"You are not eating enough"

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There could be a couple reasons... 1. They don't spread there meals out. You need to eat about 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. If you wait to eat until you're hungry, you're body goes into starvation mode and with keep everything and store it as fat because it thinks that its not going to eat again for awhile. If that makes any sense :) 2. Exercise! Just because you are on a low calorie diet, doesn't mean you are automatically going to lose weight. If you don't get up and move you're metabolism is going to stay low and not burn any fat. If you eat throughout the whole day, healthy!, and go for a walk or something, I don't see any reason someone should be gaining weight. I hope this helped and I did't bebble too much lol

1. No ...1 meal, 5 meals ... it doesn't matter. Starvation mode .....waaaaay over blown (several months, sure I believe it's possible, 1 day ...no way). But you are right, if you wait too long and are famished, there might be a tendency to over eat

2. No ..... a low calorie diet is all you need to lose weight. Exercise is for FITNESS. Everyone who is capable (of exercise) should exercise while dieting. Resistance training will help you maintain muscle mass.
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There could be a couple reasons... 1. They don't spread there meals out. You need to eat about 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. If you wait to eat until you're hungry, you're body goes into starvation mode and with keep everything and store it as fat because it thinks that its not going to eat again for awhile. If that makes any sense :) 2. Exercise! Just because you are on a low calorie diet, doesn't mean you are automatically going to lose weight. If you don't get up and move you're metabolism is going to stay low and not burn any fat. If you eat throughout the whole day, healthy!, and go for a walk or something, I don't see any reason someone should be gaining weight. I hope this helped and I did't bebble too much lol

Nope, none of that is true. But you should still exercise!!

Agreed. It's good advise to eat regularly and exercise, but the above is not necessarily true. Because if you spread your meals out, you are likely to be less hungry, and less likely to suddenly eat too much. Not being hungry helps in weight loss! Exercising either slightly increases your deficit or allows you to eat that bit extra. Or, if you cheat in your logging, it may be just the calories you need to keep the original deficit.

But.. even if you were to eat just once a day (and manage that somehow) and never exercise, but still keep to the calorie goal / deficit. You will still lose weight. Eating once a day does not put you in starvation mode.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The main problem is really that when you start to eat below your BMR, your brain cannot convert fat stores into energy, and it uses a lot of calories everyday. So where does it get it's energy from? Your lean muscle mass.

While losing *some* muscle is normal in the weight loss process, under feeding can lead to a large amount lost. When you lose a lot of lean muscle mass, your metabolism suffers, you then maintain your new weight on much fewer calories than a normal person of the same height and weight.

Just be aware that just because the scale says you're losing weight, it doesn't mean it's fat.

It's really heartbreaking when people have to come back for support after reaching their goal weights from starving themselves, only to have to put weight back on to repair their poor bodies.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    The term starvation mode should be crossed out and replaced with adaptive thermogenisis. Which has already been defined here, occurs when your body holds onto everything it gets due to long periods of time on not enough calories. I can't define how long the periods of time are or what is not enough calories because there are too many variables for each individual - sex, age, weight, height, history, etc.

I can speak from personal experience where I didn't gain at 1200 calories but I quit losing and had some other unpleasant side effects because my body couldn't keep up with the demands I was putting on it. Over a couple of months I slowly added calories and the weight started dropping off again. I also religiously weigh and measure all of my food, even when I do occassionally binge I count that. But since I started eating right for me I haven't had any binging issues either.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There could be a couple reasons... 1. They don't spread there meals out. You need to eat about 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. If you wait to eat until you're hungry, you're body goes into starvation mode and with keep everything and store it as fat because it thinks that its not going to eat again for awhile. If that makes any sense :)

My original post was kind of pointed at advice like this.. Starvation mode by just waiting until you are hungry to eat? Even in my limited knowledge , I KNOW this is way off base. Sorry if this sounds bad, but just throwing out misinformation like this without any merit behind it is the worst part about trying to slogging thru the information around here. :(

Im really sorry, but I dont want people freaking out over having a hunger pang. I know your heart is in the right place, but please try to give advice from a strong base of knowledge.

I think this is where the "You arent eating enough" brigade comes from after a poster has gained 1 pound last week. Too much misinformation being passed without understanding it or verifying fact from myth.

