for them to grow up with similar difficulties that you've faced. Try making treats more activity based- going to the zoo, or bowling, or a park, or a baseball game.

It comes down to this- you need to change something because what you are doing is not making you happy- it is in conflict with something you want. The simplest change, to me, seems to be taking the Wendy's/BK out of the equation -b/c it seems you arent helping your self or your kids by continuing that habit- but look for a solution that works for you if the suggestions in this forum don't work for you.
  • binary_jester
    I definitely get wanting to treat them, but by going to Wendy's or BK you are just instilling in them that it's a treat- which just glorifies that kind of food and makes it so easy for them to grow up with similar difficulties that you've faced. Try making treats more activity based- going to the zoo, or bowling, or a park, or a baseball game.

It comes down to this- you need to change something because what you are doing is not making you happy- it is in conflict with something you want. The simplest change, to me, seems to be taking the Wendy's/BK out of the equation -b/c it seems you arent helping your self or your kids by continuing that habit- but look for a solution that works for you if the suggestions in this forum don't work for you.
    I like the idea of focusing on something else other than food.
  • meggonkgonk
    Great! There's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the fall too! For my bf's birthday I'm surprising him with a trip to a hay maze ( i know it sounds dorky but it's really cool), and someone else just went apple/pumpkin picking, and some one else took a horseback/trail riding lesson. There's a ton of great things that they could have a lot of fun doing and wouldn't kill your weekends so badly! And maybe hit up Wendy's/BK 1x a month or every other month
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Occasional fast food can be done if you plan first. Go to the websites and see what you're really eating. Decide before you go what you will have. Cut the burger in half if you need to. Saying no to fries is not a crime either. "No, I do not want fries with that!" See? Easy. Wendy's has a few choices that are not that bad. Don't walk in without a plan!

Actually my daughter's favorite place to eat out is Souper Salad. She likes it because she can see the food right in front of her and pick out what she wants. I tell her that she must eat her green before she can have ice cream. Usually she gets some baby spinach, sometimes raw broccoli. If she doesn't eat all the crackers, who cares? At least the green stuff is taken care of. But remember, it may be soup and salad, but it's still a buffet! It does add up! Don't make Mt. Everest on your plate even if it is salad.

The zoo is also a good choice, though you may be stuck eating what they have there if you don't pack snacks. At least it has walking involved. A picnic is another good idea if the weather is nice. I remember my Dad took me to a lot of movies when I was little, and roller skating, or bowling.
  • binary_jester
    Maze = baaad for the directionally challenged. I can get lost in a cul de sac. Eating fast food is pretty rare for me. It is just those darn kids. :wink:

Definitely getting a least 2 trips to the park. This is probably one of the last nice weekends before everyone goes into hibernation.

I miss Souper Salad. They don't have those here in MN.
  • I will only do that if you do it for me in return. My weekends ARE AWFUL!!!!!!! I kick it off with F it Friday (my weigh in day) I get breakfast, lunch and dinner out! UGH! THen Saturday I work out but I def. don't watch what I am eating and finally Sunday I get back on track. Probably not the best idea.
    I'll yell at you if you yell at me! LOL!
  • binary_jester
    Deal! I did 27 minutes of intervals. What did you do?
  • I like this idea! I need accountability too and tend to mess up on my days off. And with your kids, try to make meals together...they will love to help! And plan activities together instead of trips to fast food places.
This discussion has been closed.