i feel fat everytime i eat!

Options
i've been losing weight so i've started getting scared to eat. the past few days ive had a granola bar for breakfast some pretzels for lunch and like a little heavy dinner. today i had some chicken fingers and a little fries. i feel like im gonna get fat from that cause its greasy and fatty. i only ate like 1,200 calories today but will i gain weight since i ate a little unhealthy. im panicking! how can i stop feeling like this?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    This is how anorexia or bulimia starts. You need to find a professional counselor to help you with your disordered feelings toward food.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    stop dieting, start eating healthy, and get your self outdoors and do something other than think about your calorie intake. reality check. your have a life, and it doesn't revolve around calories. getting in shape should be a joy, a positive improvement to your life, not an anxious battle with your food log. I think you should take a break from logging.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ^The side effects of not eating are just as scary as getting 'fat', go and talk to someone and they will help you build some strategies to get past this without it going somewhere dangerous.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Being afraid of food is a slippery slope that can become an eating disorder. Finding a counselor is a very good idea to prevent this mindset from becoming worse.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've felt like this the past, it's really not a good way to think, I've realized. You need to remember that eating greasy/fatty/whatever food will not make you fat. It's going over your calories consistently that will make you gain weight. You need I think 3,500 extra calories to gain an extra pound of fat. That's a lot if you think about it. It's anxiety, so you just have to try to re-establish that your fear of gaining weight by eating some "bad" foods is unfounded.
  • Coraddy
    Options
    Yeah...I actually think you should probably eat more than that.And it might help to learn about nutrition.You probably need more calories and nutrients.Also I think it's okay to eat what you ate for dinner sometimes just not regularly.It won't make you fat to eat like that sometimes even when you're trying to lose weight.But really though,for some reason I'm feeling your pain from this and I feel a little bit worried for you because I know how important it is to have a healthy relationship around eating and food.Do you have any resources to learn about healthy eating?
    I really want for you to be healthy.Friend me if you like and good luck.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I've felt like this the past, it's really not a good way to think, I've realized. You need to remember that eating greasy/fatty/whatever food will not make you fat. It's going over your calories consistently that will make you gain weight. You need I think 3,500 extra calories to gain an extra pound of fat. That's a lot if you think about it. It's anxiety, so you just have to try to re-establish that your fear of gaining weight by eating some "bad" foods is unfounded.
    Absolutely this.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    You are confused.

Your calorie goals are goals to hit within 50 calories or so - - they are not a ceiling.

You don't get extra credit for going under on a regular basis. Instead what you get is muscle being disassembled by your body and used for nutrition that your bodily functions need.

As your muscle mass decreases, your metabolic rate decreases. With each day, you grow weaker and it becomes harder to create a caloric deficit.

If your interest is losing weight, you will fail by continuing on your current path.

Stop it now. Calculate your TDEE. Deduct 20%. Eat to that target. Hit your macros. You will lose weight, not get fat, and suffer a substantially lower rate of muscle loss.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Stop being fixated on scale weight. Everyone fluctuates in weight for several reasons from day to day and from morning to night even at a fixed caloric intake. For instance, you can eat the same amount of calories two days in a row but the day where you consume more carbs and sodium will result in a higher temporary weight the next day. Also, consuming fat does not make one fat - taking in more calories needed to maintain weight does.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get a little anxious too.. only if I eat high fat foods (fast food etc)
    But when I eat fruits & veges and other highly nutritious food I don't feel anxious, I feel better.
    Keep fueling your body.

Ive been doing MFP since the 1st of September and my scale has fluctuated many times. I haven't lost much weight, but I measure myself and my thighs are smaller and my stomach is a bit flatter.
    Scales aren't everything.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Being afraid of food is a slippery slope that can become an eating disorder. Finding a counselor is a very good idea to prevent this mindset from becoming worse.

^This - along with many of the other posters have said. Please consider counseling!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I will agree with what everyone else has said. If you are feeling fear from eating, you are developing a very unhealthy relationship with food. food is not your enemy. No food is "bad" and one meal is not going to make you fat!

As someone who has struggled with an eating disorder, I still have these thoughts from time to time, and get the urge to skip a meal or feel guilty for eating... But counseling gave me tools to overcome those thoughts and fears. I think you should find someone to talk to and sort all of this out before the problems get worse, and you have a real reason to be scared. Trust me, disordered eating is not glamorous and is probably the most depressing thing I have ever experienced, I am sure many others will agree. It robs you of happiness, confidence, pleasure, and so many other things.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

^This - along with many of the other posters have said. Please consider counseling!

Agreed and for goodness sake stop demonizing food and realize food is needed to fuel your body and definitely get some professional help soon before this escalates into something that could become potentially dangerous..... Best of Luck
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    i'i feel like im gonna get fat from that cause its greasy and fatty. i only ate like 1,200 calories today but will i gain weight since i ate a little unhealthy.

The main issue with greasy fatty foods is that it's so easy to hit your calorie goal with them. If you eat 1200 calories of nothing but chicken nuggets every day you'll still lose weight. Try to make good food choices but there's really no bad or good foods.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You can still eat "unhealthy" and lose weight, its all about calories. If you're within your calories and you still gain weight, it is most likey water from extra sodium. If you want to be lean or tone, you still have to eat to retain your lean body mass. Under eating will cause you to lose muscle and if you lose enough muscle and not enough fat, your body fat percentage will go up and you will be flabbier at a lighter weight.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    We don't know your current weight, goal weight, size or age, and all of these can have an impact on the answer.

Food is not your enemy, and eating things that are fried or fatty will not prevent weight loss. Obviously, the goal is to try to eat foods that help you meet your nutrition goals, but if you're mostly on track in that regard, please don't beat yourself up over something that may have a "bad" reputation.

You need food to survive and to thrive. Take things slowly and take care of yourself.