squats and calculating calories burned

Options
Hi I am planning to do some squats among other things using an excercise ball/stability ball, but when I was logging it in to get an idea of how many calories it would burn, it doesn't say. Surely it burns calories. Is it just one of those things you do just for the added bonus and just count calories that get burned when on my treadmill?:huh:

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Found this online:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CalorieBurnChart.htm

Looks like squats burn .096 calories per pound of body weight per minute.

So a 200 lbs. person doing squats for 30 minutes would burn 576 calories.

Hope that helps!
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Thanks alot! I probably won't be doing that many :laugh: , I have never done one in my life. Now(No) time like the present to get started though
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to stand up if I did squats non stop for 30 minutes:cry:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes.

The more you get away from steady-state aerobic exercise, the more difficult it is to come up with calculated intensities that can be generally applied to the population.

Example: Walking on a treadmill at 3 mph is a simple, steady-state activity. The energy cost of that activity has been studied in detail, so coming up with a formula to calculate calories burned while walking 3 mph that can be applied to most of the population is pretty straightforward. There is not a lot of variability from person to person.

Not so with exercises like squats, circuit training, many aerobic classes, etc. There is too much variability, both in the population and with energy systems used, to come up with a formula or table that is applicable to everyone. (There are calculations that do exist, but there is still a lot of inter-person variability).

The issue is becoming more relevant with the growing trend of hybrid, multi-movement, multi-plane exercise routines such as P90X, circuit training, tabata, etc. Because much of the weight-loss benefit of these types of programs occurs during the post-exercise recovery phase and comes from changes in body composition, it is difficult if not impossible to quantify the direct effect. The heart rate monitor market has boomed partly because people are using them to try to quantify this effort, but there are problems with this as well.

If you are just doing some "add-on" strength exercises, it's probably best to just not count them as "calories" --let it just be a "bonus".
  • luisjr17
    Options
    Do a lot of cardio and NO SUGARS!!!!!!!! Works for me.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for the posts
  • Shanon_b
    Shanon_b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks I put this in system:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That makes no sense. I would say the opposite. If you do a lot of cardio, then your sugars will easily burn off. The less cardio, the less sugar you will want to eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are just doing some "add-on" strength exercises, it's probably best to just not count them as "calories" --let it just be a "bonus".

Just wanted to reiterate this point....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Found this online:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CalorieBurnChart.htm

Looks like squats burn .096 calories per pound of body weight per minute.

So a 200 lbs. person doing squats for 30 minutes would burn 576 calories.

Hope that helps!

Only if they set themselves on fire first.
  • floppyghost
    Options
    True. You can get a rough estimate simply by wearing a pulse-belt and log the duration and pulse, since your heart-rate correspond pretty well with the intensity of any given exercise though.

Two different exercices that cause your pulse to stay at the same level for the same duration, are pretty likely to burn aproximately the same amount of calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Just wanted to reiterate this point....

:drinker:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

If u cant give legit advice rather don't say anything
  • RajeevSamuel
    Options

Cardio + no HFCS is a good place to start.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    True. You can get a rough estimate simply by wearing a pulse-belt and log the duration and pulse, since your heart-rate correspond pretty well with the intensity of any given exercise though.

Two different exercices that cause your pulse to stay at the same level for the same duration, are pretty likely to burn aproximately the same amount of calories.
    Completely false. Heart rate actually has very little, if any correlation with calorie burn.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Cardio + no HFCS is a good place to start.

Solid first post.

Also...thread was started in 2010....
  • I usually don't log strength training, just cardio.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I log strength training with the mfp calculations, but I don't really stress over the number of calories burned. From what I have learned, the real benefit is from the increased calorie burn afterwards from building muscle.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If you are doing squats for the calorie burn, you're doing it wrong. :smokin:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options