Tofu

Options
Hello Good People-

Could someone please school me on the Tofu Business? I like eat, I want to cook it. I tried TWICE and it is still too soft.. I don't get what I'm doing wrong here. I mean it's the firm tofu, I let it it in the refrigerator over night to get the water out of it, and still it just SUCKS! Help...I want it nice and crisp like I had it before from some restaurant..

Help Help....:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• sarakenna1
    Options
    To get it crisp you need to fry it. Probably not the best idea for your diet... Personally I like it sautéed. Cut it into one inch slabs, set it on some paper towels, then set a plate on top. Let it sit like this for an hour or so to let it drain. Then cut it into cubes and sauté it on high heat for a few minutes in vegetable oil. I bet if you eat it like this a few times you will get used to its texture.
  • IHaveToMuchSexy
    Options
    Yeah, the frying business I'm trying to stay away from.. Not good at all for the diet at all...lol.. So that's how they get it crispy.. Well I'll be trying your suggestion, I mean if I can get used to nasty azz Greek plain yogurt, I can eat the tofu soft.. Lmaoffff..:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks gurly for the info! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Toss it in corsh starch and then fry it. It really doesn't absorb much of the fat, but will make it nice and crispy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's not a whole lot you can do about it, tofu just sucks. There's no reason to eat it if you don't like it. I never touch the stuff...
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    TOFU is nice for vegetarians lol ...im vegetarian so i eat Tofu and normally mum buys extra firm tofu but recently we bought hard tofu. I think you will have more success with that. You can buy it from asian grocerys for cheaper and a lot more.

Unfortunately mum cuts it in to cubes and frys it but im sure a piece or two wont hurt your diet as long as you account for it ^_*

All the best!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I make some bomb-*kitten* tofu. Here's my method... ;)

(also ignore the crap that tofu sucks... if you've had bad tofu whoever made it had no idea what they were doing)

Okay, so take out the block of tofu that's likely packed in water and set it on TWO kitchen towels. You can use like 6-10 paper towels if you dont have kitchen towels.

Set two more kitchen towels on top (or paper towels) and then set a frying pan with as much canned goods or heavy stuff as you can find.

Leave it there for roughly 30 minutes. You will be pressing out a SIGNIFICANT amount of water and you'll be left with a block of tofu about 1/2 the size.

Once it's been pressed and much smaller cut it into cubes or triangles. Turn your pan on HIGH HEAT and do not add any oil or anything to the pan. (This is super important!)

You're going to "dry fry" it on each side for roughly 4/5 minutes until its golden brown and crispy. You can add some salt and pepper while it's cooking but the goal it to press the tofu into the pan and squeeze out as much water as possible.

Once it's brown and crispy take it out of the pan and set it in a bowl. DRIZZLE it with teriyaki/whatever marinade you want. Let it sit in the marinade (room temperature) for around 30 minutes. I usually take this time to stir fry some veggies/rice. Once the veggies/whatever is done add the tofu back to the pan and heat through.

BAM! deliciousness. ;)
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Yum, I'm going to try this!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I actually found a video on youtube using a similar method, rofl. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gmSZK-IIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yGAwez_Nc
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I make some bomb-*kitten* tofu. Here's my method... ;)

(also ignore the crap that tofu sucks... if you've had bad tofu whoever made it had no idea what they were doing)

Okay, so take out the block of tofu that's likely packed in water and set it on TWO kitchen towels. You can use like 6-10 paper towels if you dont have kitchen towels.

Set two more kitchen towels on top (or paper towels) and then set a frying pan with as much canned goods or heavy stuff as you can find.

Leave it there for roughly 30 minutes. You will be pressing out a SIGNIFICANT amount of water and you'll be left with a block of tofu about 1/2 the size.

Once it's been pressed and much smaller cut it into cubes or triangles. Turn your pan on HIGH HEAT and do not add any oil or anything to the pan. (This is super important!)

You're going to "dry fry" it on each side for roughly 4/5 minutes until its golden brown and crispy. You can add some salt and pepper while it's cooking but the goal it to press the tofu into the pan and squeeze out as much water as possible.

Once it's brown and crispy take it out of the pan and set it in a bowl. DRIZZLE it with teriyaki/whatever marinade you want. Let it sit in the marinade (room temperature) for around 30 minutes. I usually take this time to stir fry some veggies/rice. Once the veggies/whatever is done add the tofu back to the pan and heat through.

BAM! deliciousness. ;)

THANK YOU