help - not losing at 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    that is not even three weeks...it takes your body four to six weeks to adapt to any change...give it six weeks and if no loss then make some adjustments..

do you have a food scale, weigh/measure all your food? You could be underestimating..
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    that is not even three weeks...it takes your body four to six weeks to adapt to any change...give it six weeks and if no loss then make some adjustments..

do you have a food scale, weigh/measure all your food? You could be underestimating..

I do measure everything. If a serving is 15 almonds, I count them out. I use measuring cups but do not weigh. And I try to buy snacks in portion-sized containers (string cheese, almonds, etc.)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    . If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Goodness! How do you even have the energy to exercise?! I'd drop over dead right in the gym if I only netted 700 calories!

Oh trust me, I am hungry ALL THE TIME. But my hubby assures me that the hunger pains means your body is burning through those calories. He says I should be hungry all the time. He does not believe in the "starvation mode" theory. He just tells me that persistence is the key.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. You're hungry all the time because you're "starving" (net 700 calories).

I have to agree with this. I'm rarely hungry at all and I started mfp @ 218lbs on March 13 this year (now 169.4lbs as of this morning). I'm also only 5'4.5" and eat 1524 calories on a lazy day (2000+ when I'm really active). I looked through your diary some and if I ate the same number of calories that you do some days, not only would I be hungry...no one in their right mind would want to be near me because I'd be a total *****. I can't even imagine working out on so little.

Good luck and I hope you find a more sustainable calorie goal that you can easily lose weight at. :flowerforyou:
  • ajsjourney
    ajsjourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you need to up your calories, I was netting about 900 calories in the beginning with my exercise and my weight loss eventually stalled. I asked for advice on it, and the majority of people told me that I need to eat more. I currently use TDEE -20% to calculate my calories with the number of hours I exercise per week. My weight loss started moving again. Here is an easy website to figure out your TDEE and calorie target, you will see that you will get more calories then what your eating.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    First, slap your husband.

Second...

I Copy/paste this everywhere. You're not new here, but these tips might help:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

The TL;DR version? You're doing it wrong. You can't work out as much as you are and only net 700 calories.. and expect good things to happen.
  • pjwcampbell
    pjwcampbell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Anything less than 1500 calories per day for women is starvation...contrary to what MFP says.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I measure everything but veggies and I am not eating my exercise calories. Exercising is very new to me! I was very out of shape and not exercising at all. My son, who is a weght lifter, is training me so I know I am getting quality workouts.

I'm not sure how to get over the mental block of eating 1200 "net calories". I'm afraid of it...

I was afraid too, but I was more afraid of plateauing forever, so I said I'd give it a month, and I went from 23% body fat to less than 20%. Check out this link for the how and why - especially if you're lifting!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

And I use this calculator for figuring out my TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

TDEE would INCLUDE your exercise calories, so you won't have to worry about eating them back - I find having only one number to worry about each day makes it a lot easier to manage.

Best of luck!
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty
  • 67Wildcat
    67Wildcat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat! If you are lifting weights, you may be gaining muscle weight. Try checking your measurements to see results. You may be more on track than you think.
    Blessings,
    Carol
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Track your sodium intake. That might help.
  • 67Wildcat
    67Wildcat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of that! I've always had a weight problem. I used to have trouble keeping weight on. Now I can't get it off, even if I am FASTING. I assumed being 51 and hormonally changing was the reason.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    THIS.. Eat More! You are not providing any fuel for your body and it is holding on to all that it can!!!

If you feel hungry, eat. Also when you do eat, work in Protein. Protein helps to curb the hunger feeling.

Second...

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

The TL;DR version? You're doing it wrong. You can't work out as much as you are and only net 700 calories.. and expect good things to happen.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat! If you are lifting weights, you may be gaining muscle weight. Try checking your measurements to see results. You may be more on track than you think.
    Blessings,
    Carol

No, especially when only netting 700 calories.

Maintaining......maybe.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Second...

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

This is EXCELLENT advice!!!!! Edited to add: maybe not the slapping your husband, or at least not hard.

And muscle does not weigh more than fat...jeesh. Muscle takes up less volume than fat. I guarantee if you take one pound of muscle and one pound of fat they will weigh the same, it's just that that one pound of fat will take up more space if you put them both in the same size jar.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try more cardio 3-4 days 20 min maybe?Eat around 400 calories a meal you have not been doing this long at first it will show nothing on the scale and then all of a sudden drop 10lbs and then up and down the scale will show just don't get frustrated ...Your body has to adjust ( your metabolism starts outta wack from being abused over years) Can't expect your body to know what the hell is going on at first some people take longer...I was out of shape and got myself to build up to more and more exercise now I crave it and my body is loving it and getting results I like and feel awesome!Stay positive:smile: After 2 months and nothing shows then try to find out more could be sodium like others are saying...but I think it's too soon to tell still?
  • parallax1978
    parallax1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Seconded

Also make sure you are weighing yourself under the same conditions every time... Same amount of time after you have eaten, worked out, same amont of clothing etc... especially at such an early stage of your goal... 2.5 weeks you could at best expect to lose 2-4 pounds so these things become a facotr. It sound though, that you are just expecting too much to happen too soon. Make a solid plan, execute it, and stick to it and you will see results.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Second...

I don't have a husband, but dude - you nailed it. Awesome response.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    . If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Goodness! How do you even have the energy to exercise?! I'd drop over dead right in the gym if I only netted 700 calories!

Oh trust me, I am hungry ALL THE TIME. But my hubby assures me that the hunger pains means your body is burning through those calories. He says I should be hungry all the time. He does not believe in the "starvation mode" theory. He just tells me that persistence is the key.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. You're hungry all the time because you're "starving" (net 700 calories).

^^THIS is exactly what I was going to say! You need to eat to fuel those workouts!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Since 9/7/13, I have been faithfully tracking and consuming 1200 calories a day and have not lost a pound yet!

For yesterday, your diary says you ate over 1700 calories.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue that you are just a few weeks ago. Someone here sent me a message and told me to stop working out so much and net 1200 calories per day. (I don't know her name, I've been looking for it all day to thank her. And, her messages are no longer in my inbox.) She told me to cut back on the exercise for just a bit to get back down to what I had originally lost. Then, slowly, add exercise back.

At first, I was totally afraid to take her advise as I want to lose the weight very badly. This past week, when I finally did, the pounds started gradually but consistantly coming back off!