Slimming legs with stationary bike and Elliptical?

Options
Hello! I use the octane fitness equipment at the gym. Should I use personal trainer (x mode) or a leg focused workout? I have been doing hand weights for my arms. :) I am a pear shape and I'm wanting to at least get my legs toned. Thanks!!! :)

(Typing from my iPod is a pain!)

Replies

• SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm going to predict the answer you'll get most here is squats. I've been known to be wrong though.

EDIT: Also a ton of people will mention how you can't spot reduce.
  • viking_chick
    viking_chick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm going to predict the answer you'll get most here is squats. I've been known to be wrong though.

Sorry I wasn't clear. One the machine it offers a more leg based work out with those two options. So I need more helping seeing if a concentration on legs would help sim them down or should I do full body. :)
  • viking_chick
    Options
    Yeah that is why Im asking which method would be better :)
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to reduce the fat in any particular place... your best bet to reduce size of your legs is just overall body fat reduction (from calorie deficits).

I would say since you lift for your upper body, focus on lower body cardio settings.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do whichever you prefer. Concentrating on a particular body part will not slim it any differently.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Therefore there won't be an answer you want about these different forms of cardio...

As long as you continue eating at a calorie deficit you will continue to lose fat. You cannot choose where you lose it, however, i'd wager considering you hold most of your fat in your hips and thighs you will likely lose fat from that area last.

Good luck!
  • viking_chick
    Options
    You won't be able to reduce the fat in any particular place... your best bet to reduce size of your legs is just overall body fat reduction (from calorie deficits).

I would say since you lift for your upper body, focus on lower body cardio settings.

Ok thanks! My "lifting" is 5 lbs but Im trying to move up! I've always have had whimmy arms.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Sorry I wasn't clear. One the machine it offers a more leg based work out with those two options. So I need more helping seeing if a concentration on legs would help sim them down or should I do full body. :)

I think the issue is going to be you "slim down" by losing fat and you can't really spot reduce areas. The fat comes off of where it comes off of. If you're talking about toning using those muscle groups are the way to tone. The two are somewhat independent of each other, as you can tone the muscle but still have fat over it. I'm not sure which one of those machines would be best, but I can say the common advice is to create a deficit to lose fat and to do some sort of resistance training to tone and retain the muscle under the fat.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

So basically you're asking cardio vs lifting. In which case, why not both? You can't spot reduce (as has been said already), so just eat at a deficit and add in lifts and cardio and call it a day.

Ok, that answer not good enough, want to know which one is "best", whichever one you like better and will keep doing, lol.
  • viking_chick
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Therefore there won't be an answer you want about these different forms of cardio...

As long as you continue eating at a calorie deficit you will continue to lose fat. You cannot choose where you lose it, however, i'd wager considering you hold most of your fat in your hips and thighs you will likely lose fat from that area last.

Good luck!

I completely understand. I was wondering if you build muscle it would have been better to focus on my legs. :)

Thanks!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I completely understand. I was wondering if you build muscle it would have been better to focus on my legs. :)

Thanks!

You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit. ;)

You have to eat more calories than your body needs for it to build new muscle. So that's a non-issue! :)
  • viking_chick
    Options

So basically you're asking cardio vs lifting. In which case, why not both? You can't spot reduce (as has been said already), so just eat at a deficit and add in lifts and cardio and call it a day.

Ok, that answer not good enough, want to know which one is "best", whichever one you like better and will keep doing, lol.

No I was asking if I should focus my legs (to build muscle since they are flabby) or if doing a general body work out would be better. I try to spend an hour every other day (more if I don't have homework) and want to make sure I use my time wisely :)))
  • skinniwoman
    skinniwoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the arms. I'm waiting to build more sets. I only lift 5 pds too, but once I can lift several sets then I'll move up. :happy:
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Do a full body workout 3x a week. With a focus of hitting muscle failure in under 12 reps. Ignore small muscle groups like arms, ignore machines, and focus on free weight compound movements.

In regards to your question, there is no such thing as a toning exercise. Losing fat makes body parts look better. Exercise is used to retain that lean mass do when weight is lost, muscle is still there.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What about a cardio based kettlebell workout. You'll be lifting but also doing the movements fast and frequent enough to give you a great cardio workout too.
    I've done three sets of 20 kettlebell squats a few times for variety and my heart rate has risen way above what I normally get on the Eliptical.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20738913,00.html

Link to Harley Pasternak's answer to this question :smile:
  • KAH728
    Options
    Hi viking_chick,

I actually work for Octane Fitness and saw your post. If you're looking to tone your legs, I would recommend a few things. First, definitely use one of our leg-focused programs. Available programs will vary depending on which Octane Fitness elliptical you're using at the gym, but all of them have at least one leg-focused program (i.e. GluteKicker, ThighToner, QuadPower or Leg Press). These programs will increase resistance throughout your workout to really help tone your legs. Another approach you could use to tone your legs would be squatting on the machine. If you feel comfortable on the machine, grab the stationary handlebars and lower yourself into a squat position as you run. Depending on how deep of a squat you lower into, this will engage quads, hamstrings and glute more.

You can always find more workout tips at www.octanefitness.com or on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/octanefitness

Hope that helps!!!