Help with determining my pace...

Options
Good morning!

I currently do Functional Interval Training at my gym which involves intervals of running/jogging and strength training. My current comfortable pace is around 5.0 and my sprinting pace is 5.6 (which is fast for me, I'm brand new to running!). I am going to start the Couch to 5k program and do it outside to make it more realistic than on a treadmill but want to be very careful about what pace I am taking.

How do you determine your pace when running outside? I want to know while I'm running as opposed to calculating it after the fact.

Thanks!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question. You want to calculate run pace WHILE running? The easiest way is to get a GPS device or download a running app that will do it for you. Otherwise you can do it on the fly... distance divided by time.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I started running outside versus the treadmill, I just tried to go at my "forever" pace...if you're going too fast, you'll notice. Your breathing won't be regular and you won't be able to do it for very long. Just start slow, take your distance divided by time after you're finished. If you want running to work for you, you really need to just start slow. :)

Also, you know what it feels like when you're running on the treadmill at that pace. Just try to get that feel while you're running outside and you'll be fine. I find I run a bit faster outside than on the treadmill, but for me that's a bonus!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I use the Runkeeper app on my phone and it tells me the time, distance and pace every 1/4 mile. You could use something like that. It's not continuous, unless you hold it in your hand and look at it frequently to see your pace, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure if any of the apps will report on pace more frequently than 1/4 mile splits.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I second the runkeeper app - love it

my advice though, don't worry about your pace for now, just go run and get a feel for it outside and build up your distance, once you can maintain your running for a distance you like - say 5k - then start working on your pace, you will probably need to start a little slower than you were on the treadmill, its a little harder outside
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I don't get hung up on a pace unless that particular run dictates that I do, or I have a pace in mind for a race. Your daily training runs should be done at a slow pace. If you can't carry a conversation, you're going too fast. Once you go out a few times and find this comfort zone, then you'll know your pace for optimal aerobic conditioning and can repeat it over and over for zillions of miles until you get awesome :)
  • laurabeth22
    laurabeth22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your pace if you're just starting out. Focus more on your form. Running outside is drastically different than running on a treadmill! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and walk if you need to... your body will tell you when your pace is too fast. Good luck and happy running. :)
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your comfortable pace is 5mph? Wow, that seems fast. I can barely do 4.3 for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

I agree with others that said don't worry about pace at this point. Just find a comfortable speed and take it from there.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? When I train I only focus on that. When I am supposed to be putting in a 75% effort I know what my heart rate should be and keep it there. I can always figure out the pace after I did my run.

Good luck to you on your new running endevour! Don't forget to get fitted for running shoes at an actual running store. That will help tremendously in terms of avoiding running injuries.