Chobani is bad because the sugar content is too high?

Options
so we bought quite a lot of chobani yogurt with fruit at the bottom today.
i used to eat a small tub everyday for the protein and the calcium also because its delicious and satisfies my sweet tooth but i would throw away the fruit at the bottom because i thought all the sugar was in the fruit beneath. that was until i found out that the sugar was also in the yogurt itself - unsurprisingly since it did taste quite sweet.
i know everyone is going to say it doesn't matter because it's simply calories in and calories out although, you do need to take into account sugar since it does quickly absorb into bloodstream and it will cause you to gain weight more easily...
i think i will eat the no fat plain chobani and add my own fruit and stevia instead rather than eating the small fruit tubs.. hmm does anyone else eat chobani and what do you think? is it bad for weight loss?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hasn't slowed me down any. Somehow I suspect there are other sources of sugar that are more problematic than greek yogurt.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I eat it as well as other varieties of greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. Has not caused any problems in my weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't 'make you gain weight more easily'. Calories in, calories out. But yes it has some sugar, if you buy the plain kind there will be much less, and possibly the 2% yogurt will have even less. Then yes add your own fruit... it will be much more filling for the calories too. It's what I used to do, until I got lazy.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani it is a good way to get extra protein. I agree sugar content can be an issue for some, but I wouldn't freak over sugar too much. I don't add sugar to anything and reduce it whenever I can when cooking etc. The main thing - unless you have a health or dietary problem, is to enjoy all the good food out there - in MODERATION. Stay active and enjoy life.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I always mix the fruit in before I eat it
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You posted a topic about the this other day from a "clean eating" perspective. Yet, you seem to ignore the the advice that was provided to you in that thread by people on this site that are healthy, smart, and look good.

It doesn't matter. Eat the yogurt.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I switched to plain chobani (or any plain greek that is on sale) because I realized the same thing. I add my own berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries - whatever is on sale:)) which makes me feel better about the sugar b/c it is coming from fresh fruit. There is still some sugar in the plain, has not hindered my loss.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt every single day and it hasn't affected my weight loss either. Love the protein it provides and its so yummy. I don't really watch my sugar although most days, I know I go well over 100 grams but I eat fruit and dont add it in. So yea, i'd say its fine.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I only use the yogurt that is coconut or the lime flavor. Less sugar and the fruit on the bottom stuff is just a tablespoon of jam tossed in. Never take something at face value. READ READ READDDDDDDDDD
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just eat it.
    its a much better option than a lot of stuff out there.

and you can be absolutely shredded and lean while eating sugar.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 170g tubs of the passion fruit one every day, I also have another 170g plain one a day. Has not stopped me or made me put on weight at all.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Unless the sugar contributes to more calories than you're willing to consume (or you have a medical reason to watch it, like diabetes), don't fret the sugar. Sugar isn't inherently good or bad, it just adds calories with few other benefits. Personally, there's enough protein and calcium in the yogurt to justify the calories from sugar to me.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily bad, but it would be a better idea to use plain with fresh fruit. However, I'd recommend honey over stevia if you're sweetening yourself. Calorie-free sweeteners make your body crave the sugar/energy it didn't get from the sweetener, so you'll want sugar later.
  • charcharhaver
    Options
    There are only 7g of sugar in a 6oz/170g serving of plain nonfat Chobani. The only ingredients are nonfat milk and active cultures, so all that sugar is coming from the milk, which contains 8g of sugar (lactose) per 170g serving. It's not added, refined sugar — it's a sugar that will easily convert to energy and burn off. The protein and other nutrients in plain Chobani is so good for you, don't worry about the sugar. But don't eat the fruit at the bottom stuff. Add your own fresh fruit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Lactose is a sugar.

I was standing in line at Publix not that long ago, and a man was whining to the cashier that he had to give up plain greek yogurt because he was going low carb or paleo or something like that to lose weight. It gave me a sad. The fruit on the bottom yogurt just adds other carbs in your diet that will be converted to energy the same way as a brown rice carb would. They just happen to be glucose, lactose, and galactose carbs. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid glucose or galactose or lactose, then pretend you're eating a more delicious form of brown rice that also gives you a nice protein punch.

Sugar isn't the devil. It is a cherub that plays happy lyre music on my tongue.
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have to send my food diary to a nurse/nutritionist everyday. Here is the information she gave me when she saw Chobani yogurt and flavored creamer in my diary:
    ~~~
    This explanation may help as to why 4 grams of sugar is the limit recommended per hour; by decreasing the amount of simple sugars we eat (milk chocolate, cookies, cakes, sugar packets, flavored creamers/yogurts), we are supporting healthy blood sugar.

In one hour, anything more than 4 grams of simple sugars can cause a spike in our blood sugar, and a build-up of grout in our brain, kidney, and coronary arteries. This is why diabetics (who are consuming too much simple sugar) are more prone to memory loss, kidney problems and heart disease.

And while sugar-free varieties have less sugar--the jury is still out. Artificial sweeteners can confuse us- our brain senses something sweet and thinks we are consuming calories, but when our body goes to break it down, there aren't any calories to take in. For some people, this might lead to overcompensating with more sweets later in the day. Knowing how you react is a detail to pay attention to.
    ~~~
    So, my take on this is, pay attention to your body. See how you react to sugar intake and adjust accordingly.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot of the Greek Yogurts are higher in sugar than regular yogurt. When I do eat Greek Yogurt I usually eat the plain kind because it has the least amount of sugar. I'll mix cucumber, lemon juice, garlic and fresh dill to make a Tzatziki Sauce that I eat with raw veggies as an afternoon snack.

Another low sugar yogurt that I eat is Dannon Light and Fit Diabetic Friendly Carb Control. It's only 45 calories and 3 carbs per serving.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot of the Greek Yogurts are higher in sugar than regular yogurt.
    I think that's a combination of two factors. One is that the yogurt is more concentrated due to the lack of whey, and therefore is more dense in every nutrient like protein. A 6oz container of Greek yogurt is more actual yogurt than a 6oz container of the regular kind. The other being that it's so bitter and chalky by itself companies often add a lot of extra sweetener to make it taste more like the regular kind.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the devil. It is a cherub that plays happy lyre music on my tongue.

Best description of sugar...EVER! I think I am gonna go eat a chobani right now even though I already housed 3 whole eggs with salsa and sour cream! (Not really...I am headed out for coffee...but when I get back...)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    so we bought quite a lot of chobani yogurt with fruit at the bottom today.
    i used to eat a small tub everyday for the protein and the calcium also because its delicious and satisfies my sweet tooth but i would throw away the fruit at the bottom because i thought all the sugar was in the fruit beneath. that was until i found out that the sugar was also in the yogurt itself - unsurprisingly since it did taste quite sweet.
    i know everyone is going to say it doesn't matter because it's simply calories in and calories out although, you do need to take into account sugar since it does quickly absorb into bloodstream and it will cause you to gain weight more easily...
    i think i will eat the no fat plain chobani and add my own fruit and stevia instead rather than eating the small fruit tubs.. hmm does anyone else eat chobani and what do you think? is it bad for weight loss?
    I doubt that this is a significant issue but yogurt is just cultured milk and any other additive is for taste. I prefer unadulterated yogurt. Oddly enough, some of the cheapest yogurt contains no additives. If you have a little time, you can make your own. I haven't yet but plan to start.