3 month challenge - 18kg by Christmas Eve... Who's with me?

Options
cogsblogs23
cogsblogs23 Posts: 33
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I joined here at the beginning of the year and after whipping myself in the gym and losing 5kg fairly quickly, life got busy and I've gained what I lost and am back to square 1. I don't want to write 2013 as a complete failure so my challenge is to lose approximately 6kg a month to bring me down to my goal of losing 18kg by Christmas (with an additional 10kg in 2014).

Who's with me?

Replies

• MsAHolli
    MsAHolli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you.
  • Theliisa
    Theliisa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Definitely in!
  • asyaan
    Options
    In :)
  • lacarla
    Options
    Im in!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    18kg is about 40lbs. In order to lose that much in 3 months, you'd have to lose 3lbs a week consistently, i.e. be deficient of 10500 calories a week/ 1500 calories a day. So if your TDEE is 2200, you'd have to NET only 700 calories a day for 3 months.

You're setting yourself up for failure. This is not going to happen.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^That
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    18kg is about 40lbs. In order to lose that much in 3 months, you'd have to lose 3lbs a week consistently, i.e. be deficient of 10500 calories a week/ 1500 calories a day. So if your TDEE is 2200, you'd have to NET only 700 calories a day for 3 months.

Quoting for emphasis. This!
  • Rebeccahelen514
    Rebeccahelen514 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Im in!!!!!
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Really sorry to put a downer on this, really I am. Unfortunately, 18kg by Christmas is a heck of a lot. That's like 6kg or 13 lbs a month, 3 lbs a week. Only with an insane amount of exercise, coupled with a low calorie diet can you achieve this. Plus you are more likely to crash and put the weight straight back on.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

This.

This is probably precisely why you gained the weight back, seeing as you said you lost it 'quickly' the first time round.

1lb a week will give you a nice 13lb loss by Christmas Eve.
  • wrgawife
    wrgawife Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    iam in
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Quoted again since no one is reading it.
  • cogsblogs23
    Options
    Wow! What a great support network! Pfft! So even if I only lose half that amount, it's still 9kg less than what I currently am... Honestly, I don't know anyone who would be disappointed with that (as opposed to nothing)! Geez!
  • strattonlouise
    Options
    How about 6kg by Christmas? I lost a little over 18kg before starting here on this site, however, it took me a year and a half to do so. I plan on losing an additional 18-19kg, and again, am targeting myself for another year and a half. This way I am not dieting and over-exercising. I am instead eating healthy meals, mostly full of vegetables, and exercising about 3 hours/week. I have just started back on track with this food dairy site. There used to be a really good one on prevention.com but it is no longer available. :( The good thing about losing the weight slowly is that you are less likely to gain it back. I lost the first 1 1/2 years of weight loss ending about 3 years ago and have kept it off without any problems. I am hoping to do the same with the remaining weight. Good luck with however you choose to obtain your weight loss. I am sure you will do well.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Dear Cogs,

I am most certainly not unsupportive of you but as others before me have stated, 18kg is a lot or weight to lose before Christmas.

I read your profile and absolutely resonate with the things that you have said. Last year I was over 90kg and desperately wanted to lose a heap of weight, and fast. But to be honest with you, it is so much better to take the slow and steady approach and actually get to goal, even though it might take a little longer.

This time last year, I was 92kg. I wanted to drop 6kg in the first month and then 5kg every month after that. I joined MFP and started logging calories, DRASTICALLY cut my calories to between 700-100 per day. And so began the yo-yo starve binge cycle yet again. I couldn't sustain it, and I deactivated from MFP, because it was hopeless and gave up. By December 2012 I'd lost 2kg and felt like a complete failure.

For one reason or another I came back to MFP and this time, had a new approach. This time, I calculated my TDEE and ate between 1600-1800 per day (initially). I spent a lot of time researching nutrition, and came up with a good food plan, I started lifting weights again and started to lose FAT.

My weight has consistently dropped about 3kg per month, slowing now as I am almost at goal. Yes, it has taken a YEAR to get here, but let me tell you it's been a fantastic year and I am reaping the rewards. I have lost almost 20% body fat.

I know we all want to look gorgeous in a party dress for Christmas, but lets face it - you are already gorgeous. By all means, make a start and make a plan for a healthier you, but in that plan, try to include a realistic goal and smart plan for getting you there in a timeframe that isn't going to drive you insane or make you feel like a failure at the first little speed hump.

By all means - aim high!! But not too high that you will be let down when you don't get there in a short time frame.

Best of luck to you :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

The math says this is not a good idea. IE - not a safe, sane idea.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great support network! Pfft! So even if I only lose half that amount, it's still 9kg less than what I currently am... Honestly, I don't know anyone who would be disappointed with that (as opposed to nothing)! Geez!

But you weren't talking about losing half that amount, you stated you wanted to lose 18kg. If you had said you wanted to lose 9kg, there'd be no problems, 1.5lbs a week is sustainable and a healthy amount. Heck, i'd be signing on with you.
    But you won't find anyone on here supportive of super low calorie/crash dieting.
    Telling someone that their goals are unhealthy and unreasonable IS being supportive.
    Aim for 18kg by 24th March.
  • Ultimateasoka
    Options
    I am definitely in
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

People are supportive of realistic, sustainable and healthy goals, but crash-dieting is none of those things.
This discussion has been closed.