Anyone else who has been overweight since they were kids???

Options

Replies

• CamilleJC86
    Options
    I have been overweight to some extent since I was in the second grade (or at least that's when I notice it in pictures). I never ate really unhealthy, except at my grandma's house. :) When I got into high school, I lost weight doing the Atkins diet (not very healthy), but never really got down to within a healthy weight range. I kept it off throughout high school by doing cheerleading. But then in college I gained it all back plus. I like to say I gained the "freshmen 50" instead of "freshmen 15".

Since then I've struggled with trying to lose weight and not giving a crap. I've done weightwatchers several times. I think that program reall works but only if you allow it to work. Right now, I have an extremely stressful job in a law office. I think that's really keeping me from losing the weight. I'd not only like to be thin but I want to be healthy and not be out of breath just from walking up one flight of stairs. And I think it's important to get in that frame of mind young especially if you have a tendency to be heavy.
  • adepko
    adepko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I'm 19 too, and really struggling now!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is me. I am 53 and not until I was into my late 40s or early 50s did I understand food was controlling me rather than me controlling the food. I won't go into everything but as a child I felt that my choices of what I ate, how much, when I ate was the only thing I had control of, so many things were out of control in ,y life and family. Once I got married I continued to gain weight until I became pregnant. I always followed the suggested plans the doctor game me and b/c of that each time I lost. But once I had the baby I always returned to the illusion I was controlling things. Fast forward through 24 years of a unsupportive husband to a supportive and loving husband and happy home life, I was finally able to focus on me for a change. Why did I feel I never measured up, I did not deserve to be loved. I went back to school to fulfill my life long dream to be a teacher. Once I started teaching I lost a bit so I decided to begin working with it. I joined MFP a little over 480 days ago and while it has not been easy I do know I will make my goal.

The most important thing for me has been taking small steps until they became habits and then adding more. When I started I focused on calories as time has moved forward I now eat healthy and clean. I do not restrict myself, there are no bad foods as long as there is portion control. This is a journey not a diet. My only regret is that it took me so many years to understand the food and the weight was controlling me. Good luck and do know that it can be done !!!!!
  • darwinwho
    darwinwho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and I've been overweight 33 of them years.
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was always obese, from childhood until less than a year ago. Everyone keeps asking me what my goal weight is but I am not real sure because I have no thin comparison of myself to go by. I've lost 100 pounds since July of 2012 and it's interesting because there are lots of things I like about being thinner but some things I don't like.

I'm curious... what don't you like about being thinner? For me, it is the loose skin. I hate it.
  • frosfoodfashion
    Options
    I gained weight at 10. Been big ever since. :/ 13 years. Im trying not to make my 14th anniversary.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Since I was a kid, and I'm now 40. Do it while you're young.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hah. My mother told me I was the size of a five year old at two, so yeah, I'd say so.
  • jen076
    jen076 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been overweight since I was about 6 or so. I did lose a bunch of weight about 10 years ago but I put it all back on. I'm 37 and still struggling but this site helps a lot. I've only been logging for about 2 weeks and can already tell a difference.
  • jewelsndrugs
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was about 9 years old. It just got worse and worse over the years and being in relationships was a factor in me gaining even more weight (dinner dates, movies, all the fun stuff). When I was a kid it wasn't so bad because I was taller than the other girls and boys in my class, but not super tall. Kids in middle school were not mean to me, but I wasn't picked first for basketball teams at PE...
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be 27 and have ALWAYS been overweight. I was suffering from high blood pressure and I knew that it was time for a change plus I was official in plus size clothing for the first time. I've always hovered between the juniors and plus. Now I'm trying to reverse 26 years of thinking and change my lifestyle for the better and reap all the benefits of it.
  • moontenshi23
    moontenshi23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since about 7 or 8 years old. By the time I was 13 I was already over 200 pounds and at a size 16. Not only was being teased because of my weight not fun as a kid, but being forced to shop in the women's section (the place I referred to as the old lady section at the time) wasn't great either. I managed to get down to 195 or so with the help of weight watchers at 18, but then ballooned up further than before. At 21 I weighed my highest, coming in at around 245 pounds and bursting out of a size 18. Today I weigh 184, pounds, which is less than I did as a 13 year old and so strange to think about. As someone else mentioned, it is hard to figure out your goal weight when you have no thinner you to reference.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I was always obese, from childhood until less than a year ago. Everyone keeps asking me what my goal weight is but I am not real sure because I have no thin comparison of myself to go by. I've lost 100 pounds since July of 2012 and it's interesting because there are lots of things I like about being thinner but some things I don't like.

i too have no idea of a goal weight because ive never been thin. may i ask what it is you dont like about being thin :O
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've always been over weight. Maybe since the age of 5? I started getting chunky in elementary school, and I've been overweight ever since. This is actually the smallest I've been since I was 12, and I'm still overweight. I have like another 50 lbs to lose before I'm not overweight anymore!! Lol sad but true!
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I remember my pediatrician's chart always having me in the 95th percentile. I always thought it was a good thing I was at the top of the paper.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm finally kicking this fats butt though and determined to finally wear a bikini before I'm 30!
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I weigh less now, at 22, then I did when I was 6 :/ At my highest I was 265lb and I'm now down to about 156lb! So I totally get what you mean when you say you have no idea what your goal weight would be! So I have a goal range :):)
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I was for about 25 years. It wasn't until last year that I started to take control of my weight. I am no longer overweight according to the BMI.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i was overweight for about 14 years
  • Crusader_82
    Options
    Been a fatty my whole life. I’m 49.