help - not losing at 1200 calories

Options
Since 9/7/13, I have been faithfully tracking and consuming 1200 calories a day and have not lost a pound yet! I am so frustrated. I'm not sure what information to give here, but anyone can look at my diary if they want.

I lift weights 3x/wk for 30 min
I do cardio 2x/wk for 30 min
I average around 6k to 8k steps per day on the fitbit
I have been sticking with 1200 calories a day (occasional days of higher calories but ALWAYS tracked!!)

I feel like I have scrutinized my diet to death to see if I am missing something. I just feel like I should have lost something by now!! There is so much debate about whether or not to eat your exercise calories and I am just overwhelmed at this point. If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too few calories. Also, for the few calories you are eating, you're still drinking a bit of them. Therefore, your body is likely not getting enough proper fuel.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Upon further review, you seem to be eating a lot of crackers and potato chips! Where are the fruits and veggies? What's your sodium intake? How much water are you drinking? Are you carefully measuring everything? Are there any missing "nibbles"?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    you should be NETTING at least 1,200 calories a day. eat more.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh and measure you're food, it's likely that you're eating more than you think.
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    No missing nibbles, I swear. The veggies are there for sure. I eat a chicken breast wrap loaded with veggies every day at lunch. I don't really eat fruit. Maybe I should cut out the chips? Huh...that is a thought though. Maybe just the wrong type of calories? I do try to stay away from sugar.

And I drink TONS of water. I happen to love it. I have a cup 32 oz cup at my desk and I drink at least 3 of them a day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods or eyeballing portions? You'd be surprised at how quickly those little inconsistencies add up.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, are you using a heartrate monitor or MFP/machine estimates? MFP may be overestimating some exercises.

Since the exercise routine seems to be new, your muscles may be holding onto extra water during the repair process. This can mask any fat loss that's happening.

And I know it sounds counter-intuitive. But a lot of us find that we don't lose anything if we drop our calories too low. If you're not eating back calories already, that's where I'd suggest you start.
  • punkrockprincess23
    Options
    i have same problem. 1st few weeks i lost 3lbs a weekfor 3 weeks straight. now nothing.ive been told to eat back exercise calories, and then others say not to. if by friday i dont lose anything then maybe i will start eating back exercise calories
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    i have same problem. 1st few weeks i lost 3lbs a weekfor 3 weeks straight. now nothing.ive been told to eat back exercise calories, and then others say not to. if by friday i dont lose anything then maybe i will start eating back exercise calories

MFP is designed for you to eat back those extra calories (within reason). Why else do you think it would add them to your daily goal when you log your workouts?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    . If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Goodness! How do you even have the energy to exercise?! I'd drop over dead right in the gym if I only netted 700 calories!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There is so much debate about whether or not to eat your exercise calories and I am just overwhelmed at this point. If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight. The reason for eating exercise calories back..............when the calorie defcit is too large ........you lose MUSCLE and fat. Healthy weight loss should reduce your body fat %

The "debate" re: eating exercise calories is this ............. some people start be eating 100% of their calories only to find out that MFP calulations are "generous"

Other people will overstate their activity levels .......this is a few hundred extra calories right there

Other people do not measure/weigh their food ...........they could be eating back their exercise calories and not be aware

Still othoer people use a different tool TDEE less a % .......this INCLUDES exercise upfront. So those people do not even log exercise, or overwrite the burns to zero.

Whether you use MFP or TDEE ...... both (when used properly**) will have you eating at the very least ..... your BMR - basal metabolic rate ..... calories needed if you stayed in bed all day

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

**Proper use means that you have selected a weekly goal that is approriate.....many people end up at 1200 (lower than most BMRs) because they have chosen really aggressive weekly goals.
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    I measure everything but veggies and I am not eating my exercise calories. Exercising is very new to me! I was very out of shape and not exercising at all. My son, who is a weght lifter, is training me so I know I am getting quality workouts.

I'm not sure how to get over the mental block of eating 1200 "net calories". I'm afraid of it...
  • amiclvrt
    Options

Goodness! How do you even have the energy to exercise?! I'd drop over dead right in the gym if I only netted 700 calories!

Oh trust me, I am hungry ALL THE TIME. But my hubby assures me that the hunger pains means your body is burning through those calories. He says I should be hungry all the time. He does not believe in the "starvation mode" theory. He just tells me that persistence is the key.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You need more than 1200 calories per day plus you are not eating back any of your exercises calories. Way too low.
  • DrSchizo
    DrSchizo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was going through the same thing. I was told to eat all my carbs before 4pm and make sure I have plenty of protein, lots of vegetables and lots of water. I try not to eat chips anymore, gave up soda for the most part, and when I feel hungry, I reach for a high protein snack. It's starting to work for me. Hope that helps.
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    Thanks for the kind advice guys! I have been working so hard!!! I am going to up my calories and see if that does the trick.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Oh trust me, I am hungry ALL THE TIME. But my hubby assures me that the hunger pains means your body is burning through those calories. He says I should be hungry all the time. He does not believe in the "starvation mode" theory. He just tells me that persistence is the key.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. You're hungry all the time because you're "starving" (net 700 calories).
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I measure everything but veggies and I am not eating my exercise calories. Exercising is very new to me! I was very out of shape and not exercising at all. My son, who is a weght lifter, is training me so I know I am getting quality workouts.

I'm not sure how to get over the mental block of eating 1200 "net calories". I'm afraid of it...

Calorie surplus=weight gain
    Therefore, you were eating at a calorie surplus in order to get to the point of needing to lose 81 pounds. You can eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. Set appropriate goals.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    OK I am not a guru of this nor schooled in the terms that a lot of great MFPers are, but just looking at your diary you are really not eating enough. There are many days you're netting under 1200 and then there are days you're over your allotted amount of calories. I don't think you're eating the best either, try a more substantial breakfast and healthier choices, no chips etc. I love me some starbucks, but I would rather eat 100 plus calories than drink them, know what I mean? :)

What is your height? Just curious :) I have a lot to lose (started with 150 to lose) and while some days I feel like I am way over eating, because I eat most of calories every day (regardless if I exercise or not) even when I am not hungry. I don't want to starve myself. I think you should up the calories you're eating, then if you're worried about eating your exercise calories back, only eat half. That way you're refueling without going crazy! Try it for awhile and see if it helps!
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    What is your height?

I am 5'7". And, I will give up my small bag of chips at lunch way before I give up my sugar free, skim milk latte! :smile: I will be upping my calories for sure from all of the advice I've gotten today!