I know everyone wants to help each other.. but I wish there was a way to pinpoint the really knowledgeable people from the people just repeating what they might have read once. :(

By the way.. YES.. exercise is good.. I think we all know that one to be a fact. :) (as long as you arent medically restricted from it)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Incorrect. Especially "Just because you are on a low calorie diet, doesn't mean you are automatically going to lose weight". Yes, actually if you eat less calories than you need to maintain your weight, you will lose. Exercise enhances weight loss and shapes your body.
    (Points down to ticker) I didn't do much exercise to lose that weight. Let's be honest...ZERO. I was able to get outside more during summer but a majority of that weight loss was actually BEFORE spring came this year.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

So much wrong it hurts to read, meal timings have zero affect on weight lost, I could have all my 1900 calories in one meal if I wanted to and I would still lose the same. The only advantage of eating regularly for SOME people it avoids them from being hungry all the time so they will less likely grab something that doesn't fit into their allowence of calories. You're body will not go into starvation mode after a few hours of not eating, if that was true every time we went to sleep we would all be in starvation mode.

You can lose weight without doing any exercise whats so ever, exercise is fitness, increase strength, endurance etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There could be a couple reasons... 1. They don't spread there meals out. You need to eat about 5-6 times a day. 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. If you wait to eat until you're hungry, you're body goes into starvation mode and with keep everything and store it as fat because it thinks that its not going to eat again for awhile. If that makes any sense :)

My original post was kind of pointed at advice like this.. Starvation mode by just waiting until you are hungry to eat? Even in my limited knowledge , I KNOW this is way off base. Sorry if this sounds bad, but just throwing out misinformation like this without any merit behind it is the worst part about trying to slogging thru the information around here. :(

Im really sorry, but I dont want people freaking out over having a hunger pang. I know your heart is in the right place, but please try to give advice from a strong base of knowledge.

I think this is where the "You arent eating enough" brigade comes from after a poster has gained 1 pound last week. Too much misinformation being passed without understanding it or verifying fact from myth.

I know everyone wants to help each other.. but I wish there was a way to pinpoint the really knowledgeable people from the people just repeating what they might have read once. :(

By the way.. YES.. exercise is good.. I think we all know that one to be a fact. :) (as long as you arent medically restricted from it)

Agreed...I saw a post where the OP was complaining about not losing and one of the responses was no fats/oil limit protien etc...I was like really????? The misinformation here is rampant and I like you have limited knowledge myself but have friend people and join groups who do have the knowledge and I listen to them...ie Sara and Sidesteel...who posted here anyway.
  • Angie2822
    Angie2822 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Your BMR - the amount of calories a day your body needs to live. If you consume less than your BMR, your body will start conserving energy thus lowering your BMR (and damaging your body in the process). At that point, the same calories you were consuming becomes less of a defict and can actually become a positive number.
  • Fedup23
    Options
    Your BMR - the amount of calories a day your body needs to live. If you consume less than your BMR, your body will start conserving energy thus lowering your BMR (and damaging your body in the process). At that point, the same calories you were consuming becomes less of a defict and can actually become a positive number.

I understand that to be the LONG term danger.. but people who havent lost weight in 2 weeks are certainly not all in this "starvation mode" , they cant be, it doesnt make sense.. but sure as the sun rises.. everyone that posts that they have gained weight last week while eating at a deficit are bombarded by "you arent eating enough".

I just wanted to be clear in my mind that this wasnt the case.

I guess what I have learned is that ANY question will be bombarded by misinformation. LOL.. oh well. :)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    2. No ..... a low calorie diet is all you need to lose weight. Exercise is for FITNESS. Everyone who is capable (of exercise) should exercise while dieting. Resistance training will help you maintain muscle mass.

Yep. Also known as:

1. Lose weight in the kitchen, gain muscle in the gym.

Or

2. You can't outrun a bad diet.
  • lafoto13
    lafoto13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people eat too little, they don't have the energy to exercise much or at all. When they begin eating enough to fuel harder workouts, the overall calorie deficit including diet and exercise increases.

Sometimes people on low-calorie diets can't take it anymore and binge. When this happens enough times, it creates an overall calorie surplus leading to weight gain even when they're sticking to low calories some days. If they increase their calories to a more reasonable level that is still at a small deficit, they will no longer feel compelled to binge, will really stick to the recommended calories every day, and will gradually lose weight.

I think those are the most common reasons that eating more works. The stuff about screwing up your metabolism by not eating enough is largely overblown, unless people are literally starving themselves for days in a row.

I think you are so right!! My calories have been too low for years. I just recently --a few weeks ago-- increased my calories. I gained a bit but most of the time I feel better. More in control. This morning was my first loss so I feel like we're going in the right direction.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Basically you have a BMR - the amount of calories a day your body needs to live. If you consume less than your BMR, your body will start conserving energy thus lowering your BMR (and damaging your body in the process). At that point, the same calories you were consuming becomes less of a defict and can actually become a positive number.

