3500???

This has confused me for a while. So, 3500 =1 pound. Is that in a day? A week? A month?

Replies

• SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    3500 calories = 1lb...that means that reducing your daily calorie intake by 500 calories a day over a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories), you should, in theory, lose a pound a week.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Timeline has nothing to do with it.

3500 cals is equal to 1 lb of fat. It doesn't mean that by eating 3500 cals in a day you're going to gain 1 lb...it means that by eating 3500 EXTRA cals in any given period of time (day, month, year....millenia) you COULD gain as much as 1 lb.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    It's accumulated 3500 calories that aren't burned = a pound. You could potentially do this in a day, week, month....
  • I generally just use that number to justify going over a couple days in a week, or at least as to not beat myself up over it. But also I'm just maintaining at this point, don't think I'm encouraging cheating.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    In theory only. In my experience this does not always hold true.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    of FAT
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    3500 calories = 1lb...that means that reducing your daily calorie intake by 500 calories a day over a week (500 calories x 7 days = 3500 calories), you should, in theory, lose a pound a week.

Hope that makes sense :smile:

This. I am currently trying to lose 2lbs per week so I cut 1000 calories a day. ( negative 1000 calories x 7 days each week = negative 7000 calories. 7000 ÷ 3500 = 2.
    It's working pretty good this far. Except that one time a month. Don't think it would matter if I stopped eating altogether. I gain.

Redundancy for emphasis.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Just to clarify one thing... 3,500 = 1 lb, this is not necessarily FAT, it is 1 lb. Be careful to eat enough protein (weight training also helps) to help maintain your lean muscle in the process. That 1 lb can also come from muscle, not just fat.

Make sure you are weighing your foods for the best accuracy in counting your calories
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    This has confused me for a while. So, 3500 =1 pound. Is that in a day? A week? A month?

That means a pound of fat has 3500 cals in it. So if you want to lose 1lb of fat a week, take 500 cals away from your daily needs, and your body will have to cough up 3500 cals of stored fat out of its piggy bank.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Thanks all!:smile: