When should I weight in!????

Options
I started monday and have been doing REALLY good on my food and working out really hard everyday... i dont want to weigh in because Im afraid it will just discourage me if i havent lost anything yet...SHould i weigh in once a week or twice? what is best!??

THANKS!

Replies

• shintowa
    Options
    This really depends on the person, and their obsessiveness. I weigh myself every morning, but only record once a week. The difference is that the everyday weigh-ins are to see if what I did the day before affected me (too much sodium, too little water, sore muscles retaining water, etc.). If you are obsessive to the point that it actually matters what the /weight/ is, though, I say once or twice a week, max.

Figure out what works for you, but remember, this is not a fast ride. The numbers should /not/ change drastically everyday, and getting yourself worked up will be worse for you in the long run.

Good luck on your journey! Congratulations for starting, that's the hardest part of the battle!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself every day (but only recording it weekly) but it stressed me out to see all of the tiny changes from day to day, so I just committed to only weighing myself once a week. Also, having something to look forward to (or dread) motivates me. :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Oh, one thing, regardless of whether you weigh yourself daily, weekly, monthly, whatever - weigh yourself around the SAME TIME of day because your weight naturally fluctuates by as much as 2 pounds throughout the day.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My wife and I weigh in on Fridays and Mondays. Fridays tell us how the week has gone. Mondays keep us honest on the weekends.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week, for your own sanity. Also make sure it's at the same time, every time. I personally usually check Monday/Thursday as soon as I wake up before I've showered, eaten or done anything, round 5:30AM.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I started monday and have been doing REALLY good on my food and working out really hard everyday... i dont want to weigh in because Im afraid it will just discourage me if i havent lost anything yet...SHould i weigh in once a week or twice? what is best!??

THANKS!

I do it once a month just for that reason I don't want to be discouraged. I've lost 18lbs because I have been focused on a lifestyle change and not the scale.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ^_^
    Generally once a week is a pretty good frame of reference - though I tend to go about a week (give or take a day or two) then weigh myself for two or three days in a row to make sure I am coming up with a pretty consistent number which I then enter in MFP.
    (I will occasionally weigh myself everyday, but when I note that I am getting a leetle too OCD about it, I try to stay away from the scales for a while!)

...and always with the weighing in in the morning...first thing - helps with consistency!

And like shintowa said, don't get too upset or frustrated if the numbers aren't showing you massive losses, (or any losses at times) - if you have a measuring tape, do the measuring section as well - as we hear over and over, muscle weighs more than fat - if you are building up more of the former, you may be much tighter and compact without noticable change in scale number (I tend to use certain articles of clothing for that as I am current;y measuring tape-deficient!)

Hope that helps!

Cheers.
    ^_^
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Im now only weighing in 2 to 3 times a month...I used to do it more, like 3 times a week, but Im now at this amount for my sanity.......I used to want to throw the scale thru the door, but then I did something better

I used my old jeans for my weight loss indicator.............Youd be shocked if you just use an old pair of jeans or a blouse in your closet, one that you can barely fit into

give yourself a few weeks, then try it on.......regardless of the scale, thats one of the best indicators I found......Good luck, well be rooting for you
  • danmullen
    Options
    Once a week for me - every Tuesday morning before work.