Reached goal but did not get results.

Options
I pretty much reached my weight loss goal and got back down to my college weight. (I fluctuate within a few lbs of my goal). Problem is, I still have a pot belly. I am fine everywhere else. My goal is for a flat stomach. Is there something diet wise that can help? Or is it my frame still cannot support this weight and I should loose a little more?

-6'1 male, 155 lbs, 8% body fat, very small frame. Not muscular at all. In my mid 20's.
-Work out 5 times/week. 25 mins of cardio, 5 mins of crunches, 30 mins of weight lifting, alternating muscle groups on different days.

Replies

• camm1969
    camm1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What age are you? I don't mean to be rude but if you're over 40 have you considered the dreaded 'middle-age-spread' ? Our bodies aren't as tight as they were when we were younger. I have the same problem. :(
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You seem really thin and light to me - sounds like you are missing muscle --
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    my uneducated guess would be cut back on the cardio and focus more on weights. I'm thinking that you would be happier with your body appearance if you put on some muscle.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd start a bulk. As you said, you have no muscle mass at all (6'1" and 155lbs is VERY light). No muscle mass results in a sort of "skinny fat" look where you are light but still have a flabby look. Heavy strength training and a slight calorie surplus, IMO.
  • iMikky
    Options
    It sounds like you're bloated. If you don't already, try getting more fiber and more water. Try 2 servings of Post Raisin Brand cereal with a chopped banana every morning. If you have build up it's going to come right out. By the way, congratulations on the weight loss!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    at 8% bf% you would not have any visible fat, and a 6 pack, even if the rest of you was thin with not much muscle.
    <--- that pic is 9ish% BF%

How did you calculate your BF%?
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You seem really thin and light to me - sounds like you are missing muscle --

this, and I don't know what your diet is like, but try to eliminate processed foods and go for whole, clean ones...my 125 lbs look way different 7 years later than they did during my freshman year in college, namely because I had zero muscle mass then and now weight lift/eat clean
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What age are you? I don't mean to be rude but if you're over 40 have you considered the dreaded 'middle-age-spread' ? Our bodies aren't as tight as they were when we were younger. I have the same problem. :(

He said Mid 20's so it's not that...

but at 6 ft 1 and 155lbs wow...I would be building muscle if I were you. My husband is a small man and he is 5 ft 11 and is 183lbs with a small pot but everywhere else he is muscled even his upper belly area is not big just a little pot by his belt...(he's a carb *kitten* tho too)
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am curious how you calculated your bf%
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Crunches with weights?
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try doing 15 minutes of crunches, drink a ton of water, and upping the cardio to 40-45 minutes.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting 8% body fat from? That seems low to be having the problems you are having.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So you're skinny fat.... Go ahead and start a slow bulk and watch yourself progress. Lose the bro split routine and go on a real one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GgbzzOZlaY
  • Gnasher1960
    Gnasher1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try doing 15 minutes of crunches, drink a ton of water, and upping the cardio to 40-45 minutes.

Nooooooooooooo!!
    my uneducated guess would be cut back on the cardio and focus more on weights. I'm thinking that you would be happier with your body appearance if you put on some muscle.

Yessssss!!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Could be a perception and/or posture issue.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    at 8% bf% you would not have any visible fat, and a 6 pack, even if the rest of you was thin with not much muscle.

This. I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt you are at 8%
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're bloated. If you don't already, try getting more fiber and more water. Try 2 servings of Post Raisin Brand cereal with a chopped banana every morning. If you have build up it's going to come right out. By the way, congratulations on the weight loss!!

Now this is a funny answer^^^^^^^

Also, no you don't need to eat clean or eliminate processed foods. That has nothing to do with losing fat.

OP, sounds like you are describing yourself as "skinny fat". And you said it yourself, you lack lbm.

I think you should post a picture here or in your profile so we can all see what exactly you are talking about.

Absolutely this!

155 @ 6'1 sounds super thin, 8% seems kind of low (but might not be that much off considering the lack of LMB).

OP, if you want to look "muscular" you have to have muscle in the first place, or else you're just going to look skinny.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Where's that 10% vs 10% photo? Although there's a big difference between 8% and 10%... I agree that his readings are probably inaccurate, but doesn't change the fact that the reason he's unhappy with his aesthetics is due to a lack of LBM.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Where's that 10% vs 10% photo? Although there's a big difference between 8% and 10%... I agree that his readings are probably inaccurate, but doesn't change the fact that the reason he's unhappy with his aesthetics is due to a lack of LBM.

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg