question about couscous

Options
I bought some israeli couscous at the grocery store and when I looked up the calories, regular couscous has about 170 per 1cup prepared. but the israeli couscous is listed as 190 for 1/3cup prepared. What's the difference? couscous is cousocus right?

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I dont have any input for you on this but I never had this stuff til recently and never realized how good it was and how many people really dont know about it. I made some the other night when I had some friends over and they were like what the hell is that stuff?

hahaha
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I think Israeli couscous is a bigger grain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_couscous
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    okay, I have to ask ~
    what is it??
    lol =)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like rice. It's good! You should Google it. :)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Huh, I always thought couscous was the same too. That is after I found out what it was a year or so ago! My first reaction to couscous was What Is That, along with Hummus. Now I am curious what the diff is. I'll try the Google thingie.
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think because it's a little bigger it's starchier. (sp?) Regular couscous doesn't have the bulk in it to make it super starchy. I'm not sure if you bought it already prepared or if it was dried, but 1/3 of dried makes an easy cup cooked if not more. It's good stuff though, I add spinach, olives, tomatoes, and parsley to mine. It's really filling!
  • thevetchling
    thevetchling Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can see there being a 170 - 190 calorie difference being with different varieties or brands of cous cous. The 1/3 of a cup versus 1 cup seems to be a typo for one or the other. Or one has given the prepared calories the other the dry weight calories.
    One way of the other, something is up. I wish I could tell you which was right. Check against other sources of calorie information.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    mmmm ..yummy. The are both grains but different you are correct - the Israeli versions is more pasta like (think orzo). So many things you can do with .. add some onion, mushrooms - cook like a risotto .. the list goes on and on..