I wish I could lose stomach area

Options
I am 34 years old female, I am 130 Ib, I am thin everywhere, except my stomach bulge out, when I see my self in mirror on side it looks horrible,I do not know what to do, I am watching what I eat but I do not know how to lose this stomach area??
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated..thank you

Replies

• wintersand87
    wintersand87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gosh that's the story of my life too. got worse since ive had kids. idk what to do either :(
  • Robins555
    Robins555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well , ive been using a app. called my fitness pal to keep track of everything i have been eating. by cutting out the carbs at night and sit ups and cardio my mid section is looking good. hope this might help you.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Sontoun
    Sontoun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Darn belly rolls from having the kids! Pretty much every part has gotten smaller since I've started with a new trainer except my belly! My trainer told me to increase my cardio to 90 minutes 6 x per week as well as more core work! I told him I'd do the best I could with that because I'd need a 30 hr day. Seriously though, I told him to get me as small as it'll go then we'll see...until then it's more cardio and more core work...sigh!

Sometimes it's bad genes cuz my petite 90 lb sister has 2 tiny belly skin rolls from having kids.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My stomach is my worst feature. Pretty much cause it is all fat covered. I am just at the start of my journey so I hope that over time I can get rid of all the fat and actually look good again.

Good luck to all .. cause the stomach is definitely an area where a lot of us have issues.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    No tips here, sorry.

I did however want to add that for the men who state "do this" to a woman who has had children it is not that simple at all. Especially C-section mommies as we have had muscle seperation etc. When you carry a child, your body can only flex so much. I believe this to be a very common issue with women especially.
  • fodell
    Options
    My stomach is the worst part of me too. Ever since I've had three kids it's just been a blob of fat. I workout with a trainer at least 4x per week. I am strong and pretty toned everywhere except my stomach. I would like to lose 40lbs. I just started MFP. After the 40 I may look into having a tummy tuck but until then I need to focus on my diet which is the most challenging part for me.
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen" cardio, diet and 2x core work outs per week.

You may also need to improve your posture. Does your lower back arch?
  • cj731
    cj731 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well , ive been using a app. called my fitness pal to keep track of everything i have been eating. by cutting out the carbs at night and sit ups and cardio my mid section is looking good. hope this might help you.
    i use the same app!

Whoa.
    You might not believe this, but I USE IT TOO.
    Coincidence? Or part of a world domination scheme?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i thought my pouch would never go! but eating high carb and mainly fruit has made it disappear in like 2 weeks!
    queue a load of fruit and high carb bashing comments
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Read this interesting article:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat

Thin People Have It, Too

But even if you're thin, you can still have too much visceral fat.

It's partly about your genes. Some people have a genetic tendency to store visceral fat.

It's also about physical activity. Visceral fat likes inactivity. A British study showed that thin people who maintain their weight through diet alone, skipping exercise, are more likely to have unhealthy levels of visceral fat.

So the message is get active, no matter what size you are.
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! By that I mean resistance training for the WHOLE BODY. Yep, core work and cardio is good, but if you really want results, compound lifting is a great thing to do.

Increasing muscle mass (or at least, not losing it as you lose weight) increases the metabolism, meaning that with the same amount of cardio and same amount of food eaten, you have a larger deficit so you lose fat faster. Best ways to increase muscle mass are with compound lifts: squat, bench and deadlift - you'll be working your muscles in your legs, arms, back, chest AND core, rather than just core, increasing the amount of lean muscle you're building/retaining. Just existing, it'll burn calories. This is so much better in the long-run than just working core muscles, because all that'll do is make the muscles under the fat larger, thereby very very slightly having that awesome increased metabolic rate result, but nowhere near as much as you could have had from working, say, the legs and glutes, as they're much larger muscles than the abdominals, and therefore have a far larger metabolism-raising capacity.

As muscle mass increases (or at least, stays the same while weight is being lost, if you're at a deficit), body fat percentage decreases, hopefully evenly from the whole body, including the stomach.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, cardio and core workouts.

I've been working on this for the past couple of weeks and had some promising results! It's not gone but it's getting smaller! :D
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen" cardio, diet.

You may also need to improve your posture. Does your lower back arch?

THIS.

Skinny fat. Your body fat% is probably higher than you think it is like most people. Goes for men as well.

What the OP needs to do is get an overall below maintenance calorie deficit. You an do this through diet alone or diet and cardio. I always recommend doing weights 2x a week. Do not count your weights at all. It's hard to get an accurate measure of how many calories you use in a given weights session.

DIET DIET DIET.

I rarely do any cardio and people always ask me if I do any cardio. I tell them no. I'm too lazy. I eat well and hit the weights hard 4x a week.

***You can not exercise a bad diet unless you are doing 6-7hrs a day which is not practical for most people.***

Strength training will also help you get a flat stomach but it will do nothing unless your diet is in check.

Koing
  • medicalsection
    Options
    thank you guys all for the nice comments
    so far what I will do is 1.doing more cardio, although I do cardio 6 days a week 50 minutes, so can't tell what more should I do?
    2. decrease carbohydrates, although I always eat little carbohydrates but never know why I have increase fat in abdominal area, so I can not tell what should I decrease more??
    @holly you recommended weight lifting, I am afraid of doing that cause I do not want to get muscles like men, but I will try squat, ..etc, how can I do upper limbs weight lifting without getting big biceps? what do you suggest?thank you:).
    @chor, no I never have back pain
    if I just lose 10 IB, I will be super happy, my body never lose weight anymore and stay at this level for good
    Thank you all for the nice advices:) God bless all
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    Options
    I'd love to know how too..... This baby belly is not going anywhere:/ I've been told... clean eating and lots of cardio... but everyone has a way of doing things.... Finding out what works per person is the best! I'm going to try this clean eating first.... feel free to add me if you want! We will do this together!!!!
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    thank you guys all for the nice comments
    so far what I will do is 1.doing more cardio, although I do cardio 6 days a week 50 minutes, so can't tell what more should I do?
    2. decrease carbohydrates, although I always eat little carbohydrates but never know why I have increase fat in abdominal area, so I can not tell what should I decrease more??
    @holly you recommended weight lifting, I am afraid of doing that cause I do not want to get muscles like men, but I will try squat, ..etc, how can I do upper limbs weight lifting without getting big biceps? what do you suggest?thank you:).
    @chor, no I never have back pain
    if I just lose 10 IB, I will be super happy, my body never lose weight anymore and stay at this level for good
    Thank you all for the nice advices:) God bless all

Acquiring muscles is VERY hard, even for men! For women, without extensive supplements and/or steroids, it is unspeakably difficult (on account of a lower level of systemic testosterone). Also, gaining muscles will never happen suddenly either. It takes a young man at least a year (and usually more) to get to the point where the muscles are noticeable. Much before that comes definition and shape (and what the lay population calls 'toning.') However, for definition and shape, nutritional control is absolutely essential. There are men who lift ungodly amounts of weight and are incriedibly strong, but look "fat." Because they are. They eat humongous quantities to gain strength and compete in power lifting competitions. On the other hand, there are women, who lift very heavy weights (in compound exercises), eat right, and look like a million dollars. Check out this video: http://youtu.be/HNWdpZ63Vdg .