in need of guidance, help, motivation and hard truths

Options
Hi everyone. I'm not considered a new member, since i've been using myfitnesspal on and off over the past few years. I am desperately trying to lose weight, because i guess the psychological impact of me hating the way i look is affecting every other aspect of my life. My long term partner and my girlfriends all insist they love the way i am, convincing me that my curves are what makes me special. I accept that i am never the skinny type of girl, always envious of the clothes my sister can wear, but i also accept that i will always have a bit more in my bottom region and a little curves here and there.

But i want to look healthy, be healthy, feel healthy.

and right now, for a long long time, i don't. i cannot even climb to the floor level 5 without panting and cursing at myself.

I think the final straw came when my partner, in his sweet little way, supported me by setting a goal with me - that we will lose the weight (he isn't even fat, he's fit) and buy me my favorite bikini to wear n walk me in to the new water theme park confidently. i know he wants to support me n though he constantly tells me he doesn't think i am fat, i sure feel so and think he does, quietly. or maybe, that's just my insecurity about myself doing all the talking.

I love to swim, but i stopped swimming when wearing a swimsuit became a total embarrassment for me. I run 5ks and 10ks on and off over the past 3 years, fell, broke my ankle, got back up, continued with regular kick boxing and thai boxing (but this particular one proved too much for my recovering ankle). I've recently moved to another country and lost a bit of weight, about 6kg in 4 months because of diet change, mainly because i was starving myself, causing my hair to fall out. Fearing that, i gained 4kg back in the last 3 months. Right now, i'm yoyo-ed back to a 75kg for a 165cm height.

So now i've settled into my new life (though its a short term here), i've went back to the gym BUT within 10 minutes of lesmills body attack workout, i was DIZZY and extremely LIGHTHEADED. This isn't the first time i've felt this - i have low blood sugar according to my doctor and i was advised to eat something small like a banana before work out (which i did). So, yes, i gave up and left the class within 20 minutes.

I would like to know if this is normal for people who are trying to get back onto a regular intense workout schedule, and how long does this take to go away? i don't want to give up, no excuses, but its really getting to me. Furthermore, i know it differs person to person, but how long does it take before my body is able to accept the exercises without feeling like i'm going "die" every 5 minutes?

Sorry for the long lengthy post.

Replies

• forwardme
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm not considered a new member, since i've been using myfitnesspal on and off over the past few years. I am desperately trying to lose weight, because i guess the psychological impact of me hating the way i look is affecting every other aspect of my life. My long term partner and my girlfriends all insist they love the way i am, convincing me that my curves are what makes me special. I accept that i am never the skinny type of girl, always envious of the clothes my sister can wear, but i also accept that i will always have a bit more in my bottom region and a little curves here and there.

But i want to look healthy, be healthy, feel healthy.

and right now, for a long long time, i don't. i cannot even climb to the floor level 5 without panting and cursing at myself.

I think the final straw came when my partner, in his sweet little way, supported me by setting a goal with me - that we will lose the weight (he isn't even fat, he's fit) and buy me my favorite bikini to wear n walk me in to the new water theme park confidently. i know he wants to support me n though he constantly tells me he doesn't think i am fat, i sure feel so and think he does, quietly. or maybe, that's just my insecurity about myself doing all the talking.

I love to swim, but i stopped swimming when wearing a swimsuit became a total embarrassment for me. I run 5ks and 10ks on and off over the past 3 years, fell, broke my ankle, got back up, continued with regular kick boxing and thai boxing (but this particular one proved too much for my recovering ankle). I've recently moved to another country and lost a bit of weight, about 6kg in 4 months because of diet change, mainly because i was starving myself, causing my hair to fall out. Fearing that, i gained 4kg back in the last 3 months. Right now, i'm yoyo-ed back to a 75kg for a 165cm height.

So now i've settled into my new life (though its a short term here), i've went back to the gym BUT within 10 minutes of lesmills body attack workout, i was DIZZY and extremely LIGHTHEADED. This isn't the first time i've felt this - i have low blood sugar according to my doctor and i was advised to eat something small like a banana before work out (which i did). So, yes, i gave up and left the class within 20 minutes.

I would like to know if this is normal for people who are trying to get back onto a regular intense workout schedule, and how long does this take to go away? i don't want to give up, no excuses, but its really getting to me. Furthermore, i know it differs person to person, but how long does it take before my body is able to accept the exercises without feeling like i'm going "die" every 5 minutes?

