Potassium

I am having a hard time getting enough potassium. I have tried coconut water, V8 and eating fruit but not getting enough and my blood work shows it and I drink lots of water. Is it me or is this a problem for other people .Thanks for any help :O)

Replies

• I was going to post something like this too - I thought I was eating healthy, but when I looked at my potassium levels I'm under by AT LEAST 1600 mg a day if not 2000+. I'd love to know what kind of effects this can have and how to add more into my diet.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    ALL THE BANANAS!
    also maybe you have a problem absorbing it?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    This subject came up a few days ago & I thought this might help add to the abstract of info about Potassium....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1101337-how-to-take-in-more-potassium?hl=potassium&page=2#posts-17007796
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I am having a hard time getting enough potassium. I have tried coconut water, V8 and eating fruit but not getting enough and my blood work shows it and I drink lots of water. Is it me or is this a problem for other people .Thanks for any help :O)

If your blood work shows it, and you really cannot get enough through food, your doctor should be able to prescribe a supplement. I had similar issues, and my doc gave me a prescription.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I was going to post something like this too - I thought I was eating healthy, but when I looked at my potassium levels I'm under by AT LEAST 1600 mg a day if not 2000+. I'd love to know what kind of effects this can have and how to add more into my diet.

Many nutrition labels do not carry this info, so you may be getting more than you think. OP and I have both had blood and/or urine tests show that we were low.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    I know that vomiting depletes potassium, in fact it's the way arsenic works. (or so I remember from high school.)

therefore it's electrolytically affectable. So, are you eating too little salt, or drinking too much water? Are you, in short, leaching yourself of potassium?

Just putting that out there in case you're eating all the bananas and kiwifruit you can find, and getting nowhere.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes!

Most types of nuts have a lot such as pistachios.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    I have the same issue so I bought salt substitute, which is potassium chloride - nutritional potassium - and sprinkle it on my food. Plain table salt won't do it for you according to the research I did.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I have a banana a day.
    I love beets too.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    I have had the same problem and take potassium from the vitamin section at the drugstore. I take two capsules a day
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Also two good sources are tuna and tomatoes. Makes a great combo also
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Cantaloupe and avocado are high in potassium.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    chunky soup. Seriously. Sirlion burger soup.

I had some the other day and was shocked that 1.5cups gave me I think almost half my potassium.

Now mind you not all foods list it...google high potassium foods you will be surprised.

Bananas are touted as the end all be all for potassium but it's pretty far down on the list...way after potatoes and tomatoes.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Baked potatoes are yummy with a little salsa and sprinkle of cheddar. It could also be too much water intake.
  • pompoms40
    pompoms40 Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks for all the great info :o)
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    I too use to have low potassium and with MFP I put it as a value. I now get between 3500 to 4700 a day. I have an open food diary. so take a peek and see what foods are higher in potassium.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Produce, produce, produce! I can get 5,000+mg a day by eating a produce rich diet. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with potassium. So are beans and legumes. I used to have trouble meeting my goal of 4,700 mg a day but not anymore. My main sources are tomatoes, lentils, spinach, and bananas.

I would caution against potassium chloride (salt substitute). There can be very serious health problems (like death) if you consume too much. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1364/can-salt-substitute-kill-you

It's true many labels don't show potassium amounts, but also remember most Americans do not consume enough potassium. Having a salt-potassium ratio of at least 1:2 has been associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases. :smile: