Do you look thinner than you are?

Options
124»

Replies

• KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think I do now or have ever looked thinner than I am, but...

I think a lot of people don't understand what weights look like on different heights. I am 5' 6 1/2", and ever since losing weight I've had a few people ask me if I weighed 100 lbs...far from it! I'm 125! That's a huge difference. I can't even imagine what 100 lbs would look on someone of my height.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I get that from people a lot too. I'm 5'6 and hovering around 165lbs. I often get mistaken for closer to 140lbs, but I do carry quite a bit of muscle mass from when I was rowing in college and eating like a machine.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1" and weigh 121lbs, but there have been a few occasions when I have mentioned to friends and certain colleagues that I wanted to lose a few lbs for one reason or another and I was told that I'd be anorexic if I did and this is from people who are slimmer than me! Now if I want to lose a little, I just say I'm exercising cos I want to tone up and they don't bat an eyelid.

Thing is if you dress the right way it can be a bit misleading to some people and before now I've actually had to lift my top up to show them my roll of fat around my waist to stop them going on!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get this all of the time when I tell people how much I weigh. lol, no one ever believes that I'm 160lbs on a 5'3 frame. I carry all of my weight in my midsection, so I can mask it well with a looser fitting shirt over fitted jeans.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'41/2", 161lb (as of today) but I am told all the time I look about 40lbs lighter than I actually am. When a friend thought I looked 120lb, I told her she must be delusional and to stop smoking crack. I don't see it, maybe because I do know how much I weigh and can't see past that number.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine a situation where someone would feel the need to try to guess my weight. A carnival? An overpacked elevator or life boat?

This does come up, though, because my sister and I can share clothes, but I weigh 145 and she weighs 125. It's like we are made of different material. When I was a little kid, I remember my uncle trying to throw me up in the air after he had thrown her, and he was all 'Holy crap, you're heavy, like a little refrigerator!" Yes, it burned into my mind for all eternity.
    I am so afraid of that - my 2 daughters weigh the same but one is 4 and the other 2. The 2 year old is perfect for her weight but the 4 year old is very thin and people make my 2 year old sound like a ton of bricks when they compare them. I just hate it.

grrr people really need to be more sensitive about stuff like this!

When I was a kid, I was always very chubby but I also was several inches taller than my two cousins who were 18 months younger than me. They were skinny girls of average height who hit puberty late and had the super skinny bods, long limbs and huge feet...I was "grown woman shaped" (and size) by age 11. EVERY family member had to comment. I looked 17 and they looked 9. I had such a complex about being too big, too curvy/busty, too much everything...it made me not even want to go near my extended family on that side.

On the other side I had boy cousins and no trouble. But again, ugh. Use common sense, adults!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think I look heavier than I am.. thanks to how I'm built. :|
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing this a lot lately with the weight loss specifically. The women in my family have always seemed to be built...densely? I guess haha but people see my pictures and say that they can't believe I'm still 200+ lbs (5'6), or when I started that I wanted to lose 85+ lbs as that would apparently be too much. People have also told me at all stages of this that it looks like I've lost more than __ lbs. Either way - I'm thankful that I apparently look thinner than I am. I'll take it!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people my weight, unless they are a doctor or a personal trainer. I went to have a bf analysis and the guy asked me how much I weighed, must have been thinking (pretty sure I was thinking) about my goal weight and that is what I told him. He didn't even blink, then I said oopsies and told him my actual weight. He lost a lot of color when I did that. I dunno though I think I look my weight.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Lots of people guess me lower but it's because they're mentally comparing to what an average-height woman of my proportions would weigh. I'm almost 5'8" so that skews it. But some other people are good at guessing weight and they mentally adjust for height, and those usually hit the nail on the head with me, to within 5 lbs.