Under calories but over fat?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
I try not to go over on fat but on days like today when I have eggs it makes me wonder...

If you're over in fat but under in calories, do you still lose weight? What happens? I've been told to just worry about calories, but let's say you're under your calories all the time, not dangerously, but just under you goal in a good way. Now, what if you go over in fat by something like 10 or 20 EVERY day. What would happen? If you're under calories, do you still lose?

I'm interested what's actually happening in the body... And before anyone asks, no I don't go over in fat by 20 every day, haha. This is all just hypothetical. :glasses:

Replies

• danmullen
    Options
    I don't really know what the effect is, but I'm pretty sure it depends on what type of fat it is. If you exceed the overall fat level but it's not saturated fat, I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Personally, I always try to keep within my calorie and saturated fat daily goals.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I also go over the fat limit just about every day but I consider it is a good thing because the fats I eat are Olive Oil, Flax Oil, foods like salmon, unsalted nuts and seeds. These kinds of foods go a long way toward insuring I am not out of control hungry. I read somewhere that you have to eat fat in order to burn fat. Not sure how true it is, but having plenty of the right kinds of fat has really helped in my weight loss plus my skin has been healthier looking with fewer stretch marks and feeling softer.
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Excess calories, regardless of where they come from (fat or carbs), get converted into and stored as fat in our bodies. As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight -- no excess calories means no new fat stores. The only trick to weight loss is being able to accurately count and control those calories. And there, the hardest variable to control is our metabolism.

The breakdown of carbs/fat/protein has more to do with nutrition and overall health. There are innumerable studies which suggest that diets high in certain types of fats or carbs have associated health risks.

From a weight-loss perspective, diets which are low in either fats or carbs are just attempting to manipulate that calories in/calories out equation. For instance, fat has more calories per weight than sugar, so a low fat diet may allow you to eat more food for the same amount of calories. But if you're able to stay under without having to cut out the fat, then you're fine. Similarly, complex carbs are known for helping you to stay fuller longer, which can help you to eat less. Other diets which strictly control the amount of fat or carbs you eat work by attempting to boost your metabolism.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    it also depends on what percentage you have your fat set at. You can safely go as high as 30% and still lose weight. I am set at 40-30-30 carbs protein fat. it is a safe balance. I beleive the MFP default is 20%