Grad Student, and I Want to Lose Weight--Crazy? Yes.

Options
Hello, all! I'm brand new to MFP--and also brand new to my MS program. I am very nerdy. I would marry Benedict Cumberbatch in a heartbeat. And I want/need to lose weight. Yes, I'm a little insane.

I gained a bunch of weight after starting on some antidepressants about a year ago--perhaps it's the chemicals, perhaps I changed my eating habits, it's hard to say. Regardless, I want to be at a healthy weight again.

I'm always looking for new food and exercise ideas for the extremely time- and money-constrained.

I'd love to exchange ideas, so anyone in my boat, raise your hand! If we keep bailing water, we can keep 'er from sinking. Who knows, maybe we'll be friends when we drag our sodden (and hopefully thinner) bodies back onto shore.

50239516.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• gluteusassimus
    Options
    You can count on me, Mrs.Cumberbatch ;D I am here to motivate the mess out of you.
  • csr3426
    csr3426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. :) I'm also a Cumberbatch admirer and have survived two rounds of grad school (MS and MA), so I can appreciate that journey! Good luck, and go forth and conquer!
  • MaryLouRoyal
    MaryLouRoyal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Neato! What kind of Masters'?
  • GimmieDatSalad
    Options
    I'm more of a fannibal these days but yay! Nerdy friends! :D
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Im in class right now....MBA student. Add me if you want.
  • innocentabandon
    Options
    I'm just getting started again too and could use a motivated friend. I just graduated with a Master's, but am saving up for a grad publishing program. I'm currently doing the full plate living diet, which is really just high fiber, and am making recipes all over the place. So if you're interested, please do add me. :)
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    I'm just getting started again too and could use a motivated friend. I just graduated with a Master's, but am saving up for a grad publishing program. I'm currently doing the full plate living diet, which is really just high fiber, and am making recipes all over the place. So if you're interested, please do add me. :)

I am most definitely interested! Added.
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello all! OT student here! Love more student friends!
  • MeganG6927
    Options
    I'm a big BC fan too! He's amazing in Sherlock. I'm also a grad student so you aren't crazy. :)
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    I'm a big BC fan too! He's amazing in Sherlock. I'm also a grad student so you aren't crazy. :)

Yay!! What are you studying?
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I did my MA in the UK and at one point I was like "Dear Benedict: If you want an American girlfriend, I am just down the road." Of course, my boyfriend of the time (actually, the guy who introduced me to Sherlock) was like... "uhmmm...." but - still.

As a post grad school survivor, some tips: walk or bike everywhere. You're broke anyway, and it saves money and helps keep the weight at bay. I mostly aimed to maintain more than lose in grad school - and considering how much I drank, that was probably wise.
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    I did my MA in the UK and at one point I was like "Dear Benedict: If you want an American girlfriend, I am just down the road." Of course, my boyfriend of the time (actually, the guy who introduced me to Sherlock) was like... "uhmmm...." but - still.

As a post grad school survivor, some tips: walk or bike everywhere. You're broke anyway, and it saves money and helps keep the weight at bay. I mostly aimed to maintain more than lose in grad school - and considering how much I drank, that was probably wise.

Oh that would be so cool! I hope to go to the UK when I graduate.

I'd like to bike more places, but dangerous traffic patterns, and the weather most of the year, make that kind of tough. Not to mention, I work in a professional environment, so arriving sweaty and disheveled may be frowned upon. :P
  • MeganG6927
    Options
    I'm studying Special Education :)
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Geeky student here, also feeling insane restarting a program when starting a...program... o.O
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    Geeky student here, also feeling insane restarting a program when starting a...program... o.O

So many lifestyle changes at once!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna guess you are a Doctor Who fan. :):)

I'm a grad student too. Add me!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There are some days I work in a lab and due to parking I must walk a mile each way. Most of the time it is really hot here, so by the time I get to work I'm a hot mess. I have walking clothes. Then I change into work clothes, re-do my hair, etc. It works for me this way.

[/quote]
    I work in a professional environment, so arriving sweaty and disheveled may be frowned upon. :P
    [/quote]
  • Exhaling2day1
    Options
    You are the first post that I responded to......you think you are crazy....
    Well I'm a full time grad student, third shift dispatcher for the Fire Dept, and do I need anything else to be crazy??????
    I am actually enjoying working out right now. It had only been a little over a week though:) Welcome.
  • annacolour
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am a mature student under grad but understand the geek side Lol I wanted to call my daughter Princess Leia but other half put his foot down ... wish I'd just pitched Leia now and worked up! I don't AD but my sister does and has similar problems with weight. There is a book by this guy who had a genuinely hard childhood and got but went to uni and realised he was v sad and (think he was a chemistry student) and he realised certain foods are better to help us with Serotonin or dopamine cravings (will try and find out author and reply later). Anyway you're not crazy and hey feeling the love for Benedict! Good luck regardless I understand lack of time... I do a 4 yr course in 3 years (2nd yr now) it involves a lot of making and teaching practice and I have a 3 and 6 year old. GOOD LUCK xxxx
  • chassist23
    Options
    Full-time college science student with intensive courses. I feel your pain. Feel free to add :)