I HATE MY SCALE!!!!!!

Options
MMJ93 So I've been going to the gym at least 3-4x per week, using my elliptical 3-4x per week, tracking all my food and even though I feel like I'm losing inches, the scale won't seem to budge. Also, I feel like even if I have one "off" day it takes me forever to make up for that. I weighed in on Sat morning and then after the weekend I was up 5lbs on Monday morning. I didn't eat "perfect" but 5lbs?!?

Replies

• LLP1225
    LLP1225 Posts: 21
    Options
    Could be water gain. How is your sodium intake? Less sodium means less water retention.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    are you measuring? that is the most accurate way to know if you have lost body fat. you could be losing body fat and gaining muscle. and muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Lark55
    Lark55 Posts: 5
    Options
    Crazy, isn't it? I have had the same experience, but have no pat answers. Try to forge ahead in spite of the numbers, knowing that you are doing better and believing that your efforts WILL be rewarded!
  • JENN17501
    Options
    I so understand! I am looking at what I am eating to see what I can do to help things along. I feel like I've lost but when I step on the scale I want to hurt it. I have honestly looked at it and yelled "Are you kidding me?" I cringe when I think of stepping on that thing. So now I have made up my mind to weigh in one time a week and then hide the thing.
  • sjoy711
    sjoy711 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bleh - I totally get you! That happens to me to often. I stay away from the scale as much as I can. Especially Monday mornings. If I gain weight - I don't want to know. I find it depressing and I often lose motivation to workout or eat right. So I only weigh in on Friday's now. That is before the weekend and after a whole week of being good. Maybe try that? And yes - I think a lot of it is just water weight and gas. Drink tons of water after an "off" day (or weekend) and eats lots of fiber. Clean out your system and try again. ;)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    All of these could be a factor. Do your clothes fit better? Does your body feel "smaller"...often you gain muscle which not matter what is a pound...just a more compact pound....but lose fat. Use a tape measure to get accurate measurements to determine how many INCHES you are droppuing
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I was there for three months! i just lost my first 2lbs...but i did shrink 9 inches all together...make sure you measure yourself...follow your calorie budget...and your body will catch up soon enough...i have never been so happy as i was when i lost my first 2lbs! i thought i was doing something wrong, i thought i was going to go crazy too lol...but you'll be fine...i do highly recommend you drink lots of water though, think of it as a fat burning drink...it will happen you just have to have patience...unlike me, i snapped out :laugh:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Check this out another member posted this in a thread. I was feeling the same way but I did take my measurements yesterday after the scale hadn't moved for 2 weeks and I have lost a total of 17.5 inches!! I am putting the scale away and am only going to check it every 2-3 weeks. This article was really helpful to me OH and my tape measure!! :bigsmile:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/07/3-reasons-to-reconsider-stepping-on-the-scale-this-morning/
  • MMJ93
    MMJ93 Posts: 5
    Options
    I seem to be very reactive to sodium intake. Just did some research and looks like I should stick to around 1500mg of sodium per day. I looked on the fitness pal printable food diary and it does give sodium amounts, NICE! I am measuring so I'll just have to keep focusing on those numbers. I keep telling myself...."This can't hurt." I love the support and reassurance that I'm not the only one who hates my scale!
  • rotfool
    Options
    I feel ya, but you got to remember. 1 cu. in. of muscle weighs more than 1 cu. in. of fat. While the scale might not cooperate a belt loop never lies. How is your health? Are you getting better endurance, lower heart rates, faster? It also matters how close you are to your goal weight. Some people notice a little weight gain when they start working out (esp with weightlifting), but can attribute that to muscles holding water.

sjoy711, great tip! I'm going to switch to Friday mornings.
  • christina1109
    Options
    are you measuring? that is the most accurate way to know if you have lost body fat. you could be losing body fat and gaining muscle. and muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is a leaner, denser substance than fat, hence taking up less space. If you put 16 oz of fat on one scale and 16 oz of muscle on another, the one with the fat will have more on it, but they will weigh the same.
  • christina1109
    Options
    MMJ93 So I've been going to the gym at least 3-4x per week, using my elliptical 3-4x per week, tracking all my food and even though I feel like I'm losing inches, the scale won't seem to budge. Also, I feel like even if I have one "off" day it takes me forever to make up for that. I weighed in on Sat morning and then after the weekend I was up 5lbs on Monday morning. I didn't eat "perfect" but 5lbs?!?

Sometimes you have to go up before you can come down.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Throw it out! Scales can be good and bad...try weighing yourself less..maybe once a month...not gonna kill you...may keep you a lil more sane though.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is a leaner, denser substance than fat, hence taking up less space. If you put 16 oz of fat on one scale and 16 oz of muscle on another, the one with the fat will have more on it, but they will weigh the same.

THANK YOU!!! Someone else gets basic math :laugh:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah no doubt...isn't that like the math question "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks"...when i started i gained 5lbs...and was devistated...make sure you don't have PMS either lol that's water retention and hormal b!tchyness right there