How long until the pain from bike riding goes away?

Options
How long until the pain from bike riding goes away? I rode for about 8 minutes around 11 a.m., and lowered the seat so that it wasn't painful. But, at 8 p.m., when I was getting ready to ride again, it was hard to sit down, but I shifted around a bit to find a more comfortable position. It was still uncomfortable, though. So, how long does the pain normally last? Is it always a bit uncomfortable?

Replies

• AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    if you're talking about pain in your rear, that goes away 1 of 2 ways: 1) saddle time, 2) equipment.

Unfortunately there's no "2 weeks" answer to the saddle time. There are too many factors. You're using muscles you don't normally use (if you're new to biking), using them in different ways. Just like any activity, build up to it.

By equipment I mean either riding shorts with a pad or a different seat. Go to a real bike shop and ask about seats shaped for women (they'll have a cutout in the 'nose' area of the seat to take pressure off your lady-bits). Make sure when you on the saddle you're actually using your 'sitting bones.' A good bike shop will have a measuring device to get a saddle that fits you.

good luck.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most bikes come off the shelf with mens saddles (sexist I know) make sure you have a womans saddle as a womans pelvis is wider it needs to be supported differently. If you have one go to a local (not chain) bike shop and they should be able to advise on possible saddle choice.

Also be careful about lowering your saddle as that can then cause knee problems so make sure your saddle height is set up correctly
  • anji888
    Options
    I just started riding again this summer. There was a period of time that I was so uncomfortable that I couldn't stand it and had to take a couple of days off. I would suggest that you start with a pair of bike shorts and then start the search for a women's saddle. I decided to search for a saddle so that I wouldn't need padded shorts (I ride so much I would have to do laundry every day). Now I am wishing that I had bought at least one pair of shorts.

I am on my third seat. I bought my bike on June 8th. The first women's saddle I bought felt great, at first. Unfortunately, by the time that I finished my 22 mile ride (pretty typical daily distance for me), I thought I was going to die. Although it took the pain out of my meaty bits, I kept feeling like I was sliding off of the seat. I literally wore a spot raw on my bottom from the constant adjustment of my position. I wasn't able to make peace with that seat. I bought a women's tri seat and although it is better than my first seat and better on my sit bones than my second seat, it still completely suffocates my meaty bits.

When you go to the bike shop, see if there are seats that you can demo or try. Also, see if they can install it for you cheap/free. I made the mistake of doing it myself (on all seats) and struggled quite a bit to get the right position. If they don't have demo seats, find out what their return policy is. You don't want to be stuck with a seat that you know you'll never use again.

Sorry to be so long winded. This post was near and dear to my heart after spending over 900 miles in the saddle this summer. I literally can feel your pain. Ha ha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing proper cycling equipment? Also, just time in the saddle...
  • MedicalAsstChic
    Options
    it took me about a week but I didn't stop I rode everyday and still ride about 6 days a week... this has helped me loose weight and tone a lot.. when I bought my bike I took it to the bike shop and they adjusted everything and put my seat where it needed to be with my height... I have a cruiser and now sitting on the seat doesn't hurt that much more the lighter I get... not sure if this helps... :)
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Get a female bike seat, and a good pair of bike shorts. The pain will go away eventually, I promise!! Keep it up! :)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Besides making sure you have a women's seat, bike shorts will keep you from chafing and add some padding, and proper height of the seat....a big issue that no one has addressed ( at least for me) is your core. We tend to relax our core, which can lead to all of your weight settling onto your seat. If you tighten your core, you will find that this tucks the pelvis slightly which puts the weight back a bit--and off of the "sensitive" area down there. This makes a huge difference for me!

I use a women's racing saddle, on both my road bike and my mountain bike. AFWIW....you will feel a little bruised just from the pressure on the sits bones for several days. If you bike consistantly--it will go away! HTH!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Gel seat cover or quality bike seat. I have used both and have never had a problem with "sitting pain". Definitely look into different equipment! Good luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are in pain from such a short ride something is seriously wrong - lowering the seat sounds very unlikely to be the right solution. Much more common to see saddles too low than too high.

Good saddle, good shorts, riding position set up properly and then time in the saddle - that's really all there is to it.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. While getting biking shorts and a new seat may help, for me this was not necessary. I'm a female with quite wide hips and a booty and whenever I pick up biking (I go through cardio phases) it hurts the first couple times but after about three rides I don't get pain anymore. I've never used anything but the standard seat and I don't wear biking shorts or any extra padding. So I'd suggest you stick it out for a bit before you feel like you have to go out and buy stuff.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think some people are more sensitive than others. I have a great women's bike seat but I have found the best solution for me is to wear 2 pair of the padded shorts when I ride. It helps a lot.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    lol @ anji888 feeling my pain, "literally."

Thanks for all of the tips. I went back out yesterday after being off of the bike for a few days. It wasn't so bad. I went today, and still had to adjust a bit to find a spot that wasn't sore and was able to ride for 38 minutes. I'm pretty sure that I'm not sitting on it properly, plus I'm 215 pounds. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a bike fit, the nose of your saddle might be tilted down causing you to put alot of pressure on the front of your groin. get a ladies saddle and a pair of cycle shorts or at least padded underwear.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a bike fit, the nose of your saddle might be tilted down causing you to put alot of pressure on the front of your groin. get a ladies saddle and a pair of cycle shorts or at least padded underwear.

I had purchased a noseless seat yesterday and finally got the right tools to install it. I just tested it and it's amazing! So comfortable.