Is it rude...????

Options
2»

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I've been living in Mississippi for nearly 18 months now, having moved from central Illinois....and I still cannot believe the number of times I am asked "Where are you from?":grumble: In fact, in church (of all places) this morning, the same woman asked me 3 times consecutively....I happen to find this very offensive and just wanted to vent and get some of your opinions....

The central Illinois area is culturally diverse with residents from all over the globe, I worked with the public and would never have questioned a person's origin....

Thoughts anyone????

...and thanks in advance...:flowerforyou:
    Vee

why do you dislike southerners?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How come you find it rude?

I'm always curious where people come from, and I like to learn a little bit about where they come from if I've never been to that area.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Stupid burro.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    sneaky
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

But you never know, the woman from church might just have a really short memory so I'd give her the benefit of doubt.

She could have the beginnings of dementia
  • cathead9
    Options
    I'm from Texas and when I open my mouth, I might as well have a huge blinking neon TEXAS on my forehead. I think people are just trying to get to know you better. My major in college was Linguistics, so I love to hear different accents.
    Now that I said that, I remembered that on a business call to Michigan a few years back, the lady on the phone told me, "Girl, you sound country!". LOL And she had just as thick a Michigan accent as my Texas accent!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You probably sound like a yankee....most definitely, a mid-west accent is very noticeable.

Also, I often ask people where they're from when they're obviously not from around here...nothing rude about it...just genuinely curious.

How do people get through life when they're so easily offended by every little thing?
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Take it with a grain of salt. They're probably just trying to make conversation and are ignorant to how offended you get.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Do you have an accent?
    I got that a lot when I moved from Michigan to Virginia. I wasn't bothered by that so much, but it got annoying when people would ask me to say words like 'apple' and 'math' because I said my A's "funny". I'm sure people are just trying to make small talk. I think it's rude when they try to turn you into a circus performer. :tongue:

.....I don't think I have an accent....and I say that because I speak just like newscasters on the major networks....in fact, if I remember correctly, I believe that they train them to speak "midwestern"... I'm probably being overly sensitive, but it really annoyed me when the "church lady" questioned me 3 times this a.m.....

Right. And they don't speak like newscasters in Mississippi, do they. You talk like an outsider. My experience in the south tells me they don't like outsiders but are too "southern charm " to be truthful about it. It is also true that where are you from could be a more interesting topic of conversation than the weather "yup still hotter than Hades ", but if you sense judginess from a Southern Lady, and you're an outsider, I'd trust that 6th sense of yours. Maybe join the Junior League. Or price uhauls headed north. But duck if one of em says "isn't that niiiice?"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Lol. Rude? Lol.