Headaches/migraines

Options
How do you deal with these when you have them?
How do you get the motivation to exercise with a headache when you just want to lie in a dark room?
I always get headaches especially when I start eating healthier (as I eat a lot less than when i'm eating crap) I drink plenty so it isn't that.
It doesn't always work if I take something for a headache so what do you do? Do you take the day off of exercising? what if it lasts more than one day? Do you just get on with it and exercise anyway?
Thanks

Replies

• vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I get migraines, and headaches ranging from annoying to want-to-puke.
    When it's 9/10 bad, I cant go to the gym. Sometimes, it helps, though.
    I go to the gym & judge how bad they are. If I get there and its mild, I try to work out anyway. If it;'s worse, I do a light workout (stationary bike, some floor work).
    I take Aleve for my headaches, its the only thing that helps. It rarely lasts over a day, though.
  • cindyroberto
    cindyroberto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually have to take meds for my migraines and I get em ALOT!!! It really depends...trying walking on tredmill in the gym or walking outside w sunglasses...it seems that the fresh air tends to help me sometimes. Again it depends if its one of those that I have to hide under covers w earmuffs and sleep....then not exercising one day has been ok w me. (just watch what you eat those days especially):smile:
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :-)
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would stick to low impact things like swimming, walking or possibly yoga. I once tried to run off a migraine and every step made me want to puke.

More importantly though, I would try and find the cause of your headaches, lack of sleep and stress cause mine, so I make sure I get enough sleep. Also contraceptive pills can cause them, when I took Yasmin I had several migraines a week, but reduced dramatically when I stopped taking it.

Hope you manage to find a way to reduce them!
  • JustSammi
    Options
    Chronic migraine sufferer here! To be honest I wouldn't work out at all with a migraine, I'm simply not well enough and the only thing that can fix them is drugs and time.

I've heard a lot of people get headaches when they start a diet though, maybe it's some sort of withdrawal from sugar? Can't be sure though as I've never experienced it myself.
  • Hollyhocks89
    Hollyhocks89 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice addmorecloud I will try something like swimming that sounds nice
  • cpede
    cpede Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a migraine sufferer also. I can't do anything much less work out when I have one since I get blind spots and can't see out of my right eye. For the most part, I have no idea what causes my migraines with one exception. I get exercise-induced migraines. It's always when I over do it and don't drink enough water. So, at least I can do something about that. In general, a nap is the only thing that never fails to make my migraine go away, but here's what I do when I first get my blind spots and aura: 4 ibuprofen (800 mg total), a banana, and a coke zero. That covers most bases when it comes to over the counter migraine treatment: an antiinflammatory, potassium, and caffeine. Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It depends on the severity of the headache for me. If it's a full blown migraine I'm not working out. Some of the milder headaches will actually go away for me if I do a mild exercise. I don't get as many headaches since I've figured out some of the things I can't eat. My 13 year old son and my oldest daughter used to get migraines often until we went gluten free. They were so bad for both of them they'd often throw up. After we went gluten free they all but went away. My son was getting them every Monday-Tuesday for awhile until I pointed out that he was eating gluten at church on Sunday and would wake up with a migraine on Monday or Tuesday. He stopped sneaking gluten at church and hasn't had a migraine since.

All that rambling to say, you might want to think about what you're eating because it could be the cause of your headaches.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines and generally depending on how bad the headache is, I will just take a day off.

This usually doesn't bother me because when my migraines are bad enough to skip the workout, I usually feel too sick to eat much of anything so it evens out in the end.

If it's just a mild headache and I don't have any sensitivity to light and sound, I usually try to work out as normal--most of the time working out doesn't make my headache any worse so if I can function normally (i.e. if I feel okay enough to sit on the couch and watch TV) I just go for it.
  • bergamese
    bergamese Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Some days my migraines are so bad I can't get out of bed, let alone exercise. Listen to your body, treat yourself gently until the pain is past.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I get chronic migraines (usually 20-25 days per month). I generally do workout when I have them. It sucks, but I don't really have a choice. I'm stuck with this condition, so I have to do the best I can to work around it. If I have a bad month, and don't work out on migraine days...that leaves me working out maybe 5 days out of the month. So unless it's a really bad, puking migraine, I suck it up and do it anyway. Sometimes it makes the migraine go away or less intense, sometimes it makes it worse. Mine are the most intense from 12:30PM till around 7:30 or 8PM. Most of the time I work out after 8PM. It's not ideal, but I do what I have to do.

