Favorite running shoes?

Options
I'm a beginning runner, but have been doing it long enough to invest in a decent pair of running shoes. What are your favorites, and why?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You will get many answers, but one person's favorite might someone else's least fave - we're all different and our feet have different needs when it comes to running shoes. :tongue:

Personally, I like my Asics - they fit me well, I don't have problems or pains with them, and I can hit the trail with them right out of the box. And I do get their trail runners - I like the more aggressive tread because the majority of my running is on dirt.

If you can, go to a good running store and get fitted. Many will have you run on a treadmill for a few minutes so they can analyze the way you run, and recommend the best shoes for you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    You will get many answers, but one person's favorite might someone else's least fave - we're all different and our feet have different needs when it comes to running shoes. :tongue:

Personally, I like my Asics - they fit me well, I don't have problems or pains with them, and I can hit the trail with them right out of the box. And I do get their trail runners - I like the more aggressive tread because the majority of my running is on dirt.

If you can, go to a good running store and get fitted. Many will have you run on a treadmill for a few minutes so they can analyze the way you run, and recommend the best shoes for you.

^^ This ^^

If you are serious about running, get yourself fitted at a proper running store and choose from the different makes and brands that suit your running style.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you're going to spend the $ on good running shoes, it's worth it to spend the time getting fitted for the right pair. The perfect pair for me might be the absolute worst pair for you, and vice versa.

Go to a running store. Have them help you pick the right pair. Try on more than one pair - they might recommend 2 or 3, so try them all on.

That being said, the right shoe for me right now is an Asics model. Lots of people love Asics, but there are many, many models, for different runners.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Like other people said, I'd get professionally fitted. Because it's pretty important you get the right ones for you.

Me? I love my Mizuno Wave Nexus 6's :love: Just bought them to replace my old pair of Mizuno's which had served me well!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I started with a pair of Skechers go run shoes. They were awesome. Now I'm wearing New Balance Men's MR20v2 Minimus. They're my new favorites.

That said, I would suggest going with what the crowd is saying. If you are able to go to a store dedicated to running/athletic shoes where you can get properly fitted, you should! And with running shoes...I would recommend spending a bit. They're worth the investment.

ETA: If you do happen to order from the internet, you can smetimes save quite a bit if you buy the least popular color. When I got my NB's I went through all the colors and settled on the one with the cheapest price popping up, and saved about 50 bucks.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics, I am a beginning runner myself and I like the gel heels in these shoes. I also replace the soles with athletic Airsoles. If I stay with the running I will probably go to an actual running store and get fit with better shoes. I just didn't want to make that kind of investment in a sport that I may not continue with.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    saucony fiya's are my favorite. Even better I found them on sale when I bought them for $40! :bigsmile: in an awesome purple and teal
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    usually my current ones are my faves, until i get the next pair.
    i love and hate my vibram fivefingers - you know the minimalist shoes with toe pockets - they did great things for my running, but when i ran too much in them they also gave me pretty bad blisters... now i alternate them with my new balance and they are fine.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My favorites right now are my NB Minimus Trail Runners. I strictly trail run, and at times it's muddy, so having the more aggressive tread is a must for me.

However, I know someone who was having some pain issues with their Minimus shoes, so what's right for one person is not necessarily right for another.
  • g04fit_girl
    Options
    NEW BALANCE - I love cushioned Running shoes !! Buy from a speciality store, it makes a difference. You can try the shoes in store (on treadmill) and figure out what you like best !
  • madanda
    madanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful suggestions. I suppose I could have mentioned that I was planning on getting fitted once I take the plunge. If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to get the right pair for me. Thanks again!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have very small feet (euro 33, au2 - yes, seriously), so even when I went to get them fitted, I had a grand total of 2 choices LOL I would love to be able to have more brand and colour choices! All those pretty shoes on the shelves and I get handed two boxes... :laugh:

I love my New Balance runners :smile: So much, I now need to get a new pair.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^^ This ^^

If you are serious about running, get yourself fitted at a proper running store and choose from the different makes and brands that suit your running style.

Yep this!!! I would have never found my Brooks Pure Flow 2's had I not went to get fitted and try on several pairs and got to try them out... But the salesperson that fitted me told me based on our conversation and her watching my stride, foot placement, etc that the Brooks Pure Flow would be the ones I would choose and after I tried on and tested them out she was spot on... Love these shoes.... Best of Luck
  • wcroston138
    wcroston138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel Nimbus. I completed my first marathon and associated training with these shoes, and bought another pair of the same model after the first wore out.

After getting fitted and getting reccomendations at the running store, they will try to sell you a new pair of the latest model. If you want to save a few bucks, go online (I prefer Eastbay.com) and find last years model at a reduced price.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Brooks. They just work really well for me. But I'd suggest going to a running store that does an analysis of your feet and stride. That helped me know what to look for.
  • mandy2128
    Options
    I love merrell barefoot running shoes. :)

Before I starting barefoot running, I wore reebok real flex and really liked those.
  • madanda
    madanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help. :smile: