Which nutritional facts should I be watching the most?

Options
I was trying a route that my mom said she lost 10 pounds a month at a point in time. Basically she was just counting calories and fat grams. She said she did 1200 cal a day and 22 fat grams a day...but now i'm hearing things like watch the carbs and the sodium. it was easy for me to do the cals and the fat but when i add watching the other two as well, it just seems like a lot to keep up with. because actually, today, while i stayed within cal limit and and fat grams, it said i was negative in a goal for carbs sodium and sugars i believe. anyone have a suggestion about this?

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You don't need to count anything but calories for weight loss, not even fat. These all fancy carb counting, fat counting, sodium counting, etc does nothing for weight loss. Unless you want to get contest shape lean on a stage you don't need to count that all, and even then you could do without it. Just a gimmick. Count calories and don't stress yourself with unnecessary nonsense.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You don't need to count anything but calories for weight loss, not even fat. These all fancy carb counting, fat counting, sodium counting, etc does nothing for weight loss. Unless you want to get contest shape lean on a stage you don't need to count that all, and even then you could do without it. Just a gimmick. Count calories and don't stress yourself with unnecessary nonsense.

I would just say that your body needs fat. Make sure you get enough of it, as opposed to limiting it to such low levels. 0.4g of fat per body weight.....
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Like the above person said, you truly only have to watch calories. You could eat all carbs or all protein and still lose if you're at your calorie goal. Will you be healthy? Not exactly, so which is why most people try to keep carbs around 40% and protein and fat at 30%. MFP sets protein too low at 15%, so a lot of us change this.

A sensible weight loss goal should be 1lb per week and that way you won't be limited to 1200 calories and most likely end up feeling deprived shortly down the road.
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is important. If you have too little fat in your diet you will actually start to lose hair and have dull hair. If you have too much salt you could start to get other health problems. . That is why the goals set for you recommend a certain amount of each catagory. Each person has different bodily problems. You appear to have good health but as time goes on you nay have to watch certain things. I am an old person; of 70 I eat less salt due to blood pressure and less protein due to kidney disease. Good luck on your weight loss journey I consider it a good day when I am within my calorie goals and read the bottom of the nutrition and am not seeing a lot of red numbers. It means that the breakdown of nutrition I fed my body that day was good for my health.
  • Toekneelynn
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! They were very helpful!
  • Toekneelynn
    Options
    and you look great harriethenry1!
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you do need to count macros in my opinion

you must hit the minimums for fat to be healthy and protean to maintain LBM
  • Toekneelynn
    Options

oh my, what are macros?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options

oh my, what are macros?

The three macronutrients: Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates.
  • Toekneelynn
    Options
    Thank you!
  • mollyb1018
    Options
    Also about the Macros...I try to aim for 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. Those are the numbers the suited me very well with Insanity. I tried to up the protein to 50% and lower the carbs to 30%, but my energy and workouts suffered. If you have any more questions, please let me know. :happy:
  • mollyb1018
    Options
    P.S. I'd also stick to lean meats, whole grain carbs (brown rice, quinoa, whole grain wheat, etc.), and healthy fats (avocado, olive and coconut oil...), veggies and some fruit. Sure, the main science to losing weight is to burn more calories than you consume, but for overall health and fitness your diet should be primarily healthy foods. :o) I love myself a good cheat meal, but I try to keep it clean 90% of the time.