In a nutshell.

No. No. No. What are you smoking? If this were true then your body has defied all physics and you should report to your closest government office because you have just created a breakthrough in the renewable energy crisis.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    people who havent lost weight in 2 weeks are certainly not all in this "starvation mode" , they cant be, it doesnt make sense.. but sure as the sun rises.. everyone that posts that they have gained weight last week while eating at a deficit are bombarded by "you arent eating enough".

Oh no... THEY'RE eating enough. In fact, they're eating too much! They don't get any 'you need to eat more' comments. Definitely not.

Their problem is a failure to log the pizza and the Ben and Jerrys in their food diary. Or they're not bothering to weigh stuff.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    people who havent lost weight in 2 weeks are certainly not all in this "starvation mode" , they cant be, it doesnt make sense.. but sure as the sun rises.. everyone that posts that they have gained weight last week while eating at a deficit are bombarded by "you arent eating enough".

Oh no... THEY'RE eating enough. In fact, they're eating too much! They don't get any 'you need no eat more' comments. Definitely not.

Their problem is a failure to log the pizza and the Ben and Jerrys in their food diary. Or they're not bothering to weigh stuff.

Or they are recording a calorie burn of 1600 for walking their dog around the block plus preparing their dinner. This is the most common thing that drives me freaking insane.
  • Fedup23
    Options

Oh no... THEY'RE eating enough. In fact, they're eating too much! They don't get any 'you need no eat more' comments. Definitely not.

Or they are recording a calorie burn of 1600 for walking their dog around the block plus preparing their dinner. This is the most common thing that drives me freaking insane.

Based on your avatars, you have no idea what you are talking about. /dismiss

LOL J/K
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No. THIS is the most commonly spread misinformation that drives me crazy.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of BMR and what it is, thinking there's a such thing as 'starvation mode' that makes you magically gain weight with inadequate food, paired with assuming the person asking the question is properly tracking calories and exerting him/herself when exercising.

Really, if someone is having trouble losing weight there is a really good chance they are over-estimating their workout effectiveness and under-estimating calorie intake.

Exercise wise, if you're the type of person who is reading a magazine while sitting on a stationary bike/elliptical for 30 min in the mythical 'fat burning' heartrate zone, you shouldn't be eating those exercise calories back because you're lucky if you burned 100 calories doing that.

As for the food part, I don't have the link, but someone posted a study where even the most meticulous people under-estimated calorie intake by 10-20%, and less meticulous people were as much as 50% under.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have to ask this question of people that have been here a long time. I see in thread after thread. Poster says they are gaining weight.. but only eat 1200 cals a day (or some other variation of low calories). Then we get a run of people telling them they arent eating enough. Is this truly a symptom of not eating enough?.. you GAIN weight? I guess I cant wrap my head around it.

The reason you can't wrap your head around it is because it's completely non-sensical. People are looking for an answer they like, but it's nonsense. If you don't believe me, just google pictures of holocaust survivors - very low calorie diets absolutely, guaranteed, 100% WILL make you lose weight, and fast.

If you want something less drastic, watch a few episodes of "Naked & Afraid". Those people are getting maybe 200-300 calories a day, and are dropping 1-2 pounds of weight *per day*.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have to ask this question of people that have been here a long time. I see in thread after thread. Poster says they are gaining weight.. but only eat 1200 cals a day (or some other variation of low calories). Then we get a run of people telling them they arent eating enough. Is this truly a symptom of not eating enough?.. you GAIN weight? I guess I cant wrap my head around it.

The reason you can't wrap your head around it is because it's completely non-sensical. People are looking for an answer they like, but it's nonsense. If you don't believe me, just google pictures of holocaust survivors - very low calorie diets absolutely, guaranteed, 100% WILL make you lose weight, and fast.

If you want something less drastic, watch a few episodes of "Naked & Afraid". Those people are getting maybe 200-300 calories a day, and are dropping 1-2 pounds of weight *per day*.

Absolutely!
    If starvation mode were real, starving African children and anorexics would all be fat.

It's an accountability issue. Most people won't take personal responsibility for their own actions, couple with the "I want results now mentality" it adds up to "OMG i'm doing what I'm supposed to be, and it's not working" excuse train.
    Most real data points out that adaptive metabolism (IE what MOST people think is starvation mode) is <5%, and that's after MONTHS of eating at a severe deficit.