Lifting your max.

Options
I haven't found my max yet. As in the greatest amount of weight i can lift, with only a single rep.

I usually lift reasonably heavy. I'll get maybe 10 reps in a set, sometimes 8. But for some reason i'm terrified of straining myself to the point i can only do a single rep. I know it'd benefit me to know what percentage of my max i'm lifting on a regular basis, and I'm all about increasing my weight when i start feeling stronger. Yet i am so apprehensive about going REALLY heavy.

I guess i have nothing to worry about if i have a spot right? What percentage of my weight should i be able to lift (max weight) if i just started lifting recently?

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You can try all the calculators you want, but the only real way to figure it out is to do it. Make sure you have a spotter, warm up sufficiently before you try to max, and just go for it. Don't try and max out every week, just once a month, or every other month at the most.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. i think i'll check out the calculator and see if i can get a basic idea.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    One rep max is for bragging rights and power lifting.
  • skywa
    Options
    you really think it has no application for getting in shape? i mean...i imagine it'd be a good way to track increases in over all strength...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you need to know how to properly fail a lift.

yeah- I know that sounds funny. But it's like falling off a horse- you need to know how to properly do it so you don't get trampled or drug or squished.

i'ts VERY important as a lifter to know how to fail a lift and properly dump the weight.

I fail lifts all the time. On purpose I do a lot of pyramid up and down loading/drop sets.

today I did Front Squats: 15 one rep sets- on the minute. I failed a few. It was okay. it is what it is is. I learn- I push I learn.

squat with the safety rails.
    Learn how to sit down with weight on your back (and or on your front if you do front squats)
    bench with a spotter- AND learn the roll of shame.

This things are important to know. Don't be terrified. I started doing failure mostly by loading up- starting wtih the bar and just working up till I couldn't lift any more- reps go down FAST as you get heavier- and that's okay. I'ts OKAY to fail a lift- you need to know what it feels like and how to do it.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

I found this to be the most accurate calculator. It even tells you how many reps you can get based on your 1 rep max. I usually lift in the 80 to 85% range or sets of 5 reps to ensure safety.

If you're doing a program that calls for 6-10 reps, or 5 reps your 1 rep max can give you a place to start. Some programs like 5/3/1 are based on your 1 rep max.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    methinks you're overestimating the benefit of performing a 1 rep max or even knowing what it is. i don't know what my 1RM is for any lift and i don't care
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    you really think it has no application for getting in shape? i mean...i imagine it'd be a good way to track increases in over all strength...

If you can increase the weight on your sets of 8-10, you are getting stronger.
  • skywa
    Options
    you need to know how to properly fail a lift.

yeah- I know that sounds funny. But it's like falling off a horse- you need to know how to properly do it so you don't get trampled or drug or squished.

i'ts VERY important as a lifter to know how to fail a lift and properly dump the weight.

I fail lifts all the time. On purpose I do a lot of pyramid up and down loading/drop sets.

today I did Front Squats: 15 one rep sets- on the minute. I failed a few. It was okay. it is what it is is. I learn- I push I learn.

squat with the safety rails.
    Learn how to sit down with weight on your back (and or on your front if you do front squats)
    bench with a spotter- AND learn the roll of shame.

This things are important to know. Don't be terrified. I started doing failure mostly by loading up- starting wtih the bar and just working up till I couldn't lift any more- reps go down FAST as you get heavier- and that's okay. I'ts OKAY to fail a lift- you need to know what it feels like and how to do it.

thanks for the tips!