help - not losing at 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have had some success since I started 8/5/13- looking at your diary, you are eating too many processed foods, they all contain loads of sodium and sugars which will sabotage your weight loss. Try sticking to "whole" foods and stay clear of processed foods all together. If you are working out that much you are eating waay too little calories each day. The first 3 weeks on my "clean" life style change I lost 4lbs each week. The 4th week I lost .4lbs I was livid as I was doing all the same things as the first 3 weeks. I reached out as you and I received a lot of helpful advice and the majority of it is was to increase my calories each day.... YIKES, that scared the crap out of me but i did just that, I increased from 1200 to 1300 and that week I lost 3.2lbs. Your body needs fuel to burn. Eat 5-6 small meals every 2/3 hours and drink 1/2 your weight in ounces in water each day. I do not eat back my calories and it works for me. You don't have to increase your caloric intake by a lot, 100/200 calories will still keep you well below the average 2200 calories. Small changes will make the difference, face your fears and increase your calories for a week or 2 and I guarantee you won't regret it! Ditch the process foods, eat more veggies/fish/lean meats... You got this!!

Best of luck!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have had some success since I started 8/5/13- looking at your diary, you are eating too many processed foods, they all contain loads of sodium and sugars which will sabotage your weight loss. Try sticking to "whole" foods and stay clear of processed foods all together.

It's calorie in vs calorie out for weight loss. Whole, processed, organic, whatever.... as long as you burn more than what you take in you will lose weight.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    LMAO. My thyroid is fine! I'm over going to the doctor because "something is wrong with me." The thing that was wrong with me was that I was sitting on my *kitten* all day, eating like it was Thanksgiving everyday and wishing I was a size 2.

This is 99.99999999999% of everyone on this site who cries "thyroid". The sooner they reach your state of wisdom, the better off they'll be. :D
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    Dude, why would... I can't.. I...

Just stop. Why even SAY that it'd work?

Because she said that's what she did, and that she doesn't lose weight with it.

Which means she didn't actually do that, because as you agreed, it *will* actually cause weight loss.

Excuse me damir00, I DID actually do that...am doing it now and it is not working; hence the reason for asking for help. I have gone from NO activity at all to working out 5x/wk and I AM LOVING IT. I read an article about how lifting heavy weights is more effective than cardio for weight loss. I am lifting heavy weight 3x/wk and cardio 2x/wk (moderate excursion). The feeling of confidence and empowerment from lifting weights makes me feel on top of the world!

Come to think of it, I started lifting weights 2 wks before cutting calories and tracking weight and I WAS losing weight. So, it makes sense after reading all of these posts that I am not eating enough food.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have had some success since I started 8/5/13- looking at your diary, you are eating too many processed foods, they all contain loads of sodium and sugars which will sabotage your weight loss. Try sticking to "whole" foods and stay clear of processed foods all together. If you are working out that much you are eating waay too little calories each day. The first 3 weeks on my "clean" life style change I lost 4lbs each week. The 4th week I lost .4lbs I was livid as I was doing all the same things as the first 3 weeks. I reached out as you and I received a lot of helpful advice and the majority of it is was to increase my calories each day.... YIKES, that scared the crap out of me but i did just that, I increased from 1200 to 1300 and that week I lost 3.2lbs. Your body needs fuel to burn. Eat 5-6 small meals every 2/3 hours and drink 1/2 your weight in ounces in water each day. I do not eat back my calories and it works for me. You don't have to increase your caloric intake by a lot, 100/200 calories will still keep you well below the average 2200 calories. Small changes will make the difference, face your fears and increase your calories for a week or 2 and I guarantee you won't regret it! Ditch the process foods, eat more veggies/fish/lean meats... You got this!!

Best of luck!!!
    Soooo....

Processed foods don't hamper loss.
    Meal timing doesn't matter.
    Don't have to eat "clean" to lose weight.
    It takes longer than 1 week at different calorie intake for your body to adjust.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Eat MORE. I'm losing while eating 1600-1700 cals a day. I also eat keto-style, but that's my preference. You don't need to eat keto to lose weight, but you should definitely bump your calories up a bit and see what happens.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Checked that...my weekly average of calories (not net calories) is 1290. And my thyroid is fine. I'm sure my body is completely messed up from 20 yrs of stupid fad dieting and yo-yoing. I am trying to do it right this time!

Hubby probably needs to be educated but he's a military man, never been more than 30 lbs overweight and when he wants to loose he eats around 900 calories a day and runs 5-6 miles a day. So, that method seems to work for him. It, however, does not seem to be working for me.

Um. Please don't do that method of "weight loss"
    Will you lose weight? Yes but it also works for anorexics and exercise bulimics.
    But that is not sustainable or healthy, nor should that be a goal.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Maybe its your thyroid?
    *...punches himself in the face...*

LMAO. My thyroid is fine! I'm over going to the doctor because "something is wrong with me." The thing that was wrong with me was that I was sitting on my *kitten* all day, eating like it was Thanksgiving everyday and wishing I was a size 2.

HA HA I LOVE your response!! I'm pretty sure I did that too... oh wait, I KNOW I did!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ...but you will notice that my net calories for almost three weeks there have been 2 over 1200 and NONE over 1500.

Personally I feel "net calories" is a huge red flag. My suggestion would be to fix your daily intake (averaged over a week is fine) to a single number - say 1300 calories.

Checked that...my weekly average of calories (not net calories) is 1290. And my thyroid is fine. I'm sure my body is completely messed up from 20 yrs of stupid fad dieting and yo-yoing. I am trying to do it right this time!

Hubby probably needs to be educated but he's a military man, never been more than 30 lbs overweight and when he wants to loose he eats around 900 calories a day and runs 5-6 miles a day. So, that method seems to work for him. It, however, does not seem to be working for me.

He must not have paid attention to anything in the military than. There's no way the military would condone that.
  • crapshack
    crapshack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    that is not even three weeks...it takes your body four to six weeks to adapt to any change...give it six weeks and if no loss then make some adjustments..

do you have a food scale, weigh/measure all your food? You could be underestimating..

Seconded

Also make sure you are weighing yourself under the same conditions every time... Same amount of time after you have eaten, worked out, same amont of clothing etc... especially at such an early stage of your goal... 2.5 weeks you could at best expect to lose 2-4 pounds so these things become a facotr. It sound though, that you are just expecting too much to happen too soon. Make a solid plan, execute it, and stick to it and you will see results.

This is huge. There are so many conditions that need to be fulfilled before I'll weigh myself. I will not weigh myself during period or PMS weeks. So that cuts it in half right there. So in the two weeks that are left, I will weigh myself only in the morning, and ONLY if I've had a good poop that morning. TMI I'm sure, but I don't want to get myself down with a number that isn't my true weight. Make sure you find your conditions that work for you and be consistent with when you weigh yourself. Take measurements too, because you might be losing inches and gaining muscle, especially if you're super out of shape and hitting the gym.
  • meg192327
    meg192327 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Ok, I have been dieting and exersizing for almost 5 weeks now, and did not loose weight, but gained 2 1/2 pds. I was so upset and could not understand why and was going to give up. I was eating 1200 cals. a day and walking 3 1/2 miles 6 days at 3.5 mile an hr speed. So I remembered back to when I went on a low carb diet and was able to loose with ease. So I got out that food diary ( cannot believe I kept it) and started looking at the carb. intake and calories. Everything I was eating then was not only low carb, but also low cal. So I tweeked my diet slightly. I realized I was eating 1200 calories, but my carbs were high. So now I eat enough carbs so I have enough energy and don't feel sluggish or weakwith out over doing it and still manage to eat 1200. I also have increased my exersize to 7 miles a day, 6 days a week. 60 mins in the morning at 3.0-3.5 mile an hr speed, and then again in the evenings. I have not incorporated weights yet, but plan to in the future. I have lost 5.3 pds in just one week since tweeking my diet and exersize. But remember what works for one person may not work for you. This is what works for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Ok, I have been dieting and exersizing for almost 5 weeks now, and did not loose weight, but gained 2 1/2 pds. I was so upset and could not understand why and was going to give up. I was eating 1200 cals. a day and walking 3 1/2 miles 6 days at 3.5 mile an hr speed. So I remembered back to when I went on a low carb diet and was able to loose with ease. So I got out that food diary ( cannot believe I kept it) and started looking at the carb. intake and calories. Everything I was eating then was not only low carb, but also low cal. So I tweeked my diet slightly. I realized I was eating 1200 calories, but my carbs were high. So now I eat enough carbs so I have enough energy and don't feel sluggish or weakwith out over doing it and still manage to eat 1200. I also have increased my exersize to 7 miles a day, 6 days a week. 60 mins in the morning at 3.0-3.5 mile an hr speed, and then again in the evenings. I have not incorporated weights yet, but plan to in the future. I have lost 5.3 pds in just one week since tweeking my diet and exersize. But remember what works for one person may not work for you. This is what works for me.

so check it out. I'm gonna help future you out.

