Should be losing weight but now I'm gaining?

Options
Busy1of4
Busy1of4 Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
In the first week I lost weight and now I am gaining even though I am not eating any more than 1200 calories a day. I've done some exercise a few times a week and I thought this should have boosted my weight loss but now I'm gaining weight!

Replies

• HeartbeccaCA
    HeartbeccaCA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged - it could be just a temporary water weight gain. Are you near your menstrual cycle? Are you consuming a lot of salt? (Salt can be hidden everywhere!) Be sure you are reading labels and do not add salt to anything. Also, drink lots of water which usually helps release water retention. Our bodies tend to store water when we do not have enough. So dehydration can make you gain. (Or just make you stop losing)

There are some suggestions.

On the exercise - cardio is good. If you are over 40, resistance training is key to maintaining muscle which will boost your metabolism. (The more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism) I am not talking about bulky body builder muscles, women just get shapely, lean muscles.

Anyway, keep on with your plan. 1 or 2 weeks is hardly enough time to say it isn't working!

Be patient and hang in there.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't happen at a consistent rate per week. Give it 3 weeks before adjusting anything. I don't lose weekly. I will lose a lb, gain 2, then suddenly lose 4 lbs 2 weeks later. Look at the average, not the week (unless you know you've been going overboard).

Edited to add: Any time you add or change exercise, you will gain water weight. Simply water retention in the muscle tissue.
  • llama85
    Options
    I need some help too. For the past six months I've been eating 1200 calories a day, and going to the gym 4-5 times a week, plus gentle exercise on a 6th day. I've come to a stop and I don't know what to do next. I don't feel comfortable dropping my calories any lower as it inhibits my stamina and recovery from exercise.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Despite losing at the exact expected rate (1lb/week), it comes in 2 big drops, about 2-3 weeks apart. I gain weight for 2 weeks and then overnight one day I lose 2 pounds. These are natural fluctuations (In my case I drop around 1 week after TOM and 4 days before). So stay consistent, it'll go away!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I need some help too. For the past six months I've been eating 1200 calories a day, and going to the gym 4-5 times a week, plus gentle exercise on a 6th day. I've come to a stop and I don't know what to do next. I don't feel comfortable dropping my calories any lower as it inhibits my stamina and recovery from exercise.

How long have you been stuck for?
  • danabartocci
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but try eating back some of your exercise calories. Your body is holding on to it because it knows it needs it for your awesome exercise routine. Also, do you do Heart Rate Monitor Training? Try increasing exertion, or maybe try a metabolic changer (weights) a day or two on your exercise.

Keep it up!
  • llama85
    Options
    I've been the same weight for six weeks. A wee bit frustrated because I'm trying my hardest and I'm getting married in four weeks!
  • llama85
    Options
    My current routeine is:
    Monday - 1h weights class (and sometimes 1h pilates class as well)
    Tuesday - 1h 15m cardio and weights session
    Wednesday - 30m cardio and 1h pilates class
    Thursdeay - 1h 15m cardio and weights session
    Friday - Rest day
    Saturday - Gentle exercise like a 30m walk
    Sunday - 1h 15m cardio and weights session

Maybe I do need to increase my food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With as little weight as you have to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb per week at most and when you exercise you need to eat more (at least 50% of your exercise calories).
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't get so stressed about losing weight that you miss out on the excitement of looking forward to your wedding day. You'll be stunning whether you lose those last few pounds or not - remember you've the rest of your life to move off the weight-loss plateau, and your new hubby can help you.

All the very best in your life together
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's because you are eating below 1200 a day that you aren't losing any more. Find out your TDEE and eat (TDEE less 15-20%). It might take a few weeks, it's not a magical bullet but it works. Try this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • GrandmaPeridow
    GrandmaPeridow Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration of gaining. I have been at 1200 calories/day for months. At one time I was down to135. I went on vacation, which included two birthday parties, and came back at 145. I got down to 142 then came back up. It is not due to TOM because I am past menopause. I walk 5 or 6 mornings a week and eat back most of my calories. I do have problems with dehydration and am working on drinking more water.

Don't give up. Concentrate on healthy lifestyle. Good luck on your journey.
  • rocknrolljunkie_
    rocknrolljunkie_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Despite losing at the exact expected rate (1lb/week), it comes in 2 big drops, about 2-3 weeks apart. I gain weight for 2 weeks and then overnight one day I lose 2 pounds. These are natural fluctuations (In my case I drop around 1 week after TOM and 4 days before). So stay consistent, it'll go away!

I so needed to read this today! For the last three weeks I've been eating well and exercising consistently (3 bootcamps/week and 15k of walk/run) and the scale Will. Not. Budge. Unless it slides up a little...:grumble: But I also need to remember that I seem to lose weight like you described... it comes in one or two big drops per month rather than a consistent smaller drop each week. Thanks for the reminder! I was getting ready to lay down on the couch with a truckload of ice cream, lol
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I agree with Maurice and the moderator. When you exercise a lot you need to eat more. I exercise daily am 39, 5'4" and eat around 2200 cal/day. If I go much below that I quit losing. I also aim for a gallon of water a day but that is all I drink so it's not that hard. When I was eating around 1300 cal/day I quit losing also but as I slowly bumped up my calories the weight started coming off again and it's been coming off slowly but steadily since. I follow my TDEE-20% and use a 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat macro setting. Those percentages also took me a long time to figure out but you need carbs and fat as well. I get most of my fat from nuts. I'm not saying this will work for you but just suggesting this as things to look at to try and jump start your weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.