Sorry for the long lengthy post.
    [/quote]
  • forwardme
    Options
    Ketsudon
    Sorry I seem to have replied to your post by reposting it so I will try again.
    Much of what you say applies to myself including the getting dizzy breathless etc. My man is brilliant and supportive and mainly baffled as to why I don't love me the way he loves me. But anyway...
    I have decided today to try something different fitness pal hasn't worked for me because I put in my calories after I've eaten - because if something is too many calories it doesn't stop me eating it. What it has done is stop me getting bigger something about looking at it every day or so and thinking about it has stopped me just eating what I want so that is good.
    Like you I have injuries a broken elbow and before that a broken wrist and injuries have to be recovered from slowly.
    So my something different first I've got a meal plan not a lose weight one because like you I've tried that and diets are megga boring or I end up substituting half the meals because I either can't afford or don't like the choices. This is a simple 1400 calories plenty of fruit protein etc and doesn't cut out anything. I need something strict because I'm way to busy with work and it's one less thing to think about. I can only exercise when it fits around my job so I've just done a little plan for each day - no gym - and I think that's your problem here you need to build the exercise up slow and steady and then keep it up. Then when you've lost some weight when you aren't panting up those stairs then increase it. This year I've managed to clear all my credit cards by joining an on line group of supportive people and every month we've posted what we've done - saved - sold - made whatever that's been a huge motivator. So if you want to hook up online and try to motivate eachother that might work.
  • minxvox
    Options
    You might consider re-starting with a less intense workout. I'm sure you can build up to the class in no time, but that workout is really taxing. So there's that. I also wonder if eating some protein sometime before your workout would be better than just a banana. Bananas are very high in sugar, and I know if that's all I eat as as a snack my blood sugar bounces big time (I have problems with blood sugar like you do). Make sure to stay hydrated and pace yourself.

I know a bit about extreme dieting--even to the point of hair falling out--since I used to have an ED. It suggest to me that you have to be careful with throwing yourself into things that are hard on your body. Not that you shouldn't work up to intense workouts, but if you dieted to the point of your hair falling out, you might have a tendency to be too extreme, and that hurts us in the long run. I suspect you are very hard on yourself regarding your weight, and it's worth being more gentle and patient with the fitness/diet process.

I've been on the yo yo train lately, so I really understand how frustrating it can be. I'm working on not starving myself and falling into old, bad habits.

Many good thoughts to you.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Because you are having health problems - as opposed to fitness problems - then right now at this stage you may consider looking at the food that you are eating. You should never go below your calorie maintenance level for a start. but if you are eating real foods you will have some leeway.

Concentrate on real and whole foods - no junk foods no processed foods - limit meat products try and avoid dairy products eat lots of fruits, fish, potatoes and rice to start with. Avoid oils completely in your food. You will lose weight from this alone but more importantly you will gain health and confidence - and you will make the stairs because this diet repairs your hormone imbalances and cardiovascular system. Also no more diet drinks or sweeteners - water only

This is as important as getting exercise and you will have the edge on everybody else
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hard truths coming your way.

Eat at a deficet period.
    Move more and do the exercise you want.
    As for you never being able to be "skinny" BULLCRAP...aim for fit and slim tho. You wont lose your curves...lots of woman who lose weight and get healthy are curvy...

Take your doctors advice and eat a small something before you do. I have to eat before I work out as well..nothing big but something about 45mins before.

I don't see a lot of health problems other then low blood sugar...well I have low blood pressure that causes the same thing.

I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred...I felt like I was gonna die but I didn't. I cried once after my first level 2 workout but continued doing it for another 9 days. Then did level 3. I lost 9 inches doing it. Now I lift weights (love love love it)

If you want to work out work out. Run, kickbox, lift weights and for gods sake go swimming if you love it. Most importantly chose somethign you love to do so you will do it.

As for "real" and "whole" foods BS...limit meat double BS (you need protien to repair your muscles after working out) avoid Dairy another BS. Avoid Oils BS BS BS.

As soon as you start losing weight and exercising that will make you feel better. You can lose weight, you can be healthy and you can exercise.

If you are on MFP and following their program put your information in and go for it. Eat your exercise calories back, buy a kitchen scale and weigh your food and log everything regardless of the embarrassment if you go "over" your limits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Go to this group and read the sticky posts ask questions they are a great help and be very careful of people who tell you things like blah blah food is bad, only eat this type of food, limit this, avoid that....:grumble: that will lead you to feeling deprived and a sure way to fail.

Just stay within your calorie goals to reach your deficet, move more, be patient this is a marathon not a sprint and watch the weight go...confidence rise and the smiles increase.