I recently got botox for migraines....still waiting to see if it's going to help or not. It's supposed to take a few weeks to see any improvement. People seem to have good luck with this procedure, so if your insurance covers it, that is something to look into. (Although getting 30ish shots all over my head was one of the most awful experiences ever...if it works it'll be worth it.)
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You say you get them when you eat healthier? Keep a food diary. That may help you figure out your trigger. My trigger is MSG. It's in salad dressings, honey roasted peanuts, vegetable bullion cubes, marinades, chips, etc., etc., etc. If you can avoid getting migraines, that's the way to go.

My cure is caffeine and sleep. I also take Vitamin B complex because people with migraines are sometimes Vitamin B deficient. But sleep is my only cure. The day after a migraine, I will often drink at least 1 redbull to bring me back to life.

I hope you feel better! I, too, was in misery and getting CT scans until I figured out my migraine trigger. Hang in there! :(
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A lot of migraine sufferers are also magnesium deficient, you can try a supplement for that and see if it works, too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Chronic migraine sufferer here! To be honest I wouldn't work out at all with a migraine, I'm simply not well enough and the only thing that can fix them is drugs and time.

I've heard a lot of people get headaches when they start a diet though, maybe it's some sort of withdrawal from sugar? Can't be sure though as I've never experienced it myself.

Same here, when I have a "serious" migraine there is no way I'd even think of doing anything like working out, or going outside (sunlight really makes it bad for me), or even being on the Internet or watching TV, reading, etc...is way way way too painful. Fortunately, I only seem to get them once a year if that but no way would I work out.
  • Bharrell414
    Bharrell414 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from headaches/migraines nearly my whole life. For the most part I try to change my diet based on my day. I try to avoid sugars on days where my head is the worst, and try to consume caffeine as soon as possible (this combined with pain relievers is my life saver). I've also discovered that carbs worsen my symptoms
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have a migraine (and take medication for it) you SHOULD NOT work out. I take Relpax for migraines and was told by my doctor that the medicine actually restricts the bloodflow to your brain and working out could cause a stroke. Yikes!
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you have a migraine (and take medication for it) you SHOULD NOT work out. I take Relpax for migraines and was told by my doctor that the medicine actually restricts the bloodflow to your brain and working out could cause a stroke. Yikes!

I also take Relpax for my migraines. Triptans are the only meds that work for me & of those I've tried, Relpax is the quickest acting & longest lasting. I don't workout when I have a migraine. It's hard enough to get out of bed with them, so jostling myself around would not be good, & the Relpax sucks any semblance of energy out of me. If I just have a headache, I'll do very light cardio or a short pilates video.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    pound down the whiskey
  • exubesq
    Options
    word to the wise. if you are taking a prescription migraine med that is a vasoconstrictor - DO NOT also take Advil COld and Sinus or anything else OTC that contains pseudophedrine. I did and I had a stroke as a result. Lost peripheral vision in my left eye and can't drive. So PLEASE don't!
  • BooBoo1264
    Options
    How do you deal with these when you have them?
    How do you get the motivation to exercise with a headache when you just want to lie in a dark room?
    I always get headaches especially when I start eating healthier (as I eat a lot less than when i'm eating crap) I drink plenty so it isn't that.
    It doesn't always work if I take something for a headache so what do you do? Do you take the day off of exercising? what if it lasts more than one day? Do you just get on with it and exercise anyway?
    Thanks

I used to get them 5 to 6 times a month. Keeping this food journal should help you a bit. Mark the days that you have a migraine. Some foods are instantly a trigger. Avoid foods with MSG. I even found that soda and licorice were a trigger for me. Two of my fav things!

Could be your body going into a bit of shock if you're not slowly going off things like caffeine and sugar.

I take Relpax and Maxalt to help on my days. Both are fast acting. Just dont mix them!

Also something ive learned that helps. Put your hands and feet in warm water while having an ice pack on the back of your neck. It helps the blood flow and also stops the nauseousness. :)