This isn't going to work. Seriously. I know you're elated that it's working right now, and that's awesome.

High five.

..but this is where I'm going to help out Future you, dear friend.

Before you come back and post a carbon copy of this thread in a few months when your weight loss magically stops, your hair starts falling out, or you're magically missing your period, I'm gonna go ahead and give you the same advice that I've given already in this thread... since Future You is gonna need it.

This is your first post, so I'm not gonna be intentionally difficult or mean, but you might want to read the threads that you respond to. This is the advice that was given, and it'll apply to you too.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

The TL;DR version? You're doing it wrong. You can't work out as much as you are, only eat 1200 calories.. and expect good things to happen.

Now, seriously.. SERIOUSLY... on the real... whatever I need to say again..

You're on a short path to burnoutville. You'll get there quickly and it's gonna suck.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese are the 2 things you really do need to weigh not measure cause the variation can make a significant difference, just saying'.
  • sheepgirl44
    sheepgirl44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Be patient- took me a month of eating 1300 calories a day to shift the scales only 0.1lbs. Came off faster after that though. Patience!!!
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome conversation guys. I have got some great pointers and ideas. I am going to have a look at my calorie allocation to start with. (It hasn't changed for a couple of months)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    ...but you will notice that my net calories for almost three weeks there have been 2 over 1200 and NONE over 1500.

Personally I feel "net calories" is a huge red flag. My suggestion would be to fix your daily intake (averaged over a week is fine) to a single number - say 1300 calories.

having a look at your diary I find myself utterly confabulated by what you eat and its calorie quotas. Eg a chicken burger for 190 cals. I don't see how that can take place. Also coming from New Zealand which doesn't have quite so many food choices, I don't comprehend what a lot of your foods are.

I wonder if you are choosing database entries that are in some way incorrect? Are you weighing your portions? Are you including the mouthful of meat you have as you tidy up the dishes? Are you exactly identifying the handful of nuts? Fats in cooking are invisible in bought food too. Your cafe might do its chicken rolls with high fat mayonnaise and your database entry might be for the low fat one. I guess I would just check the accuracy of all the data as a first move.

I am looking at losing about your number of kilos, so I consider myself very similar - except that I lost 3kg in 2 weeks on 1200 cals a day, and I wasn't even doing ANY exercise. I was at home, on medical leave, sitting in a chair.

(God knows what it's done to my muscle tone, I'm trying to fix that! :p)
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    He must not have paid attention to anything in the military than. There's no way the military would condone that.
    Depends on the service and specialty. There are some programs that only allow one MRE a day in training, and those typically are associated with very strenuous physical activity.

However, OP, it is not possible that you are eating 1200 calories a day and maintaining your weight. Something is off in the way you are counting things. We don't follow you around all day, so we can't help you find what exactly that is. But you need to analyze the way you track food and make sure you weigh everything you eat. Ask a friend you know and trust to help you.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since 9/7/13, I have been faithfully tracking and consuming 1200 calories a day and have not lost a pound yet! I am so frustrated. I'm not sure what information to give here, but anyone can look at my diary if they want.

I lift weights 3x/wk for 30 min
    I do cardio 2x/wk for 30 min
    I average around 6k to 8k steps per day on the fitbit
    I have been sticking with 1200 calories a day (occasional days of higher calories but ALWAYS tracked!!)

I feel like I have scrutinized my diet to death to see if I am missing something. I just feel like I should have lost something by now!! There is so much debate about whether or not to eat your exercise calories and I am just overwhelmed at this point. If I look at my "net calories" I am around 700 per day.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

This is just me but I personally feel it could be what you eat. Have you thought of cutting back on carbs--like crackers and potato chips--maybe eating more cheese, lunch meats, tuna, chicken, joseph's flaxseed pita bread or wraps---- wonderful for hot sandwiches, tacos, tostada's, 2xprotein greek yogurt, Quest protein bars---are the bomb!! I eat them all the time and they keep you full. Just a suggestion
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You look like you are eating enough from your diary for the last two days, but it looks like you were starving yourself before that.

I think you might want to look at your exercise calories, though. Some of them seem kind of high. For example, you have 414 calories for 30 minutes on the stationary bike and 266 for 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer. Those numbers seem a bit high to me.