0lder n00by

Options
So, I looked through the topics in the "Introduce Yourself" list of threads. Well, not all of them, but the first page of them. I'm not in my 20's, I'm in my 40's. I'm not a fitness freak, beer drinker, not training for a triathlon, haven't had bariatric surgery, don't have hypothyroidism, and God only knows what vibration training is....

I'm 46 years old and severely overweight. When I started this two days ago, I weighed in at a hefty 300 lbs. The most I've ever weighed in my life. I never made it over 200 lbs in my 20's, but once there, I gradually went up and down (mostly up) over the past 16 years. As if that isn't enough, I'm an emotional eater (wow - go figure) and menopause has kicked in (that's super special).

I can no longer be defined by my weight. Its a now or never thing. My health has to take first place now, above anything else.

If anyone wants to chat or comment or whatever, feel free. By the way, if you thought this was a post by someone from the younger generation because of the subject line, boy are you wrong. I'm a systems analyst at a college, so I'm well aware of the acronyms.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Love the first post. Welcome.
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    first of all I have to say that you have come to the right place!! MFP has helped me more than anything--not that it does the work for me...just has been such a great learning tool!!! If you stick with it, you can and will lose the weight and feel great about it! Feel free to send me a FR...I am on daily and like to support my friends on here!!
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Cute post! Good luck, and feel free to add me!
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    F.R. sent. Welcome to MFP.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    46 years old? Still sems like a nooby to me. Good luck on your journey. You are in the right place.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am 42
    and do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day, 7 days a week
    anyone can add me.
  • FindingSkinnyPaige
    Options
    Thanks and I bet it makes you sooo happy to see your ticker!! Can't wait to see mine when it looks like that :smile:
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    welcome !! you are in the right place for support, motivation and knowledge. I have learned so much in my short time here. Not to mention the encouragement is unbelievably awesome !!!

Good luck on your journey and feel free to send me a FR. I am here everyday to keep myself accountable :)
  • NYUbookworm
    Options
    I'm with ya, sister! I'm 52 and understand what it's like trying to lose weight alongside the menopause thing. I'm also working full-time and studying for my Bachelor's degree, so I'm around the young ones, as well. Welcome to MFP! Feel free to send me a friend request, if you like!
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lol I dig your humour, Skinny! ^_^

I'm definitely about 100 leagues away from being an expert, but I'll try to help you in any way I can.
    The most important advice I can give you is to not rush weight loss. I know it's hard not to cause you just want it to be over and done with, but for the sake of your body you should try not to drop more than 1kg (2.2 lbs) a week. Chances are you'll drop weight quicker initially, but it will slow down eventually and it's important not to freak out.
    What I've learned on here is that weight loss is simple, it just takes dedication.

These tips have helped me the most:

1) You can't outrun a diet. Exercising and not dieting is useless. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose.
    2) Calculate your BMR & TDEE. Once you have your TDEE, subtract about 500 calories.
    3) When you're losing weight you'll also be losing muscle, so it's important to strength train for the duration to maintain as much muscle as possible.
    4) You don't need to remove foods from your diet, you simply need to stay within the confines of your caloric goal.
    5) Don't start exercising by giving it your all, because that can lead to injury or just put you off if you think it's too hard. Start slowly. Learn to walk longer, then learn to hill walk, then jog, cycle, etc. Take it in baby steps, you shouldn't expect to have athletic stamina like Jesse Owens from the get-go.
    6) Measure in a variety of ways, not just with the scale. Weigh yourself, measure yourself (waist, chest, hips, thighs, arms), measure your body fat and take progress photos. I hate taking photos, but they're hugely important to show how far you've come. And so you can show off at the end! :bigsmile:

Finally, there's a group on here called Eat, Train, Progress run by two uber knowledgeable people. Go there. They're awesome.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Love your post! It really made me giggle :)

Well I am not in my 40's yet, (36) but my body feels much older because I didn't take good care of it when I was younger. Then 3 kids, lots of stress in my life, I got bigger than I had ever been in the last 3 yrs. It's really depressing, I can't recall a time I was under 250 except high school and I still was "fat" then. Though looking back, I am like dang I wish I was that now! I am 5'11, so sometimes hide my weight well I guess.

Anywho, I've been doing this since May, lost 32lbs and am feeling better every week about myself & my weight loss. Take the time and do it right, you've been given great advice. :) Feel free to send me a friend request, I log daily (good or bad!) and check in with friends at least every other day. Good luck in your journey!