Money's tight. As always. :P

Options
I just want to gauge a response from the general MFP community. I hope this was the right spot to post the question. It does relate to my motivation and support team. I'm just really torn between the two choices.

I just started going back to school, after 7 years away from it. I want to be a teacher. I can afford 2 (maybe 3) classes next semester. I am torn between taking only 1 class and joining a gym (with a personal trainer a few days a week) OR just keep doing what I'm doing and take my 3 classes so I can finish school faster.

Background -- I have stalled (from lack of self control, going to be truthful) for about 4 months. I've been back and forth from 250-270 in those 4 months. My end goal is 190--not super thin, just not obese. I'm losing weight so I can feel healthier when we have a child. I'm 31 AND obese--since I can't turn back time, I have to eliminate the threat the weight will put on a pregnancy. I am also going back to school so we can have a better life. My current job is great, but there isn't any chance I'd be making more money or getting promoted. I have to take 10 classes to graduate.

The basic goal is to lose weight, get knocked up, pop out a few little gremlins (lolz) finish school, & have better life.

Replies

• pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the money woes. For me, I still can't afford a gym, so I have to improvise.

Will a gym really give you the motivation to lose the weight? Simply having the membership never kept me going in the past. Instead, I turned to jogging, DVDs, and sometimes I splurge and purchase single Zumba classes at local dance studios.

There are always other options!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You don't need to join a gym or a personal trainer to lose weight. YOu can do that by yourself and if you want the "gremlins" you will do it.

But you can't get a better job without the education.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Education! You can workout anywhere for free
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Education always comes first. Do some research on the school, most of them have a gym you can go to for free with a student ID, some of them even offer free Zumba or yoga classes.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Look at other options to keep you motivated like local community classes. As stated before gym membership alone cannot force you to go but if you need the boost a class where people know your name and will wonder why you didn't come may keep you going. Also a lot cheaper. Good Luck
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Maybe I believe that if I joined a gym, and actually had to shell out that $ every month for the membership, it wouldn't be so easy to say, "Oh, I'll exercise tomorrow." <--- I've lost the motivation lately. I have weights, a bike, an elliptical (a gift from my dear mom) and a ton of wii exercise games (from my love).

I suppose the better question should have been how do I motivate myself? And, my first gut response was: a gym with a screaming trainer.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Never spend money on something you can get for free. The only way I might join a gym in the future is if I get in to lifting, but I'm just as likely to buy a home weight set as get a gym membership if it comes to that. Save your money.
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options
    How tall are you?

5' 4"

I am assuming you are asking because of my weight goal of 190?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I went back to school about your age with kiddos at home - school work, etc and young kids don't mix. If you want to have those babes soon, I'd suggest getting school over with and get into that teaching job and get all your benefits in line, etc. Why not do a quick workout dvd in the morning before school? 20 or 30 minutes is a piece of cake.
  • mush_mellow
    mush_mellow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you can handle the full time schooling schedule, then get it over with, and finish!

You only have 10 classes left! That's only 2 semesters! Less than a year! Do you have support at home? Does your school have a gym? Back when I was in school, all students had a free membership to our University's gym as long as you had half time enrollment. In reality it's more expensive to spread out schooling... as the information you've obtained changes, or becomes dated, which means your degree becomes less valuable from an employer's view point. The cost of housing will always be there, on top of your schooling expenses - and going to school limits your ability to work more (if you wanted to) which equals less money now and less money in the future.

Your current job may not be able to pay you more once you obtain your degree, but you'll open other doors for better jobs - and passing an opportunity for a higher paying job now (because you don't have the degree) will equals less money in the long run. Wouldn't you want to be able to take on a better paying job sooner then later?

I work in higher education, and I am a first generation college graduate in my family. If I would have finished my degree sooner in life, I would have most likely been further in my career. I understand that you have family obligations, but if you are able to handle the work load, I'd say just do it! And look into that gym thing with your University.

Good Luck!
  • mush_mellow
    mush_mellow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! When I was in college I also rented home work out DVD from my local library (it's free)! This gave me something to do, other then homework, and without spending any money!
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does the college you're attending have a gym? If so, even enrolling in 1 class should get you an ID that will let you have access to it. For the record, I'm in the 3 classes camp with most of the other posters. Get school done before you have kids if you can. Less stress all around.

If your school doesn't have a gym, my next suggestion would be to get a DVD set like Body Revolution, which is a 3 month program with 15 separate workouts that are all a half an hour. It does cost about $80, but you'll have it at your fingertips forever, and it's only 30 minutes. I find it hard to argue myself out of a short workout, which is why I've found the DVDs so effective.

I'm also losing weight before having kids (had a miscarriage in June and am not medically allowed to try again until January). Good luck!!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym in I don't know how long. My vote is put the money toward the education! There is a lot of support on here and maybe locally. I work out 6 days a week, not in a gym. I try new things and some of them I like and others not so much. Won't know until you try it! I also try and get creative with my food, just because it's healthy doesn't mean it has to taste bad.

You can do it!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You don't need to join a gym to lose weight. Weight loss in and of itself has very little to do with losing weight. Eating appropriately is what causes you to lose or gain weight. Exercise can give you a few extra calories that you can eat in a given day, but it's what you put in your mouth that decides your waistline.

For general exercise, instead of joining a gym you can...

Walk
    Run
    Ride a bike
    Body exercises
    Exercise videos
    Buy a craigslist squat rack (and use it)
    More stuff...
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOURSELF!!! Teehee :P

I think we need to start motivating each other - be willing to show many minutes/calories we burned. Then we can yell at each other!
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Education.
    As many have said, you can exercise for free -- online free videos (fitnessblender.com) or youtube. Walking, running etc.

For motivation, join a group on here with accountability and support! But even better: can you find a friend or acquaintance to workout with? Knowing someone is waiting for you at X corner for a walk will get you there. Friends and I have also stayed home to do an exercise video in our own homes but knowing that we're doing it at the same time is great for motivation -- calling/texting before and after.

You've committed to improving your education... you can meet this goal too, I know it.
  • cpede
    cpede Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above posts about putting money towards the education and finding a free gym at school or just doing cheap exercises (e.g. walking, running). Here's a thought: pay yourself what you would have spent on a gym membership at the end of the month, but only if you've earned it by working out that month (or weekly, or whatever). Then, after a few months (or whatever time you set), treat yourself with that money to new clothes, or a vacation, or whatever. Even if you can only afford $20/month, it would add up quickly and still have the money factor to motivate you. Good luck!
  • LassoOfTruth
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I think the consensus is go to school, and exercise with the tools I have at home. No need to spend more money, I should just utilize what I have. I really do need to keep my motivation alive. I tend to be an all or nothing type of broad. So, when I exercise... I'm ALL IN. I can bang out 1000 calorie burn a day for two weeks... and then I burn out. That is part of my issue as well. I am constantly fighting for balance. But, again... THANK YOU so much for taking the time to weigh in on the issue. It definitely cleared up a lot of problematic thoughts I was having.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Depends if you are going work full time then take only one class, so you can have a life. If youre just doing school then do school and walk/jog for your exercise.

Oh yeah and if you are at school, especially any major university, you'll have access to a gym, duh! That's what I would do.