How is an apple...

Options
120 calories? for 1 med to lare apple, I don't get it. They say eat more fruit and veggies, so I am trying. But come on, if I had a cup of fresh baby carrots it would only be 35 calories. It makes me not want to eat fruit at all. ugggg

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Fruit is naturally high in sugar, thus the calories...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    just eat it.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yeah but - less than a muffin! :wink: What would you have been snacking on if you weren't counting calories?
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    120 calories with a lot of good nutrients. It's worth it.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of good nutrients, and we need natural sugar which is best from fruits. The fiber is also good.
  • IndigoRey
    Options
    Fruits have a lot of good nutrients

I think having more veggies is supposed to be the goal with one or two whole fruits a day...citrus fruits are great!

I love apples with almond butter...yum!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thinking that 120 calories is a lot for something as big as an apple is a little worrisome. And a cup of carrots is more like 50 calories.

Have an apple and some carrots. You'll still be under 200 calories for your snack.
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    yeah but - less than a muffin! :wink: What would you have been snacking on if you weren't counting calories?

I'm at work so I gues what ever was in the vending machine, lol. I have tried to keep the 100 calorie snacks in my desk so when I get a craving I have those. I ended up only eating half the apple becasue it tasted mealy, I perfer a crunchy one.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try weighing your apples. My apple today is 170g, which is only 88 calories according to the USDA. A small apple is 130g. Estimates and generic entries can kill your deficit. This time it's erring high, but often they can be too low. I try to weigh my food as much as possible until I can get a handle on serving/portion sizes. I also try to us USDA entries for items if I can. Or just accept that some things will be wrong.
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think I will go for a cutie orange tomorrow
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I'm at work so I gues what ever was in the vending machine, lol. I have tried to keep the 100 calorie snacks in my desk so when I get a craving I have those. I ended up only eating half the apple because it tasted mealy, I prefer a crunchy one.

I often find that those 100 calorie snacks aren't enough as they're often cookies and such and you don't really get that much. I prefer balancing my day off more by eating a fruit that is more filling and more full of nutrients, and not packed with chemicals.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Fruits have a lot of good nutrients

I think having more veggies is supposed to be the goal with one or two whole fruits a day...citrus fruits are great!

I love apples with almond butter...yum!

Non-sweet fruits have a lot of good nutrients, too - tomatoes, bell peppers, summer squash, etc. I usually eat at least one whole sweet fruit a day, but more as a treat than to fill any nutritional hole in my diet.

Do you nuke your almond butter?